First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Seeing that several members have bought Jeeps out of state, I figured some of you would know the answer. I recently picked up my JL last week in Maryland. I live in NY so I will be titling and registering it in NY. In order to register the Jeep, I need to show the DMV the title, which I don't have yet. I contacted the dealer and they told me to contact the bank that I financed the Jeep through. Of course, the bank tells me to contact the dealer about this. I'm not really in the mood to go back and forth to figure out what I need to do. This is my first time buying out of state so I'm not exactly sure how the whole process works.

For those who live in NY (or any other state) and purchased out of state, how did you go with registering your Jeep in NY?
Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I bought a new Ram 2500 in AZ, paid cash, and then got drug through the ringer titling and registering it where I lived in CA. Huge pain in the ass and more trouble than it was worth to save the $10k in the end... time is money.

Never again.

Last edited:

silversgrfx

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
If your financing your Jeep through a bank then you wouldn't receive a title till after the jeep loan is paid off. You would only be registering the vehicle in your name indicating their is a lien. Till the loan is paid, the bank more or less owns the jeep. Once you're loan is paid off the financing institution will send the title paper work so that the vehicle can be titled with you as the owner.

That's how it goes down here in the VA DMV. Not saying NY DMV has different ways of doing things. but as far as I know you just have to register the vehicle for now.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
That’s got to be frustrating. How long do you have to register it? My take is that if your bank says that they don’t have the necessary paperwork, then they really don’t have the paperwork. I guess I just trust banks more than
car dealerships. It’s a bias. Anyhow, it may be apples and oranges, but when I bought from a dealership in Missouri and titled my JL in Wisconsin, the dealership overnighted the necessary stuff to me which I then took to my bank. It took a few weeks and I drove around in an unregistered Jeep the whole time, but it all worked out fine. I’d contact the salesperson you dealt with and keep pestering that person until you get answers. Good luck

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
cns721,
I just went through this and it's not so bad after you figure it out. I am from MA and I purchased in MD. The whole trick is that you need to get a copy of the CO (certificate of origin) from the dealer. They come separate from the vehicle and need to be located by the dealer. Often times they come a little later than the vehicle for reasons I wont get into. Patience. In order to get the CO, which by the way looks like a title and is the precursor to a title, you need to be paid in full. In my case I paid 40% in cash and financed the remainder. Did you purchase at Criswell? PM me and I can get you straight.

Sponsored

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
cns721,
I just went through this and it's not so bad after you figure it out. I am from MA and I purchased in MD. The whole trick is that you need to get a copy of the CO (certificate of origin) from the dealer. They come separate from the vehicle and need to be located by the dealer. Often times they come a little later than the vehicle for reasons I wont get into. Patience. In order to get the CO, which by the way looks like a title and is the precursor to a title, you need to be paid in full. In my case I paid 40% in cash and financed the remainder. Did you purchase at Criswell? PM me and I can get you straight.
I should finish the process. The CO needs to be sent to your insurance agent as I had to in order to finalize the registration application. When that's done, I brought the CO, my registration application, and my piggy bank to the registry to pay sales tax, title fee, and for my plates. They take the CO and give you your registration and plates. The CO is then converted to a title and sent to the lien holder. You get the title back when you pay the debt off.

maksiu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I actually did this twice for my jk and jl. purchase in vegas (2nd home) register in chicago. The dealer in NV actually did everything by working with DMV here in chicago. They sent all required paperwork and I just showed up in Chicago DMV to pay local IL state tax (didn't pay NV state tax at time of purchase) and pick up license plates. We get screwed with property taxes in IL but vehicle registration is cheap compared to other states I noticed. Our registration is flat fee not based on value so its like $110 annually for plates in IL.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Seeing that several members have bought Jeeps out of state, I figured some of you would know the answer. I recently picked up my JL last week in Maryland. I live in NY so I will be titling and registering it in NY. In order to register the Jeep, I need to show the DMV the title, which I don't have yet. I contacted the dealer and they told me to contact the bank that I financed the Jeep through. Of course, the bank tells me to contact the dealer about this. I'm not really in the mood to go back and forth to figure out what I need to do. This is my first time buying out of state so I'm not exactly sure how the whole process works.

For those who live in NY (or any other state) and purchased out of state, how did you go with registering your Jeep in NY?
I story's almost identical to yours. I bought from Koons who used a, I think they're called "registration facilitator" to do the legwork to get me NY tags and registration.

Oh P.S. Chris another thought. Your window sticker is available on line if you need it for your insurance company. If you need to know how to access it say so. I can rethink how this is done, or someone else will chime in, knowing the answer off the top of their head.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

I bought in Arkansas and registered in Alabama. Took about 30 days to get all the necessary paperwork to register. It was sent from the DEALER to me. I financed 3rd party via Navy Federal.

OP
OP
cns721

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
If your financing your Jeep through a bank then you wouldn't receive a title till after the jeep loan is paid off. You would only be registering the vehicle in your name indicating their is a lien. Till the loan is paid, the bank more or less owns the jeep. Once you're loan is paid off the financing institution will send the title paper work so that the vehicle can be titled with you as the owner.

That's how it goes down here in the VA DMV. Not saying NY DMV has different ways of doing things. but as far as I know you just have to register the vehicle for now.
Actually NY isn't a title holding state. We do get the title but with the bank listed as a lien holder. I went to the DMV and they wouldn't let me register the Jeep until I had the title in my hand. I have until the end of January so I guess I'll just wait few weeks to see if the title arrives in the mail.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Take your loan docs showing that you paid the NY taxes in your county when you financed the vehicle. That’s all they care about, that and charging you for registering it.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Actually NY isn't a title holding state. We do get the title but with the bank listed as a lien holder. I went to the DMV and they wouldn't let me register the Jeep until I had the title in my hand. I have until the end of January so I guess I'll just wait few weeks to see if the title arrives in the mail.
Presuming all the parties have filled out the necessary paperwork, you've got to admit Chris @cns721 , that in our Big Apple state, there's some degree of irony that one part of DMV (registration at a local office) won't permit a transaction to happen, at customer frustration, because another part of DMV (title issuance) seems to be the holdup.;)

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I bought a new Ram 2500 in AZ, paid cash, and then got drug through the ringer titling and registering it where I lived in CA. Huge pain in the ass and more trouble than it was worth to save the $10k in the end... time is money.

Never again.
I bought my JL out of state with cash and it’s all really simple- you just have to get the certificate of origin from the dealer. They’ll fedex it as soon as your check clears, or if you paid with certified funds most dealers will send you home with the COO. In my case I had it about a week after I paid for the Jeep. In my state you want to be sure to get the odometer mileage certified by the selling dealership too.

With the COO and the odometer certification, you’re good to go.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I bought my JL out of state with cash and it’s all really simple- you just have to get the certificate of origin from the dealer. They’ll fedex it as soon as your check clears, or if you paid with certified funds most dealers will send you home with the COO. In my case I had it about a week after I paid for the Jeep. In my state you want to be sure to get the odometer mileage certified by the selling dealership too.

With the COO and the odometer certification, you’re good to go.
Yup, that’s all good and fine. What was an unappreciated and unforeseen pain in the ass was needing to weigh the truck and get it smog tested. I had to take my time and money to prove what the factory decals under the hood and in the door jam said about vehicle weight and emissions. On a brand new truck.

Flippin’ ridiculous, but that along with the long wait on paperwork and “proving” to the CA DMV that I had paid enough sales tax in AZ was enough for me.

Never again.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Yup, that’s all good and fine. What was an unappreciated and unforeseen pain in the ads was needing to weigh the truck and get it smog tested. A brand new truck. Flippin’ ridiculous, but that along with the long wait on paperwork and “proving” to the CA DMV that I had paid enough sales tax in AZ was enough for me.

Never again.
Hey, for $10k, I'll weigh your vehicle, get it smog tested, stand in some lines and make some phone calls. $10k is worth a $4.80/hr raise when worked on a 40 hr/ 52 week work year!
Sponsored