JEEP SAFETY ISSUES - CANADIAN STRANDED IN THE US

mfarquhar

First Name
Mackenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL in November 2022. Since then, I have experienced nothing but problems. My biggest problem is not with the fact that the car has problems (I know that all cars do). My biggest problem is that Jeep has proven to be wholly inadequate at servicing their vehicles or providing alternative solutions.

Here’s a timeline of my experience with my Jeep that I wanted to drive down to California with (the dream that everyone has when they buy a Jeep).

Last month, the check engine light came on and I was having issues accelerating on the highway. I quickly pulled over and had the car towed to the closest dealership (Jeep South Figuroa). They diagnosed the issue as a broken engine oil separator. Unfortunately, the part would take 7+ weeks to arrive at the dealership and in the meantime, they were unable to provide me with any other alternative vehicle. I would also have to find a way to stay in Los Angeles until my car was repaired. They also weren’t 100% sure this was the issue but thought this was a first good step in solving the problem. I paid for the diagnosis and had my car towed to my rental. I was able to order the part myself, which arrived within three weeks from an authorized parts dealer, and I had it installed by a reputable local mechanic.

Fast forward three weeks to this Sunday. Check engine light comes back on, the automatic stop/start isn’t ‘ready’, the electric throttle control warning light comes on and, while driving full-sped on a 5-lane highway, I can no longer apply acceleration to my Jeep. Totally dangerous and really scary. I had to navigate crossing five lanes on a busy highway with no throttle or be stranded on the HOV lane. It was incredibly scary for me and my passengers and unfortunately, not the first time this had happened in the Jeep. More little problems like the radio and air conditioning make their own decisions on when to work. Again, I bring it straight to a Jeep dealer (different one this time). They called us on Monday with the details of what we experienced, and on Tuesday they provided us with a list of codes that had come up in their inspection. They asked us for the diagnosis report from the previous time we brought our Jeep in, which we promptly sent 10 minutes after the call. Then we heard silence for two days until today when WE called THEM. It turns out, they need another $1200 (so $1400 total) to further diagnose the issue. So, the car has been sitting for the last three days in the dealership with no work being done.

I have now spent USD $3100 on diagnoses, parts and mechanics with no solution yet in sight. I am stranded in Los Angeles, unable to return to Canada without my car. I am accruing rental car and accommodation bills waiting for my car to be fixed so I can go home. I have received little to no support from the dealerships, or Jeep customer support. I’m losing trust in the Jeep brand and I no longer feel safe driving this vehicle.

EDIT: They’ve just called us back to let us know that they won’t be able to diagnose the problem until maybe June 5 (11 days from now). Our car will be sitting at the dealership for 14+ days in total without a diagnosis.
Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
If your Jeep isn't under warranty then isn't there someplace else you can take it to get timely service? I wouldn't screw with that dealership any longer if I didn't have to. Just curious... And really sorry to hear of the mounting issues you're having. That sucks!

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Having said that, an actual dealer service department is the last place I would go to for non warranty work. We have the Wrangler and an Audi A7, for both of them the dealer service department is the last place I would go to for service. I do most of my own work but for the few times I have taken them in for repairs it was always an independent shop I went to.

Dealership service department techs will hook up to the computer and read the code then start changing parts in the order that the code recommends rather than testing to figure out what the actual problem is

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
If you're out of warrantee try somewhere other than a dealer. Many dealer service shops are only in business because people assume that's the best place to take their Jeep. Often it isn't. Remember, Jeep Dealerships are NOT Jeep. They're independent businesses. Service can vary wildly.

What were the codes thrown?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’ll diagnose it right now. It needs two new batteries. The main and the auxiliary. The cost for those from an auto parts store like O’Reilly’s is about $350. You need an H7 94R main and a group 14 aux.

There are threads here about how to change them. Ideally you would eliminate the aux and just got with the H7 94R main. Many do this and have no problems.

However, you are stranded far from home. So I suggest just replacing them for now. Unless a member of this board is in the LA area and wants to help.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/battery-talk.195/

Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I’m in the LA/OC area. Is there anything I can do to help you? While I can’t recommend a dealership (and wouldn’t), I do know a couple of very good mechanics in the region whom are knowledgeable. One of them is a gruff, sarcastic, unapologetic man who would give you the shirt off his back and is a damn good mechanic, just don’t expect him to smell like roses. I also firmly believe his is one of the most honest people I’ve met.

If you need help swapping batteries let me know. We are home tomorrow through early afternoon and then back Sunday.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I’ll diagnose it right now. It needs two new batteries. The main and the auxiliary. The cost for those from an auto parts store like O’Reilly’s is about $350. You need an H7 94R main and a group 14 aux.
I'm not a mechanic, but after spending even a few weeks here, it's become apparent that anytime someone starts having problems with the electronic start/stop, unexplained stereo gremlins and a bunch of random codes being thrown, that replacing the dual batteries is almost always the problem, or at least the cheapest, quickest and most readily available troubleshooting step.

It's always possible that it might not be the underlying issue, but with the frequency that it is, why in the hell does almost every f'ing Jeep dealer not know to try this first and instead, leave customers without their damn vehicle for weeks or months on end while waiting for other random parts that are always on backorder? :facepalm:

@JeepCares Please excuse my french, but shit like this is what makes your brand look really bad.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL in November 2022. Since then, I have experienced nothing but problems. My biggest problem is not with the fact that the car has problems (I know that all cars do). My biggest problem is that Jeep has proven to be wholly inadequate at servicing their vehicles or providing alternative solutions.

