Sponsored

Jeep roof rack with Sky One-Touch power top?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi.

The issue I see--much that I have never tried this nor do I own a Sky One-Touch power top, is that it may be contradicted for opening the power top when the MOPAR (or gutter based) rails are used.

Gobi--as you likely know--a big maker of high end Wrangler roof racks-- came out with an edition of their rack that rides higher, expressly for owners with this power top, to accomodate the fact that when the top is open, its folds ride higher than their base rack could accomodate.

I imagine though that as long as you commit to not opening the power top while these rails are on---or at least not opening it beyond the most forward cross rail, that you should be fine. :)

OP
OP
sna77

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi.

The issue I see--much that I have never tried this nor do I own a Sky One-Touch power top, is that it may be contradicted for opening the power top when the MOPAR (or gutter based) rails are used.

Gobi--as you likely know--a big maker of high end Wrangler roof racks-- came out with an edition of their rack that rides higher, expressly for owners with this power top, to accommodate the fact that when the top is open, its folds ride higher than their base rack could accommodate.

I imagine though that as long as you commit to not opening the power top while these rails are on---or at least not opening it beyond the most forward cross rail, that you should be fine.
This is what I'm thinking... As long as I don't open the power top (no chance in 10 degree weather at the mountain), it should be fine... Don't think I need to worry about the Gobi--the added clearance is probably too high to reach easily anyhow...

So the question is, do I go with the Jeep roof rails for $295:
https://store.mopar.com/accessories..._side_rails/removable_roof_rack_82215387.html

or the Thule ones for $439:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-ra...ar=jeep-wrangler+jl+(hard+top)-4dr-suv-_-NhTv

Interestingly, the Mopar branded ski carrier ($255)
https://store.mopar.com/accessories...orts/ski_and_snowboard_carrier__TCS92725.html

...is just a Thule 92725 (according to the instructions on the Mopar site), which is a universal carrier designed to fit multiple cross rails.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/sport-rack/ski-racks/thule-snowpack-l-_-7326

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This is what I'm thinking... As long as I don't open the power top (no chance in 10 degree weather at the mountain), it should be fine... Don't think I need to worry about the Gobi--the added clearance is probably too high to reach easily anyhow...

So the question is, do I go with the Jeep roof rails for $295:
https://store.mopar.com/accessories..._side_rails/removable_roof_rack_82215387.html

or the Thule ones for $439:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-ra...ar=jeep-wrangler+jl+(hard+top)-4dr-suv-_-NhTv

Interestingly, the Mopar branded ski carrier ($255)
https://store.mopar.com/accessories...orts/ski_and_snowboard_carrier__TCS92725.html

...is just a Thule 92725 (according to the instructions on the Mopar site), which is a universal carrier designed to fit multiple cross rails.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/sport-rack/ski-racks/thule-snowpack-l-_-7326
OP. As your questions delve into style and cost, and away from fitment, personal preference plays--as you must know--a greater role.

You're going to pay more for Thule but have more attachment options. Then again, under the saying that "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link," your limiting factor here may be the weight the rain gutters can hold regardless of which rain gutter fitting gear you buy--which I want to say I heard was 150 pounds on the hard top (don't quote me, and I'm not sure it's the same for the power top--but probably is.)

What I can suggest, in the interest of not having to spend twice, is "pay once and cry once" by thinking now about what, if any things, you might haul on the top of the rig down the road, aside from what I presume right now is just ski gear. Maybe roof gutter fitment is all you need, but what's more expensive than a Gobi or LOD Offroad rack (I'm not sure if LOD's rack clears an open power top) is to first buy a roof rail system and THEN a Gobi or LOD--if you catch my [snow-ha ha] drift.

Peace. :)

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Depends what you want it for.

mid you want a rooftop tent or something then the gobi is you only option. If you just need a little extra space on a rare occasion you could go gutter racks. Another option is a hitch basket. Will hold more weight, no risk damaging your top, and is the cheapest option. Doesn’t look good but if you just needed it for the odd trip here and there would be my first bet.

I have a one touch and for trips and camping plan to use a hitch basket. Don’t want the weight and cost of the gobi or to deal with not being able to use my top or damage it from the rails.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sky touch and I think the best course of action is to get the easily removable cross bars that attach to the gutters. This way you can attach the rails when you need them. Although attached you won't be able to open your top. Then take them off when you don't need them. The only permanent option that I'm aware of is the Gobi rack and it looks dumb and doesn't have a rail on top.

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I would get the weight rating of your top, I am sure its different than a hard top.To be clear there are at least two safari racks that I know of that fit the SKY ONE, Gobi and LOD produce them. I am not following the above comment about gobi racks " to deal with not being able to use my top or damage it from the rail", the option to still use the power top and clear the rails is exactly what these companies racks and likely others in time do. I have seen a THULE gutter mount w/ additional height that also allows the top to open again what is the top rated to carry?

OP
OP
sna77

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I only plan to use the rack for skis... so minimal weight, and only a handful of times each winter...

Also, I have no intention ov ever opening the top during winter with the racks on the roof. Even if the rack cleared the top when back, the ski bindings would hit the top. I look at it the same as not opening the sunroof on my 5 series when I have the ski racks on...

Thx for the help all. I'll update when I make a decision...

Sponsored

RV4tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
I only plan to use the rack for skis... so minimal weight, and only a handful of times each winter...

Also, I have no intention ov ever opening the top during winter with the racks on the roof. Even if the rack cleared the top when back, the ski bindings would hit the top. I look at it the same as not opening the sunroof on my 5 series when I have the ski racks on...

Thx for the help all. I'll update when I make a decision...
No Intent until someone else push the button or you forget. Don't know how many pictures I have seen of people with roof bike rack pulling into garage with bikes on the roof. Ouch only takes once.

OP
OP
sna77

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Intent until someone else push the button or you forget. Don't know how many pictures I have seen of people with roof bike rack pulling into garage with bikes on the roof. Ouch only takes once.
I'm 43 years old and have been riding with ski racks on various cars with sunroofs for 20+ years... I feel OK here on this. :)

Besides, even a higher mount wont solve the binding hitting the roof if it opens issue... The only answer would be a box (no thanks) or trailer hitch (PITA, skis get gross and cant access the trunk without taking things apart)...

According to this video, Thule makes an extended leg for the rain gutter, so looks like those could be used easily if you wanted to go higher with the rack... Although, honesly I want to be able to fit the Jeep in my garage soon and might start running into clearance issues with the extended rack..

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I would get the weight rating of your top, I am sure its different than a hard top.To be clear there are at least two safari racks that I know of that fit the SKY ONE, Gobi and LOD produce them. I am not following the above comment about gobi racks " to deal with not being able to use my top or damage it from the rail", the option to still use the power top and clear the rails is exactly what these companies racks and likely others in time do. I have seen a THULE gutter mount w/ additional height that also allows the top to open again what is the top rated to carry?
Richard:

Can you confirm that the LOD rack for JL "fits" the power top?

Note that "fit" is in quotes. I write it this way because I perfectly agree that the base LOD rack (that which attaches to the rig barring any crossmember assemblies,) whose bird's eye view footprint exceeds that of any JL roof top, won't get in the way of the power top's operation.

It's when gear is added to this rack that I have concerns...and maybe LOD has already confirmed this not an issue (and you know that.) :)

The base cross members for this rack are straight but for two slight bends at each end that allow them to ride higher their attachment point to the roof.

jk-jl_base_rack_cross_bar_kit_yellow_highlight_no_words.jpg

Perhaps LOD did it this way to allow the rack to sit lower but otherwise above the hard top, and yet still clear the rack's cross members to clear an OEM soft top, which rides a couple of inches higher--if not the power top in open mode as well.

Then of course there's the sliding rack option rather than the cross members.

jk-jl_sliding_rack_highlighted_jrs0791_yellow_highlight_no_words.jpg

It too I hope rides high enough.

If you know, please share.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Richard:

Can you confirm that the LOD rack for JL "fits" the power top?

Note that "fit" is in quotes. I write it this way because I perfectly agree that the base LOD rack (that which attaches to the rig barring any crossmember assemblies,) whose bird's eye view footprint exceeds that of any JL roof top, won't get in the way of the power top's operation.

It's when gear is added to this rack that I have concerns...and maybe LOD has already confirmed this not an issue (and you know that.) :)

The base cross members for this rack are straight but for two slight bends at each end that allow them to ride higher their attachment point to the roof.

jk-jl_base_rack_cross_bar_kit_yellow_highlight_no_words.jpg

Perhaps LOD did it this way to allow the rack to sit lower but otherwise above the hard top, and yet still clear the rack's cross members to clear an OEM soft top, which rides a couple of inches higher--if not the power top in open mode as well.

Then of course there's the sliding rack option rather than the cross members.

jk-jl_sliding_rack_highlighted_jrs0791_yellow_highlight_no_words.jpg

It too I hope rides high enough.

If you know, please share.
Gee-pah,
Just wanted to chime in here, both our base rack with crossmembers and our sliding rack (both shown above) are compatible with the Sky One Touch Power Top!