Sponsored

Jeep roof rack with Sky One-Touch power top?

ELAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4Door Rubicon
New to the Forum and a new Jeep owner so pardon my ignorance on most things Jeep. I came on for the sole purpose to find a roof rack that would work with the Power One Touch. Cross Bars Specifically. Yakima seemed to be the only ones that advertised compatibility so I gave them a go.
As you can see from the first pic, I used the spacers so that the roof could fully open while the racks were installed, but in my opinion they were way too tall. Didn't like the look and felt that once I added a cargo box or Snowboard racks the drag would be too much. I took the spacers out (second picture) and the look is a lot better but I have found that it is REALLY Loud. I think primarily because of the soft top.

Have any of you found an optimal placement on the roof that lessens the noise factor? In addition, have any of you found that some Cargo Boxes or quieter than others? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
New to the Forum and a new Jeep owner so pardon my ignorance on most things Jeep. I came on for the sole purpose to find a roof rack that would work with the Power One Touch. Cross Bars Specifically. Yakima seemed to be the only ones that advertised compatibility so I gave them a go.
As you can see from the first pic, I used the spacers so that the roof could fully open while the racks were installed, but in my opinion they were way too tall. Didn't like the look and felt that once I added a cargo box or Snowboard racks the drag would be too much. I took the spacers out (second picture) and the look is a lot better but I have found that it is REALLY Loud. I think primarily because of the soft top.

Have any of you found an optimal placement on the roof that lessens the noise factor? In addition, have any of you found that some Cargo Boxes or quieter than others? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg
Elad--in your experiences you've given me an idea to "pipe dream" incorporating small, vertical linear actuators at each attachment point to raise a rack that sits just North of where the power top bunches up in back when open. The design can raise the rack a couple of inches, just before its (fully) opened or closed, and then bring the rack back down again provided the top's fully opened or closed. (I know the power top can stop at any point in this length--but I'll discount that for now.)

It will probably be cost prohibitive compared to just getting a "Gobi rack for Power Top" but I'll have to see.

It's a small market to sell to...but thanks for the inspiration. You've given me something to think about.:)

ELAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4Door Rubicon
Elad--in your experiences you've given me an idea to "pipe dream" incorporating small, vertical linear actuators at each attachment point to raise a rack that sits just North of where the power top bunches up in back when open. The design can raise the rack a couple of inches, just before its (fully) opened or closed, and then bring the rack back down again provided the top's fully opened or closed. (I know the power top can stop at any point in this length--but I'll discount that for now.)

It will probably be cost prohibitive compared to just getting a "Gobi rack for Power Top" but I'll have to see.

It's a small market to sell to...but thanks for the inspiration. You've given me something to think about.:)
Like the idea and glad to have been an inspiration for you. Let me know when you're done and I'll be your first customer.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase

In your second pic does it still clear the soft top?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
In your second pic does it still clear the soft top?
Hey Mike. I think you meant to direct this question to @ELAD -- who I would guess would reply that the taller rain gutter mounts are sufficiently high enough--aesthetics notwithstanding--to clear the power top, as that's, I think, what the extension poles on each of the 4 mounts were designed for. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
sna77

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sorry for taking forever to update the thread, been busy.

I ended up going with the Thule crossbars and the 6 pair extendable ski carrier. Only tip I have was to move the front crossbar back to where the second door begins. Thule recommends 18" from the front of the roof, but I found moving the cross bars back a bit drastically reduces flapping noise of the roof...

Full order was this:

Thule Wingbar Evo 150 (60in.) Black
Thule 300R Rapid Rain Gutter - Low
Thule 544 4-pack Lock Cores (matched the locks on the ski carrier and the rack)
Thule Snowpack Extender Ski & Snowboard Rack - Black

$900ish, installed (I'm lazy and work a lot). I plan to use it for exactly 0 activities outside of skiing and I know Thule makes a reliable product/ plus I can always move the Showpack extender to a different vehicle if I want to... And again, I will never open the SkyTop with the ski rack on (it's just like remembering not to open a sunroof with a ski rack on folks--not a big deal at all)... I added a pic at the end to show you the height of the crossbars showing that you can't open the SkyTop.. If it really bothers you, I saw a YouTube video where someone put tall Thule rain gutter feet on (substitute for the 300R), but I couldn't find the part number (didn't really look)...

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

back.jpg

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
I just put these on!

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep roof rack with Sky One-Touch power top? IMG_7855

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep roof rack with Sky One-Touch power top? IMG_7856

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep roof rack with Sky One-Touch power top? IMG_7857

My thought was to carry that bike in the background, possibly a kayak, our two inflatable SUPs, and maybe a basket for gear. Of course not at all at the same time :) Well maybe....

I took about 6 weeks for delivery as the supplier was running low. Etrailers was very good at communicating this and letting me know what the schedule was going to be.

OP
OP
sna77

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just put these on!

My thought was to carry that bike in the background, possibly a kayak, our two inflatable SUPs, and maybe a basket for gear. Of course not at all at the same time :) Well maybe....

I took about 6 weeks for delivery as the supplier was running low. Etrailers was very good at communicating this and letting me know what the schedule was going to be.
Look great! Can you link the product please?

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
I just put these on!

Curious if the removable windows leak when installed with rack and raining.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sna77

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Is it this set?
https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/pro...tex/vortex-rl110-black-2-bar-roof-rack_jb0099

with these legs to extend over the retracted roof:
https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/pro...ck-parts/spacers/vortex-bar-rl-fit-kit_va-fk1

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
Not sure. We haven’t had rain lately, but I can spray it down and check. I don’t think they would though.
i washed it today and just for you I sprayed the windows every which way I could while keeping the door open so I could check for leaks. There were none!

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
How has the wind noise been? On another post some members have said its really loud?