Sponsored

Jeep rear sags much more than my Highlander when loaded.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I’ve loaded up my Highlander to the brim in the rear and completely filled a Yakima SkyBox 21 (largest Yakima box available) on the roof for weeklong vacations. The Toyota does not show any appreciable lowering of the body and no sag in the rear even though most of the weight is rear of the CG. My JLU Sahara on the other hand gets a slightly saggy rear even when loaded up for just a day trip with with a portable BBQ / camp kitchen kit for a beach excursion.

What would you do, if anything, for an easy butt lift that doesn’t end up overcompensating for when the cargo area is not loaded?

Makes me wonder if you overlanders typically deliberately select asymmetric springs and shocks to compensate the difference in front-rear weight distribution.
Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Yup, airlift inserts that go into your existing coils is just what you.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'm going adjustable coil overs, but it is very expensive and not for everyone. If I was staying with springs the Airlift airbags would definitely be an option for me.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That is why OME and JKS both have lifts for "heavy" loads to help the overland types.

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
We load up our Jeep pretty heavily for long offroad trips and have the same problem of rear end sag, so we recently ordered an Airlift system after reading the recommendation of @Roger C on this thread. Installed the compressor and ran wiring today. Airbags arrive Friday. I'll try to remember to give an update of how it works, and how I routed the wiring and air lines.

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
We load up our Jeep pretty heavily for long offroad trips and have the same problem of rear end sag, so we recently ordered an Airlift system after reading the recommendation of @Roger C on this thread. Installed the compressor and ran wiring today. Airbags arrive Friday. I'll try to remember to give an update of how it works, and how I routed the wiring and air lines.
getting the hoses onto the plastic 3-way hose barb was a pain. I bought a brass 3-way 3/16” hose barb for when eventually the plastic will fail. I found the hose slid onto the brass barbs on the air bags and the Schraeder valve much more easily than the plastic barbs.

Last edited: