Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Good. Dealing with China and their extreme requirements (just listed in that article alone) is like dealing with the devil. The Jeep has survived so many different ownerships over the decades.... Willys, Kaiser, AMC, Chrysler..... It won't be Stellantis forever. Especially if they go belly up.

If we're lucky, we may see a new, more American Wrangler in the future....

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
It's a good start but we've got many more companies that should follow. Keep workers here, and working.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Good move. The Communist goverment there has "Shanghaied" foreign companies long enough. They dictate how companies operate and demand a share of the profits. There is no protection of intellectual property. They steal designs and engineering from foreign companies and use them in the state owned companies. It's a part of their culture and nothing will stop it. China has never been an innovator, only an imitator, and a bad one at that. At least Stellantis was able to take advantage of their bankruptcy laws. As more companies move to get out of China, I imagine it will be more difficult to do so without loosing every bit of investment put there. If I had a company there, and was leaving. The last thing I would do is pay to have the factory and tooling demolished., or at least sabotage it.

It's been my opinion for many years that China will make it so difficult to do business there that many companies will abandon factories and machining there, which will then be nationalized by the ChiComs. Even if the US makes it difficult for ChiCom goods to be sold here, they will use our factories, machining, engineering and intellectual property to market goods to the rest of the world. This is a problem that needs to be worked on now, not in 10 years when the rope is around our necks. Yeah, it may take 10 years to implement, but no better time to start than the present.

There is so much more that could be discussed here, but it would soon verge deep into the political realm, as it's those very elected officials who facilitated this mess in the first place. Hell, the way things are these days, someone will probably report this post and it will disappear. But we can't discuss this topic properly with some sort of politics involved.

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
China is done with China. They are anti-import for anyone else. Their economy would not thrive is it wasn't for every other Country / economy being so dependent on Chinese products. We need to do business with other countries. But they are probably the cheapest to work with.

From what I've been reading. Their economy is tanking at the moment.

*in a non political statement*
That's just the way it is.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
https://www.thestreet.com/technology/jeep-quietly-leaves-huge-market?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

Jeep Quietly Leaves Huge Market
The emblematic brand of 4x4 has just filed for bankruptcy in one of the most important automobile markets.
It is an adventure that ends in total anonymity.
Jeep, the iconic all-terrain brand in the automotive industry, has just quietly left one of the most important automotive markets: China.
The Asian giant is the biggest automobile market in the world in competition with the United States. Automotive brands and manufacturers with global ambitions therefore cannot do without this market.
But growing tensions between Washington and Beijing have made the business climate even more difficult for Western companies in China. In the past, to enter the Chinese market, foreign car manufacturers were forced to join forces with a local group by creating a joint venture.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
The hoops outside companies have to jump thru to sell products in China may not make it worth it. I'm sure enough people like us will keep buying Jeeps to keep the factory running.

Sponsored

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This was actually one of the criticisms in the Stellantis deal - Neither entity was competitive in China.

Reactions: J0E

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Posted this in another thread:

The Joint Venture (JV) structure that Stellantis had with their Chinese partner is classic CCP strategy. 1) Force foreign companies wanting to do business in China to secure a domestic Chinese investor partner. 2) As condition of JV, require the Foriegn non-Chinese partner to share all of their proprietary trade secrets, designs and IP knowledge with Chinese based JV partner. 3) Chinese government then makes business for JV so challenging in China that non-Chinese partner has no choice but to abandon business. 4) Remaining Chinese partner retains all of the proprietary trade secrets, designs and IP knowledge and can go on and become "Successful" CCP-approved Chinese domestic business.

Be on the lookout for Chinese made "Joops" and the newly iconic 8 slot grills.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Business dealings of this magnitude always have trickle down ramifications after things are said and done, it’s nature of the beast. But to what extent to us going forward. I’m not a market pro but I’m old enough to see the writing on the wall.
Sponsored