Jeep reliability according to Consumer Reports 2022 study

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I would suggest you educate yourself by taking a stroll through ANY new car dealerships service department and note the number of NEW vehicles in for warranty repair...
Doesn't change my opinion. Any car that needs a warranty repair in the standard warranty length is unreliable.

I knew I took my chances buying a potentially unreliable vehicle when I bought my Jeep. I sure as hell won't brag if I ONLY get 20k miles before needing to use the warranty.
Sponsored

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
^^^ This is true.

Having said that, Jeep sees itself now as a "luxury" brand and is charging insane amounts of money...without giving us the "luxury" customer service in return.
OMG. Could you imagine paying for a $100K + Wagoneer and getting this crap level of service. Holy Moly Batman.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Worse, C&D will put Wrangler on the track and the skid pad, and report a whole bunch of stats that are largely irrelevant to the average Jeep buyer.
It's funny, my little brother owns a corvette shop that hosts track events. I keep telling him my Jeep would beat every Corvette there, but I don't want to deal with all the whining and complaining about how I'm supposed to stay on the track.

Hey, that's your limitation. Not mine! Don't be so myopic.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
OMG. Could you imagine paying for a $100K + Wagoneer and getting this crap level of service. Holy Moly Batman.
I guess I would argue they deserve it?
I speced out a GW just for fun. 128 Grand.
That is just ignorant.

AFAIK there is only one GW in our city.
The 4 four foot nothing girl that was driving it was exuding a massive "better than thou" attitude. I just felt sorry for her.

The good thing about a GW is they have prodded me to raise my insurance limits. Who would ever have guessed a 100/300 limit would be insufficient.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I agree with you 100%. That's what I said it is a purposely built vehicle.
It is very unfortunate but we all know majority of the Jeeps on the street are being used the same way as CRVs. I think it is fair to assess the reliability from that angle for the "majority". You can argue that people shouldnt get a Jeep if you dont plan on off-roading, all day long.
My point is these reports factor in the hard use customers. Used the same, I doubt the crv is all that much more reliable. On road, commuting grocery getters that never get driven aggressively the crv probably has a slight edge. Of course if you flip the narrative and drive them both hard off road my money is on the Wrangler being infinitely more reliable.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
There is NOT DEBATE to be had.

Jeep driver for 58 years 65-2023. The bulk of that time (up until 1984 it was a off road rig, hunter etc). Begining in 1984 with my first Ordered Wrangler, there have been 17 since to include my 2023 I just got.

These are modern Jeeps. Yes in most cases they were 3rd cars for me. That said they were cars that racked up miles in city traffic (beltway around Wash DC those weekly meetings a the Pentagon, always find a place to park) and off-roading on the weekends. Nothing better in BIG city traffic than a SWBJ. Dodge in and out of traffic and YES the sign says American Airlines parking full, not for a Jeep at DFW airport.

Most of my Jeeps had 25-45 k miles on them at trade-in time. 2 had over 100k.

Let's talk about RELIABILITY! Est Total 84-2023 Jeep mileage 650,xxx miles.

Metrics: To judge reliability since all (17) Jeeps were new then I can only turn to times when it went back to the dealer for warranty service: Let's do the count and the service:

1. AC drip hose came out of the firewall and dripped on the passenger side. The service writer knew exactly what it was reached his hand up under the dash and pushed it thru the firewall all the way.

2. Broken rear driver's side axle shaft. Tear-down showed it to be an internally cracked shaft

3/4. The Rearview mirror showed outside temps. Gave ICE on Road warning in Dallas in July, replaced sending unit and then the mirror itself

5. Ground wire came loose and caused the left rear taillight to blink on and off while driving.

Post repairs after the warranty expired:

1. At 136,000 miles the water pump began to drip.

650,000 miles of driving....YEA, don't buy a Jeep Wrangler those cars are just not dependable.

So who are the people at CR? Extreme Left, Fingernail polish, Ph.D. Basket Weaving, Latte Light, Organic, Almond-Soy milk, DeCafe Coffe and a Straw and a Meatless Breakfast Taco, no hot sauce or Salsa., EV car good more Climate Control

The word Jeep is the same as Real MEN, Off-Road, in the Mud and the Dirt and the Rain, replacing a U joint, on the trail in under 10 min. Jeeps are used in WAR, Jeep bad Jeep is just another word for FREEDOM...
I worked for CR for 1 1/2 years in the testing/technical department. What the manufacturer spends is how the article is written...period end of story. How do I know, because that's what the CFO told me!

The absolutely hate Jeep and compare their elitists bullshit with Wranglers vs Lexus GS. So all of the high level comparison (handling, plushness, steering, wind noise, water drainage....etc )will always be a winner for the high priced spread! Not to mention the fact that I've yet to meet anyone at CR that could outdrive my 13 year old granddaughter off road!

Biased, biased, biased!

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
My point is these reports factor in the hard use customers. Used the same, I doubt the crv is all that much more reliable. On road, commuting grocery getters that never get driven aggressively the crv probably has a slight edge. Of course if you flip the narrative and drive them both hard off road my money is on the Wrangler being infinitely more reliable.
On road, commuting grocery getters that never get driven aggressively.. Honda and Toyota hands down. Dont take my word for it you should try it.

Everything else you are 100% correct!

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I totally get what you are saying.
Jeep, especially Wrangler, it is a purposely built vehicle. Here is the reality tho, I do not have a solid number but I can confidently say there are way more Wranglers on the street that have never seen off-road use than those that have.

Have that in mind, If you take a stock JL sport, doing what majority of consumers use it for, which is city/on road driving A to B day in and day out, A Civic is far more reliable doing the same job. That is my point.

I love my JL. I use it for offroad and leisure driving. I daily a 2005 CRV with 285,000 miles on the clock. I just don't have enough confidence on Jeep's reliability in the long run compared to my Honda.
Fully CONCUR...

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I worked for CR for 1 1/2 years in the testing/technical department. What the manufacturer spends is how the article is written...period end of story. How do I know, because that's what the CFO told me!

The absolutely hate Jeep and compare their elitists bullshit with Wranglers vs Lexus GS. So all of the high level comparison (handling, plushness, steering, wind noise, water drainage....etc )will always be a winner for the high priced spread! Not to mention the fact that I've yet to meet anyone at CR that could outdrive my 13 year old granddaughter off road!

Biased, biased, biased!
LOL, RIGHT ON Bro!

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE, 2010 Unlimited, 2002 2d X
"So who are the people at CR? Extreme Left, Fingernail polish, Ph.D. Basket Weaving, Latte Light, Organic, Almond-Soy milk, DeCafe Coffe and a Straw and a Meatless Breakfast Taco, no hot sauce or Salsa., EV car good more Climate Control

The word Jeep is the same as Real MEN, Off-Road, in the Mud and the Dirt and the Rain, replacing a U joint, on the trail in under 10 min. Jeeps are used in WAR, Jeep bad Jeep is just another word for FREEDOM..."

Just for the record, I am far more like your characterization of people at CR (east coast liberal elite, PhD holding, bought a hybrid jeep, etc.) than I am like the Jeep (starting with the fact that I am a woman).

The problem with CR ratings is not the characteristics you mentioned - it is the criteria on which they are evaluating the vehicle and their lack of understanding of why people buy wranglers in the first place. As soon as they start testing honda's, toytota's, etc. off road, than I will start listening to their opinions.

Sponsored

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Doesn't change my opinion. Any car that needs a warranty repair in the standard warranty length is unreliable.

I knew I took my chances buying a potentially unreliable vehicle when I bought my Jeep. I sure as hell won't brag if I ONLY get 20k miles before needing to use the warranty.
My last Honda (a 2014 Civic Si) was in 5 times for repair during the basic 36,000-mile warranty period. The driver's door handle had to be replaced because the proximity entry stopped working; the hood was repainted twice due to peeling (typical Honda issue - their clearcoat is garbage); and the stock battery was completely shot after a year of ownership, which led to another trip because they forgot to re-calibrate the blind spot camera, and wound up having to replace it.

It was still a great car. I racked up a lot of interstate miles in the 3 years I had it, and aside from the battery going out, it never left me stranded. The engine was rock solid, the 6-speed was a blast, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed a commuter car again. But every brand has its gremlins, and Honda and Toyota are no exceptions, especially this decade with a dozen automated safety systems being made standard across lineups.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
I didn't read every post, so forgive me if this was brought up earlier.

Putting aside CR's elitist bullshit reporting, I am sure Jeep has earned its perceived reliability issue solely because the Jeep is probably the most modified fleet of vehicles on the road.

When uncle Eddy installs his 6" lift and 42" tires on his two-door manual without upgrading axles, gearing, drive shafts, or his transmission, there might be some reliability issues. Add to that Eddy slammed down a six-pack of Shiner Bock while searching for his 13mm socket, and there will be reliability issues that the editor of CR and his White Claw drinking buddies will write about.

I would rather hang out with Eddy, his Shiner Bock, and his now-unreliable Jeep.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with CR ratings is not the characteristics you mentioned - it is the criteria on which they are evaluating the vehicle and their lack of understanding of why people buy wranglers in the first place. As soon as they start testing honda's, toytota's, etc. off road, than I will start listening to their opinions.
:like::like::like:

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

If that is your criteria then no car is reliable though? I can almost guarantee with 100% certainty every year make and model has had at least 1 go in for warranty work in the standard length.

unless of course you just mean your car personally.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
“Squeaky breaks”
“Trouble with 4wd systems”

Consumers shouldn’t be allowed to rate anything. People are stupid.
yeah I was wondering what about those was a reliability issue? Was it that the lever was too hard for them to pull into 4HI? lol But what the hell happened to Mercedes Benz??? Went all the way down to last place! wow!
Sponsored