Sponsored

Jeep remote key fob, who designed this thing?

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I bought these a few years ago and they work great at keeping the key from popping out. Great fit and look nice too.

https://a.co/d/hbv92X1
I use these, and yes I chose the color to match the Jeep. They do make the fob even bigger. I recently decided to take it off, and after 2 days of the key opening in my pocket, went right back on.
Sponsored

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
I laughed out loud at the salesman when he handed it to me. It reminded me of the old giant “fobs” that they attached to gas station bathroom keys, back in the day. I bought it anyway. Some brand new design engineer’s first independent project.

GregorioJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I havent touched or moved my fob since I bought the jeep three years ago. It sits in the little slot in the console. Spare is in the drawer in the kitchen. I noticed it yesterday while rummaging for a roll of electrical tape.

Yeah, my life is such that i never lock my rides...or my house. I'm sure that sounds stupid to most of you, but it's worked for me for a very long time.
I lived in Va Beach for a minute and never locked my doors. I didn't have anything worth dying for though. Thing about the FOB is if the battery is jacked up, you can put it in the button and the RFID chip will start the vehicle. That said, I think you could put a wire in series with the K1 relay if you have the trailer package and aux switches, that would prevent someone from electronically jacking your Jeep, they would need physical access. Also the FOB batteries are cheap and you should replace those before you need to.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I really hate my 2022 Wrangler Remote.
1. too big
2. too heavy
3. terrible shape
4. weighs my pants down, my pants are falling off.
5. already put a hole in my two front pockets, I need to reinforce my pockets.
6. That darn key pops out and pokes my ( you know what )

My 2020 Winnebago Horizon Motorhome Remote is 1/2 the size and weighs 1/3 as much.
Does all the same things.

My 2004 Liberty Remote did all the same stuff too, even smaller.
My 2017 Honda Pilot Remote is perfect, does all the same
I hear ya...

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep remote key fob, who designed this thing? fob

Sponsored

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
Buy a fob holster from Gibson leather. I have them for both of my Jeeps and love them. The fob is on my belt and never really have to think about it. No holes in the pockets or poking myself you know where and I already have a belt so my pants aren't falling down. I only need to press the button to lock/unlock my Wrangler and the Gladiator has keyless proximity locks so I don't even have to do that. To me this is totally a non-issue.

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it's a bit ridiculous, especially considering the Grand Cherokee (same features) is far smaller and the key can just pop right out of the fob itself, not with the flip switch.

Not a fan but love my Jeep so just gotta roll with the punches

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Love the post answers
Pretty stupid post about pants falling down and holes in pockets - sounds like someone who shouldn't be allowed to drive if he can't operate a belt and very poor if his clothes are that tattered that he gets holes from a key fob and yet bought a JL ?
Love the post answers though - you guys are great 🥳🤩

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
It's not the weight, it's just the unnecessary bulk, especially if carrying some other shit (phone, other keys, wallet, knife, gun, lighter, dip/smokes, flashlight, whatever).

I probably wouldn't mind so much if most pants and jeans didn't have such puny little pockets that you can barely put your fucking hand inside to grab something. I personally try to carry the bare minimum of shit that I'll need, and I'm not into rocking a man purse or strapping a million holsters to my belt and pretending like I'm the deputy sheriff.

It's not a major deal or anything, it's just unnecessarily large for what it is.
Duluth Fire Hose shorts and pants.

Knife and light in left cargo pocked. Phone in right cargo pocket. Pistol appendix. Wallet in left front pocket. Right front pocket has a change pocket in the bottom that holds the key fob nicely.

This reminds me of a thread about quality items.
  • Duluth Fire Hose pants
  • Benchmade Auto Adamas knife
  • Olight M2R Warrior Pro light
  • Sig P365 pistol
  • Citizen Skyhawk watch
  • Jeep JL (key)

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
My question: What idiot bought it and now complains over it? I can't imagine that you didn't see the remote when you test drove the vehicle. If you didn't like the remote, why buy the vehicle?

This has been debated here since 2018. Some folks simply place a rubber band around it and the key stays in place. Some folks buy a leather case for it from Gibson leather which to me is the way to go.

If we took a poll, I bet you'd find that only the inventor really likes it!
Your first sentence and last sentence makes me wonder. Are you an idiot, or the inventor?

I can't image being a man complaining about carrying 68 grams in my pocket.
Can you imagine being a man in other ways?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Duluth Fire Hose shorts and pants.

Knife and light in left cargo pocked. Phone in right cargo pocket. Pistol appendix. Wallet in left front pocket. Right front pocket has a change pocket in the bottom that holds the key fob nicely.
Besides the extra cargo pockets, are the regular front pockets any deeper than normal? Back pockets look adequate, albeit a bit high for my liking (wallet feels more comfortable sitting closer to my leg than my ass). It's a shame they don't make any longer shorts than 11" though. 13" regular fit Dickies is about perfect for that, but all the pockets are far too small/shallow. Went back to buying JNCO jeans and shorts, which have insanely large pockets which I appreciate, but unfortunately, the vast majority of their styles are comically baggy 90s rave/skater attire. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT