Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

So, I wanted to start a non-political thread on Jeep politics. Topics where there are limited to no middle ground where both sides are firmly encamped. I'll start. I think it goes without saying "no politician politics", please.

Angry vs Happy Jeep

I'm totally in the camp of "Happy Jeep", I don't know how someone could take an iconic look like the JL Wrangler and stick angry bird eyebrows over it. I don't wave at Angry Jeeps, I teach my kids that the only Jeeps are happy Jeeps. If I ducked, I would refuse to duck an Angry Jeep no matter how awesome it was just because it is an Angry Jeep. :)
i wouldnt duck an angry jeep either. They can go duck themselves!

I guess everyone already forgot about the poor Moabs….. Rubi > Mobi

Willys XR > Rubicon is the current argument

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Plastic flares over painted.

(had a TJ Sahara get hit in a parking lot, wasn't going to paint the tub to blend a match, stayed cracked after that)

Bpieroway

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo xc70, civic hatchback touring
There’s a mullet Jeep in the area that has one of those grumper grills along with a bunch of other similar themed add-ons.

It’s… interesting…. Big lift, tires and wheels, plus other stuff that fits the look. They’ve obviously invested a lot of money into it and they probably love it.

I’ve seen it twice now and both times I found myself staring at it because from a distance it’s hard to figure out what it is.

When they get closer I feel obligated to wave because they can tell I am looking at them but I am crying inside for what they did to it. This isn’t it, but like it only in black.

866952E3-4A96-4CED-9CC2-0125A230ADAC.jpeg
Fugly.

mchastings

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
So, I wanted to start a non-political thread on Jeep politics. Topics where there are limited to no middle ground where both sides are firmly encamped. I'll start. I think it goes without saying "no politician politics", please.

Angry vs Happy Jeep

I'm totally in the camp of "Happy Jeep", I don't know how someone could take an iconic look like the JL Wrangler and stick angry bird eyebrows over it. I don't wave at Angry Jeeps, I teach my kids that the only Jeeps are happy Jeeps. If I ducked, I would refuse to duck an Angry Jeep no matter how awesome it was just because it is an Angry Jeep. :)
Not angry, menacing!! and why are we judging other jeepers mods! remember the YJ and rectangular headlights, cant see anyone doing worse than that...

Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Plastic flares over painted.

(had a TJ Sahara get hit in a parking lot, wasn't going to paint the tub to blend a match, stayed cracked after that)
Definitely plastic over painted, but that's because I just expect to beat them up on the trails.

What about stubby bumper vs. full width? (i'm a stubby, myself)

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

I can think of another:

3.6L vs. 2.0T

I'm a registered independent when it comes to this great debate among Jeepers. Since I have the 3.6 I can make the argument.

The 2.0T is too new and Jeep hasn't worked the bugs out of it like the "tried and true" Pentastar. The cam follower problems were fixed almost a decade ago and any camshaft issues are VERY few and far between. Lee Iaccoca himself posthumously came and blessed the Pentastar. Then the Coloradans explain the differences between the two engines at altitude. If you think the 3.6L sounds weak the 2.0L sounds like a Honda Civic. The Pentastar Upgrade (PUG) made an already amazing and reliable engine even better! If you get a 2.0T, hope you enjoy your Fiat. :)

3.0 Diesel all the way... I can out-pull, out-wheel, out-economy, out-anything any jeep, even the 392 (😝), with the diesel - all other items such as clearance being equal. That torque and that torque curve just can't be beat.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Top Off > Top On ...
This so much. Having experienced 98 and sunny, 65 and rainy (both in the same week mind you, thank you CO weather) and even 42degree pre-dawn freeway driving with the top off, top off is so much better than top on.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
50 and sunny this morning going to work topless (required a light vest! :)). Should be lower 90's on the topless way home!

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
Gas/Diesel Jeep vs. Electric Jeep.

I am firmly on the former's side. Jeeps should be grunting, rumbling at idle or when crawling, cruising - turbo or NA doesn't matter. I want to go doorless and topless and hear my 4,6,8 cylinders go through the motions.

If I wanted something that made no noise and go over hills, I can pay to get into the country golf club, jump into their cart and drive over grass "hills".

PS - Tried to keep it lighthearted :like:

Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Not angry, menacing!! and why are we judging other jeepers mods! remember the YJ and rectangular headlights, cant see anyone doing worse than that...
It's not menacing... trust me.

It gives off the impression that person is compensating for a personal deficiency.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
Oh boy, lemme see if I can catch up here...

Angry < actually looks like a Jeep (I just don't acknowledge them. If they don't want to look like a Jeep any more why should I?)

2dr > 4dr (no explanation needed)

All black wheels < Any finish but all black

3.6 > 2.0T (I wish there was a gas 6 with more torque in the lineup tho)

MT < AT (I can drive a stick, modern autos are just better these days)

Rubicon > all others

Fake bead locks < real bead locks

Half Doors > no doors > full doors > tube doors (at least full doors look good with a body colored hard top, tube doors always look like a cheap farm gate)

Skittles > 50 shades (I know I own a black one but I didn't order🤷🏼‍♂️)

Soft top =/= Hard top (I have both, leaning soft top full time because of my half doors)

Trail > Mall

Wave > Non Wave

Ducks > Non Ducks (I don't duck but I'm not upset by it either)

Re-gear > Can't get out of their own way

Body colored tops/flares > Cheap, generic looking blah

17" > 18"+

A proper amount of accessory lighting > enough lumens to turn night into day 3 miles in every direction.