Jeep Production Plant Closes Due to Coronavirus

Swaggy P

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Thats crazy how fast yours was built and delivered. I ordered on 2/10 and its only now in JS status. I didnt even order anything crazy either. Just a fully loaded JLU Sport S with auto trans and V6.
That is strange... I got a JLU Willys, auto, V6, only mildly-equipped... I'm only 70 miles from the factory, but even from order-to-build, it was only 10 days.
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I'm going to have to sell my Jeep, going to list it today...
:crying:

This truly hurts to hear you say this. The world has blown the Covid19 out of proportion and while I understand the precautions as well as the reasons behind social distancing and social isolating, it doesn’t change the fact that, in doing so now, there are lots of people out there hurting due to life being disrupted as well as the uncertainty of when everyone’s life can resume back to normal.

You included Formattc.

I firmly believe that it’s times like this when everyone is forced to realize their mortality, can look beyond and put away their differences, realize that we are all flesh and blood and while we differ on many things and ideas, we are in this together across the entire world.

Our differences are not our weaknesses, but rather our strengths and our strengths lead to perseverance and resilience.

I firmly believe in the American people, our economy and everyone in America who works to play a role in our economy. We, the people, will bounce back and our economy will bounce back with a vengeance!!

And you @Formattc will bounce back and find yourself in a Wrangler again. Best wishes to you friend!

Apologies for being long winded there. :giggle:

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
OMG...imagine YOUR Jeep is the first one being built when they get back.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I'm going to have to sell my Jeep, going to list it today. My boss is a super nice guy and he called a meeting today in a public park, off of company property, so he could address us as a friend and not our boss. He didn't outright say that we're going to lose our jobs but he did say that he doesn't blame us for looking and that he'd provide a reference. I saved up for 27 months to buy the Jeep then blew 90% of my savings on it, and I could use that money a lot more than the new Jeep.
Damn. I’m so sorry to hear that. I hope things work out for you soon.

Ripcord

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
The other frustrating part of this to those of us in the car business is that "for the protection and safety of our workers, we are closing the plants which means they will no longer build any vehicles. But we fully expect the individual dealerships to continue selling cars to hit their numbers." You have the government literally telling everyone to stay home, social distance themselves, and keep travel/going out to only essential tasks. Yet here we are, still opening up shop every day telling the public "you're bored at home, come on down and hop in a vehicle with us, Total Stranger. We will take you around and hopefully sell you a car that you won't be able to pay for anyway because you aren't working!"

My employer gave me the option to self-quarantine with no pay, or continue coming to work every day and interacting with customers (even though 90% of my specific job responsibilities involves marketing, not customer interactions...I'm not in sales). The car dealerships would be open even if the world ended tomorrow. But to their defense, the manufacturers are still holding them to their numbers. Oh well...here's to taking serious preventative measures and doing the best I can to protect myself!

Sponsored

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
The plant has been shut down temporarily for the safety of the employees. We were told until April 2nd but nothing has been made official yet. I do apologize for any delays this may cause on the delivery of your new JL or JT.
Please keep us posted. 1st hand news helps..... Especially for those of us who know our jeeps are somewhere between the Production Order and/or the Production Line waiting. But truly, and more important, stay safe and well, we hopefully we will be turning the corner on this sooner than later. Then we all can again enjoy the Blue Skies and a little Hellayella.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Illinois is going to be a "shelter in place" state starting tomorrow. This really blows!
the biggest reason for this, sadly, is that the CDC, FDA, the Trump administration, and Trump himself utterly mismanaged this a month ago. It didn’t need to be this way. We could have followed the Korea model. Unfortunately, we had a President with a “perfect plan” of eating a Filet-of-fish sandwich while Rome burned. This is the result.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Illinois is going to be a "shelter in place" state starting tomorrow. This really blows!
I found out that Sacramento County was on a mandatory shelter in place order yesterday afternoon when my groomer called to cancel my dog's appointment. He sounded distressed to be forced to close. Then a few hours later the governor issued the same mandatory order for the entire state. It is surreal for sure, but needs to be done.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I'm sorry some of you are gonna have to list your jeeps, but count your other blessings. Seriously. Who knows? Maybe i'll have to sell mine. But when I look at my wife and daughter and my mom and dad, I just want them to be safe. Even if I have to drive a corolla for 3 years. People and relationships are what matter the most in life.

Sponsored

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
Thanks man, but I'm too old and beat up for physical labor, and my industry may not recover for a year or more after it's over.
Good Luck to you :bow:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I found out that Sacramento County was on a mandatory shelter in place order yesterday afternoon when my groomer called to cancel my dog's appointment. He sounded distressed to be forced to close. Then a few hours later the governor issued the same mandatory order for the entire state. It is surreal for sure, but needs to be done.
I have a cousin who is a nurse on the front line of this thing. She agrees with you. This must be done. I agree too.

Sadly, and this is really important for folks to know: Korea, about the size of a large US State, did not shut down. Rather, they got on this right away, took it seriously, and figured out a way to keep people employed and get the virus contained with minimal deaths.

Conversely, The Trump administration and Trump himself for 3 weeks bloviated and dallied and pretended it was going to “magically disappear” come April. Great plan. Now, the only choice left is to toss hardworking folks out of jobs and wreck the economy and our savings. The buck stops in one place and it ain’t the Governors —- they are simply trying to deal with the collateral damage of an inept federal administration.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...We could have followed the Korea model...
What was the Korea model? I am sincerely asking. For some reason, I could have swore one of the journalist publications that I read said Korea executed the person with the first confirmed case. :surprised:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
What was the Korea model? I am sincerely asking. For some reason, I could have swore one of the journalist publications that I read said Korea executed the person with the first confirmed case. :surprised:
Yes. That’s was their model..... they shot everyone who had it. Done. No more spreading.

seriously, we are talking South Korea here......, the model was simple..... they TESTED and CONTACT traced everyone in the Chain. They actually had a religious cult that was trying to get other religious groups infected so they would not get blamed for causing the infection (google it). The cult was literally going to other churches to purposely trying to infect others....... Korea had a HUGE potential issue.

but they managed it.

They did HUGE citizen outreach to get people to know where hotspots were.
They took workers Temps. They social distanced. Testing 66,000 a day at the peak (hint.... take a look at the US’s testing rate.... you will be shocked at how bad the CDC and FDA fucked this up).......

But, all the while,

they kept people on the job....

If a worker in a factory tested positive (or had a temp), they contact traced, sent close by workers home for self-isolation, disinfected the plant, and got it re-running in HOURS. They kept people on the job earning a living......and kept the economy working WHILE Bending the curve. They didn’t need to knee jerk and shut stuff down. They managed through it. Never exceeded their healthcare capacity..... they MANAGED the issue with smart, effective Federal Government. Shining star response.

contrast that with our Trump-mess.

Edit: one more item a quick look at the total cases Log Chart will show that unless the slope of the line starts to Bend fairly soon....... I.e. about a week, we will have roughly 1m confirmed cases of COVID-19 by the first week or so in April. Take a look at the log chart for yourself. Draw the slope of the line forward 2- 3 weeks....... the healthcare system will be swamped. And the economy will be shattered.

IF what we are doing now bends the curve, we will have succeeded in arresting the virus, for now. But we will have thrashed the economy. Either way, the economy is spanked.

Come July, when the curve bends up again, what then?

Last edited:

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
@Dkretden
Preach it, man, seriously. It pains me to see people downplaying this and acting like bravado or macho-ness is gonna make this thing go away or not be real.

This crud makes me mad. Our leaders should have had plans in place in January, if not sooner. This virus was first identified in China in November. Half a year ago.

And now I have to see my friends and family getting laid off (sister got furloughed today, my dad had to shut his office down, same with my wife) because we just...what, watched it for six months? Just thought it would never come here? Were gonna wave some guns at it and make it stay away?

And literally people in line at Trump rallies saying they didn't believe the virus was real. It was a hoax by democrats and the media.

I'll be the first to say don't get soaked into media hysteria, stick to local news if you can, but seriously...SERIOUSLY...that kind of mindset is what landed us where we are.

Land of the free, home of the brave. Well, we needed to be braver this time by making changes earlier and giving this thing the attention it needed before it took hold.
Sponsored