Sponsored

Jeep Rubicon Order - Xtreme Package Mandatory?

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
But.... I mean.... buying "THE RUBICON" and not going anywhere where you'll need to use lockers and then calling an Altitude with a Rubi hood "upbadging".... It is a poser move regardless. Just own it. Get that altitude and get the hood lol who cares. You can even get a Sport S, get the good, rubicon takeoff wheels/tires and nobody will even know it is not a Rubicon.
I happen to agree. Why even buy a Rubicon? That was my argument too lol. The H/A with the Rub hood is the obvious way to go but she will always want the Rubicon, so that's whatever at this point. My question was more about if they tend to drop the mandatory package add-ons when new model years roll in. If so then maybe we'll wait til Oct when the '22's are available to order. A '21 order this late in the game is almost like a left over anyway.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I happen to agree. Why even buy a Rubicon? That was my argument too lol. The H/A with the Rub hood is the obvious way to go but she will always want the Rubicon, so that's whatever at this point. My question was more about if they tend to drop the mandatory package add-ons when new model years roll in. If so then maybe we'll wait til Oct when the '22's are available to order. A '21 order this late in the game is almost like a left over anyway.
If you were in California I would swap my rubi suspension and tires with yours LOL, and I would pay extra. Not joking though, you could probably find someone to do a swap for 33s and suspension and they should pay you some. If your wife's rubi is not seeing offroad ,onroad manners will be much better on 33s and original suspension as well.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
If you were in California I would swap my rubi suspension and tires with yours LOL, and I would pay extra. Not joking though, you could probably find someone to do a swap for 33s and suspension and they should pay you some. If your wife's rubi is not seeing offroad ,onroad manners will be much better on 33s and original suspension as well.
Agreed and yep she's actually aware and this is why we're not stoked to pay $4k for something that she'll never really use AND have worse road manners. That's turning her off about buying one at all now, being forced to take a certain package just to not be stuck with a four popper. I sort of get it, I mean even Burger King lets you get it "your way" lol. I like your idea.

HawaiiSlim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
SWE
Hi Everyone I’m looking forward to owning my first Jeep. Finally went to put an order for a fully loaded Jeep Rubicon and the dealer comes back to tell me that Jeep is making it mandatory to order the Xtreme Recon Package. That package for me it’s an over kill since I’m barely going to take it off-roading.
Does anyone have an idea as of how long Jeep usually forces certain options?

I really need a car like at most 3 months and would hate to settle for a Sahara pay taxes and lose money to later get what I really want which is a Rubicon.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gladly appreciated.
Its only mandatory for certain engines (3.6L is one of them)! Take it from me, I wanted the XR Package so bad with my 3.0L Turbo Diesel but you can’t combine the two.

Vrrooom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I don’t believe you can order a 21 now, I think orders are closed. Ordering a 22 would likely be a 2022 delivery date, or at least December.

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Damn bro, we are in the same spot lol . The problem is that I need a car by no later than October. Otherwise I would just wait until the orders open back up for the regular V6 no extreme recon package. Does anyone have pictures of how the Xtreme Recon will look like on a Rubicon. Another thing is if you get the Xtreme package and to quite loaded rubicon which I was going to get will get me to 68k MSRP. That’s awesome Xtremely Close to the price of the 392 which in my opinion it’s a much better option for a 6k difference.
The 392 are now being required to order the XR as well. it is closer to 12k with the price increases.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

That Sahara is gonna come out of the trail looking like a crushed can lol. Specially being a 4 door and with plastic sliders. Getting through the Rubicon trail with a stock rubicon 4 door without damage is not easy feat at all. Maybe youtube makes it look like it.
Probably true - I was using an extreme example to prove the point. OP said he isn't going to off-road much, but doesn't want to "settle" with a Sahara, as though the Sahara isn't a capable beast in its own right. If he's "not going to off-road much" then the Sahara will likely handle anything he's likely to hit.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Probably true - I was using an extreme example to prove the point. OP said he isn't going to off-road much, but doesn't want to "settle" with a Sahara, as though the Sahara isn't a capable beast in its own right. If he's "not going to off-road much" then the Sahara will likely handle anything he's likely to hit.
Yeah of course, it is a Jeep. But they just want that Rubi sticker.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I think this is less about "giving the customer what they want" and more about brand image. The XR package is aimed squarely at the Bronco Sasquatch package. I think Jeep's just trying to rush it to market to take the wind out of Ford's sails and before they recover from the manufacturing issues they're having. If people get used to seeing stock Jeeps with Rubicon badging rolling around on 35's; the Sasquatch won't make much of an impact.

OP
OP
edisonstar23

edisonstar23

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I think this is less about "giving the customer what they want" and more about brand image. The XR package is aimed squarely at the Bronco Sasquatch package. I think Jeep's just trying to rush it to market to take the wind out of Ford's sails and before they recover from the manufacturing issues they're having. If people get used to seeing stock Jeeps with Rubicon badging rolling around on 35's; the Sasquatch won't make much of an impact.

For all the previous posts who argued why even bothered getting a Rubicon for little off-roading. There is also a nicer, more sporty look to a Rubicon. So it's just the utility but also the looks that come with it.

I totally agree with you- I think Jeep's move is based on pure defensive marketing against the Bronco.

Sponsored

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
In the meantime they're really pi&&ing off customers, like me, who don't want that package and now cannot order a Rubicon. That policy is best for Jeep (in their minds) and not for Jeep's customers.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

In the meantime they're really pi&&ing off customers, like me, who don't want that package and now cannot order a Rubicon. That policy is best for Jeep (in their minds) and not for Jeep's customers.
You're absolutely correct, but this IS corporate America. They rarely sacrifice to please their customers, they do what's best for themselves and their share holders. For what it's worth I think the fact that the XR package is an additional option on top of the Rubi would suggests that this is temporary, otherwise I would expect to see them just change the Rubicon package to include all the added features along with a permanent price increase. If you could get anyone to talk as to why they've made this mandatory I would guess it would be the standard "microchip shortage" BS. They're just trying to put their best foot forward ahead of the Bronco

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

For all the previous posts who argued why even bothered getting a Rubicon for little off-roading. There is also a nicer, more sporty look to a Rubicon. So it's just the utility but also the looks that come with it.

I totally agree with you- I think Jeep's move is based on pure defensive marketing against the Bronco.
I think the argument here is that you could buy something like a Sahara package with limited slip, 35's, and a mild lift, for a substantial savings and a bigger, nicer looking Jeep that is still exceptional off road. Why pay for gears/axles/lockers/sway bar disconnect/etc. if you don't need them?

If you don't mind me asking, what is your build plan? I think we're just trying to keep you from spending a bunch of money on expensive parts you may not need.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Was at my dealership this afternoon and you can still get a Rubicon without the ER package in a manual transmission. It is mandatory however with the auto trans per the build tool.

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
Good info here.
I was looking to order a 2021 Rubicon, but just got the bad news about the mandatory $4,000 extreme package...really pisses me off to say it nicely...
Dealer told me 2.0 Turbos are not available to order right now either, but maybe in the next allocation in September. Might as well wait and order a 2022 in October then...

After reading all the replies to this thread, I've switched gears and decided to build a Sport S, which in all honesty, won't be used that much off road anyway.

One Question:
Is the Rubicon hood available to order for a Sport S? Any secrets to getting that done?
(I know, it's kind of a "poser" thing in my case here, but I really like the looks of that vented hood) lol
Sponsored