Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Some people are just painful to watch and hear.
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I definitely agree, the odds of my wanting any of the mods done by someone else is pretty slim, and even mods that I did want I'd still worry that they cut corners or just downright installed it wrong. For those reasons I'd really only consider buying used if it was stock, and preferably a pavement princess. I'm fortunate to be in the position where I could buy a brand new Rubicon to build up myself, but if I weren't then I'd definitely not buy a used one that someone already put their "personal touch" on (unless it's just simple stuff that's easy to change, like the mismatched spare in your example)

I think that's why places like CarMax don't have modded Wranglers on their lots, they are harder to sell... They prefer no mods and if they do have mods, they give you less for it and send it to an auction.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought it was pretty dang funny :LOL:

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's why places like CarMax don't have modded Wranglers on their lots, they are harder to sell... They prefer no mods and if they do have mods, they give you less for it and send it to an auction.
Yep, I had a hard time selling my WK2 grand cherokee to dealers because of the lift, body armor, etc that I had installed on it. Many dealers flat out told me "it's worth less with these mods, we'd offer you more if you return it to stock." Which makes sense, really, I can't fault them. It can be a different story if you're selling to private party who happens to have the same tastes as you, but dealers want something that appeals to the widest audience.

(Fortunately, with Carvana being Carvana, they offered me the biggest price by a large margin and didn't give AF about the modifications... I don't know what we're going to do when Carvana inevitably goes out of business someday!)

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I had a hard time selling my WK2 grand cherokee to dealers because of the lift, body armor, etc that I had installed on it. Many dealers flat out told me "it's worth less with these mods, we'd offer you more if you return it to stock." Which makes sense, really, I can't fault them. It can be a different story if you're selling to private party who happens to have the same tastes as you, but dealers want something that appeals to the widest audience.

(Fortunately, with Carvana being Carvana, they offered me the biggest price by a large margin and didn't give AF about the modifications... I don't know what we're going to do when Carvana inevitably goes out of business someday!)
When I took my JLUR to the local Toyota dealer, I removed everything on it that I possibly could in one night, they gave me the same amount as they had quoted me when they saw it with everything on it... Since then, I've sold nearly $1,500 worth of stuff that I removed... They also offered me $2,500 more than any other dealer I talked too...
Sponsored