Here’s a timeline of my experience with my Jeep that I wanted to drive down to California with (the dream that everyone has when they buy a Jeep).

Last month, the check engine light came on and I was having issues accelerating on the highway. I quickly pulled over and had the car towed to the closest dealership (Jeep South Figuroa). They diagnosed the issue as a broken engine oil separator. Unfortunately, the part would take 7+ weeks to arrive at the dealership and in the meantime, they were unable to provide me with any other alternative vehicle. I would also have to find a way to stay in Los Angeles until my car was repaired. They also weren’t 100% sure this was the issue but thought this was a first good step in solving the problem. I paid for the diagnosis and had my car towed to my rental. I was able to order the part myself, which arrived within three weeks from an authorized parts dealer, and I had it installed by a reputable local mechanic.

Fast forward three weeks to this Sunday. Check engine light comes back on, the automatic stop/start isn’t ‘ready’, the electric throttle control warning light comes on and, while driving full-sped on a 5-lane highway, I can no longer apply acceleration to my Jeep. Totally dangerous and really scary. I had to navigate crossing five lanes on a busy highway with no throttle or be stranded on the HOV lane. It was incredibly scary for me and my passengers and unfortunately, not the first time this had happened in the Jeep. More little problems like the radio and air conditioning make their own decisions on when to work. Again, I bring it straight to a Jeep dealer (different one this time). They called us on Monday with the details of what we experienced, and on Tuesday they provided us with a list of codes that had come up in their inspection. They asked us for the diagnosis report from the previous time we brought our Jeep in, which we promptly sent 10 minutes after the call. Then we heard silence for two days until today when WE called THEM. It turns out, they need another $1200 (so $1400 total) to further diagnose the issue. So, the car has been sitting for the last three days in the dealership with no work being done.

I have now spent USD $3100 on diagnoses, parts and mechanics with no solution yet in sight. I am stranded in Los Angeles, unable to return to Canada without my car. I am accruing rental car and accommodation bills waiting for my car to be fixed so I can go home. I have received little to no support from the dealerships, or Jeep customer support. I’m losing trust in the Jeep brand and I no longer feel safe driving this vehicle.

EDIT: They’ve just called us back to let us know that they won’t be able to diagnose the problem until maybe June 5 (11 days from now). Our car will be sitting at the dealership for 14+ days in total without a diagnosis.
I'm with The Last Cowboy on the batteries being a likely suspect. I'm retired and in Torrance, about 10 miles south of LAX. I have a the tools and time to help if needed. Frankly, if I were you, I'd call the dealership and have them charge the batteries and return the vehicle to you. You can either meet up with ChuckQue or me to swap in the new batteries. PM me if you need me.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
BTW, I also have a JSCAN app and the harness to read and clear the codes. If there is something other than the batteries wrong, it'll throw the codes again after clearing and installing new batteries.

OP
OP
mfarquhar

mfarquhar

First Name
Mackenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I’m in the LA/OC area. Is there anything I can do to help you? While I can’t recommend a dealership (and wouldn’t), I do know a couple of very good mechanics in the region whom are knowledgeable. One of them is a gruff, sarcastic, unapologetic man who would give you the shirt off his back and is a damn good mechanic, just don’t expect him to smell like roses. I also firmly believe his is one of the most honest people I’ve met.

If you need help swapping batteries let me know. We are home tomorrow through early afternoon and then back Sunday.
I would love your recommendations for a mechanic! Our car is in Glendora, but happy to tow our car where needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mfarquhar

mfarquhar

First Name
Mackenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
If you're out of warrantee try somewhere other than a dealer. Many dealer service shops are only in business because people assume that's the best place to take their Jeep. Often it isn't. Remember, Jeep Dealerships are NOT Jeep. They're independent businesses. Service can vary wildly.

What were the codes thrown?
Codes:
- P06DE
- P0016
- P000A

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I would love your recommendations for a mechanic! Our car is in Glendora, but happy to tow our car where needed.
Ken’s Automotive in Huntington Beach. Tell him Charles with the XJ Jeep sent you.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
...with the frequency that it is, why in the hell does almost every f'ing Jeep dealer not know to try this first and instead, leave customers without their damn vehicle for weeks or months on end while waiting for other random parts that are always on backorder? :facepalm:
@JeepCares Please excuse my french, but shit like this is what makes your brand look really bad.
Because they can juice the bill running diagnostics before doing the obvious: swap in new batteries. I agree... this sounds like a classic battery failure scenario.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Codes:
- P06DE
- P0016
- P000A
These codes were more than likely set when the voltage got too low for those systems to function properly, causing the sensors to log the codes. All of the electronic controls and systems on the engine, and there are more than most realize, need a good steady, strong current to keep it running properly.

The problem with the dual battery ESS system is that the small auxiliary battery can die and the only clue you have is that ESS fails to stop the engine when in drive and stopped. You may also see a message that says ESS not ready/battery charging. But there will be no warning light on the dash display. So, eventually, the aux battery drains the main. Maybe you've noticed a slightly slower crank than usual, or the radio screen goes blank for a moment. These are signs that the main is on it's death bed. These batteries can't simply be recharged like old lead acid batteries. When they die, the die hard and with a vengeance.

The dealer will charge you for diagnostics and then charge you full parts counter price for the batteries, then charge you the labor. I've seen people get hit with a $1500 charge just for batteries. And them putting you at the back of the line, to wait for weeks, for a simple job that will take them an hour is bad customer service.
Sponsored