Sponsored

Jeep Production Plant Closes Due to Coronavirus

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
Absolutely stupid and unnecessary.
there are two ways to deal with this virus, one, everyone goes about their business, infection rate goes over 50 percent, probably close to 80 percent, immunity ensues, some percentage of folks that get the disease die, best guess 2 to 3 percent of those who get it. you can do the math yourself.

second, short circuit the disease (for now) shutdown just about everything like in italy. few work, few get paid, economy gets pole-axed. we could see depression levels of market crash. and thats what im expecting. government is gonna do all it can to help working folks, kinda like the way they did the banks back in 2008.

born in the early 50s, i have never seen an event like this. its a once in 100 year event. best comparison is wwII. but in that war, at least folks could get together deal with the shortages and work towards a common goal. this time everyone is gonna have to shelter in place in their home.

this clearly demonstrates the fragility of first world nations and their economies.
Sponsored

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is that there are not enough beds and respirators. So if X number of people get sick all at once they will mostly die without care. While it ruins daily life for an extended period of time, it gives hospitals time to prepare beds and build respirators and ventilators. An epidemic is not something healthcare has supplies for. They are even low on masks. The longer they postpone mass infection, the more they can prepare and more lives are saved.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I'm going to have to sell my Jeep, going to list it today. My boss is a super nice guy and he called a meeting today in a public park, off of company property, so he could address us as a friend and not our boss. He didn't outright say that we're going to lose our jobs but he did say that he doesn't blame us for looking and that he'd provide a reference. I saved up for 27 months to buy the Jeep then blew 90% of my savings on it, and I could use that money a lot more than the new Jeep.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I'm going to have to sell my Jeep, going to list it today. My boss is a super nice guy and he called a meeting today in a public park, off of company property, so he could address us as a friend and not our boss. He didn't outright say that we're going to lose our jobs but he did say that he doesn't blame us for looking and that he'd provide a reference. I saved up for 27 months to buy the Jeep then blew 90% of my savings on it, and I could use that money a lot more than the new Jeep.
I am sorry to hear this.

I don’t know what you do/pay rate/skills/etc. but, the good news is that there is still hiring going on in the economy. Solid employees were in such short supply before this that lots of companies are still begging for great talent. Some companies, like amazon and grocery stores, are hiring thousands of workers. Not sure if that is a good option for you or not but I did want to pass it on.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I am sorry to hear this.

I don’t know what you do/pay rate/skills/etc. but, the good news is that there is still hiring going on in the economy. Solid employees were in such short supply before this that lots of companies are still begging for great talent. Some companies, like amazon and grocery stores, are hiring thousands of workers. Not sure if that is a good option for you or not but I did want to pass it on.
Thanks man, but I'm too old and beat up for physical labor, and my industry may not recover for a year or more after it's over.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Very sorry you have to sell your JL so soon. You can't catch a break. I know you were on the fence prior to taking delivery due to new employment terms and now the virus. Hopefully this turns around sooner then later. Best of luck to you.

Swaggy P

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I ordered on 3/6...built on 3/16...and delivered on 3/18. It was nice to beat the shutdown, but I also have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Corona Edition...

Swaggy P

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I tend to think it would go the other way: You have people losing their jobs, worrying about money, AND putting their Jeeps up for sale, thus flooding the market? That's a
On a positive note, if this is extended a while maybe resale value will go up...
recipe for resale to tank, I think...

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I ordered on 3/6...built on 3/16...and delivered on 3/18. It was nice to beat the shutdown, but I also have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Corona Edition...
Thats crazy how fast yours was built and delivered. I ordered on 2/10 and its only now in JS status. I didnt even order anything crazy either. Just a fully loaded JLU Sport S with auto trans and V6.

Sponsored

Lgkaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I tend to think it would go the other way: You have people losing their jobs, worrying about money, AND putting their Jeeps up for sale, thus flooding the market? That's a

recipe for resale to tank, I think...
Flooding the market w/resale Jeeps?

I’d bet the opposite...folks are likely to keep their Jeep for post-apocalyptic survival madness when the gangs start wearing hockey pads and S&M outfits.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
That sucks, but only you know your financial situation. Food on the table is better than a Jeep in the garage. You can always get another one when things turn around.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual

Swaggy P

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I was going on the guy's assumption that I quoted, in which he stated that if people sold their Jeeps during this crisis, the resale values would go up... But in that scenario, with increased supply and decreased demand, resale would sure decrease, which was my stance.

Swaggy P

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Flooding the market w/resale Jeeps?

I’d bet the opposite...folks are likely to keep their Jeep for post-apocalyptic survival madness when the gangs start wearing hockey pads and S&M outfits.
I was going on the guy's assumption that I quoted, in which he stated that if people sold their Jeeps during this crisis, the resale values would go up... But in that scenario, with increased supply and decreased demand, resale would sure decrease, which was my stance.
Sponsored