Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
500 miles, sure. But why didn’t they release any specs on the trailer full of batteries you have to tow behind you to get that kind of range?
My bet is this is only possible with the planned trim that comes with a small ICE to power the electric motors or charge the battery a little bit. Just my 2 cents based off their statements about fighting range anxiety with this exact method.
Sponsored

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
As others have said, it will be impractical, because of weight, to install enough battery capacity in the Recon to travel 500 miles. Off-road tires and aerodynamics will also work against range. If they get 350 miles EPA range out of the Recon I would be shocked. Tesla is FAR ahead of Stellantis and the luxury Model X is only rated at 360 miles. Throw in cold weather and wet conditions, 220 miles is a realistic highway range for just about any long range EV on the road today except for Lucid. I love the drivability of electric motors but battery technology is lagging. Perhaps in five years things will improve significantly.

Sponsored

Ron Texas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubicon
Maybe 500 miles with the next generation of battery technology, or all downhill.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Brace yourself, here come the EV haters
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Recon EV will be powered by New Electric Drive Module (EDM) "helping achieve platform range up to 500 miles" giphy (1)

Made it here as soon as I could guys!

You lost me at "EV"! :LOL:

I'm actually all for EV's, I just value my time over saving a buck. Especially now that many places are charging you to use their EV pumps!

My average Diesel fill-up lately has been around $50. Just saw a video the other day of a guy charging his HUMMER EV and it cost him $20 to gain an extra 60 miles of range, but it took 45 minutes to achieve that!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Recon EV will be powered by New Electric Drive Module (EDM) "helping achieve platform range up to 500 miles" forrest-gump-backwards

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
From a Jeep paradigm your expected mileage is 1/2 of the advertised. WHY?

As you stand there at some EV charger for a few hours and you GOTS to know every EV has its limitations or so DIrty Harry said. Because as you look at the magic meter showing you how many miles are left you should know that there is a point of no return, meaning you have gone over 1/2 of the way and you are not going to make it back to the charger...

So as you drive down the street to the nearest Charging station and you pass:

Race Track
Cicrcle Gas
Exxon
Texaco
7-11
Shell
Mobil
BP
Valero
HESS

These are on the first block, the second block has more.

Hard to run out of gas in America.

But WAIT, there is a solution to the EV. They are coming out with a to-order extension cord that is 1/2 of your max miles. When you reach the 1/2 mark the coiled extension cord automatically retracts and snaps you back to the EV Charging station you just left.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
From a Jeep paradigm your expected mileage is 1/2 of the advertised. WHY?

As you stand there at some EV charger for a few hours and you GOTS to know every EV has its limitations or so DIrty Harry said. Because as you look at the magic meter showing you how many miles are left you should know that there is a point of no return, meaning you have gone over 1/2 of the way and you are not going to make it back to the charger...

So as you drive down the street to the nearest Charging station and you pass:

Race Track
Cicrcle Gas
Exxon
Texaco
7-11
Shell
Mobil
BP
Valero
HESS

These are on the first block, the second block has more.

Hard to run out of gas in America.

But WAIT, there is a solution to the EV. They are coming out with a to-order extension cord that is 1/2 of your max miles. When you reach the 1/2 mark the coiled extension cord automatically retracts and snaps you back to the EV Charging station you just left.
How many of those gas stations also have fast charging stations? I see them at a lot of the big chain gas stations now.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
My bet is this is only possible with the planned trim that comes with a small ICE to power the electric motors or charge the battery a little bit. Just my 2 cents based off their statements about fighting range anxiety with this exact method.
Hopefully Borla makes an exhaust for it.

Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
How many of those gas stations also have fast charging stations? I see them at a lot of the big chain gas stations now.
I haven't seen a single fast charging station at a conventional gas station anywhere in AL.

Reactions: AFD

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase