Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Sure they did, this is a random survey where they have customers who have purchased that make fill out their survey and return it. it is random so statistically valid. Do not confuse this with something they are paid for by any company to promote their brand, like best experience at the dealership during the sale or some metrics they can fudge. They get this from new car registrations in all 50 states, save the Tesla which was only from 35 states. I have filled out a couple of these over the years and they find you from the registry, so has nothing to do with them being paid to promote a particular brand.

A problem can be anything the customer complains about. It doesnt mean anything failed or was actually a defect, could range from a blown transmission to, infotainment doesnt work or customer thinks it doesnt work even though it does, so it pays to have a good system like U-connect instead of a complicated on with a joystick, rotart dial and clunky interface LOL

With that said many people the last 20 year bloviate how Toyota, honda, etc lead in quality based on these surveys?
So now a Domestic wins and now the survey is garbage LOL

I will tell you a little story about the retards at CR. I was an engineer at a lightbulb factory, there were at the time 3 major companies, GE, Sylvania and Phillips. CR tested commodity 60W incandescent bulbs, ( I was a development engineer in fluorescent). what the dummies at CR didnt know was all 3 would source bulbs from each other to free up equipment.

I wont go into the exact details but we were makine 60W for one of the other two companies for 5 years, note there is an etch on the bulb which shows date and unit made. Bulb, components, equipment and folks making and specs/performance including light output, watts, life were the exact same. So in essence the dummies at CR should of rated two as a tie, since they were the exact same. But in typical fashion they didnt use std test ( IES Illuminating engineering Society tests and methods) to test the lamps. Photometry equipment was garbage! Their analysis and recommendation was totally wrong! We had a copy of their article in our life test area and used to show customers ( mainly distributors of lamps and electrical equipment) and they would be shocked thinking CR was the be all/end all.
Anyhow take anything CR rates and their testing as garbage!
CR hates the wrangler. They base some of their research on their opinion, hence contradicting themselves by saying it is a collective sample audience. Not many Wrangler owners hate their Jeep. But based on the reviews CR says its no good.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Another give away about CR back in the day, they would evaluate sister cars, basically back in the day there were many badge engineered cars, ie change the tail lights and grills for each make. So in essence same exact car, same drive trains, materials, made in same plant. So in their surveys, and own internal analysis, the ratings for sister models should be the exact same, but in most cases were not. So either their test methods are garbage and not repeatable and or the customers filling them out were biased, note CR's surveys are also non-random so right their they are not valid.

Of course now most intelligent people ignore CR and probably research on forums which is good and bad, but at least you can speak with people who actually own them and decide for yourself.

I have been lucky over the years, never had anything major happen to me per drive train. Of course good maintenance regimen goes a long way to having a reliable car. So to me ease of maintenance and simplicity is key.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
There is no way FCA beat Lexus. No way. I have a 2013 GX with 80k that hasn’t seen a repair expcept for the air injection pump which was covered under recall. Have had my JL for 3 months and been to the dealer 4 times for recall and weird quirks already. No way.
So your sample size of 1 of each can be extrapolated how? Also how does your experience with a 7 year old vehicle apply to the 2020 model year?

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So your sample size of 1 of each can be extrapolated how? Also how does your experience with a 7 year old vehicle apply to the 2020 model year?
Because other than bumpers and body lines the design, electronics, and power train is unchanged.

Sorry you’re getting mad. Maybe take a break from the thread.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Lol. K buddy.
Don’t worry. It’s coming from the same fella that thinks diesels were missing spark plugs....

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There is no way FCA beat Lexus. No way. I have a 2013 GX with 80k that hasn’t seen a repair expcept for the air injection pump which was covered under recall. Have had my JL for 3 months and been to the dealer 4 times for recall and weird quirks already. No way.
JD Power IQS (Initial Quality Study) measures the number of problems during the first 90 days of ownership. This is less a measure of reliability and dependability, and more a measure of assembly quality, fit-and-finish, and dealers doing vehicle pre-delivery inspections correctly, and explaining to customers how to use their new vehicles.

I have a hard time believing that FCA implemented such sweeping enhancements to its assembly lines, supplier base, delivery teams and dealer training programs to have these dramatic improvements on this study. Most likely JD Power mislabeled the brands on those charts.

I’ll reserve my opinion until next year. If FCA continues to show similar results, then I’ll start to believe these results are for real and not just a fluke.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
At the Toronto Auto show I had a look at the Land Rover Defender, some of the basic everyday paneling that would be touched were very flimsy and one was broken off, they taped it in place, I can't say I have ever seen this poor quality on any of my Wranglers
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Places in Top 11 of JD Powers Initial Quality Survey IMG_20200223_151302960
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Places in Top 11 of JD Powers Initial Quality Survey IMG_20200223_151401830

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
While I don't agree Jeep is more reliable than Lexus initially or over time I certainly find it amusing that this article would be taken as gospel if Jeep was ranked towards the bottom.

Mmaengine

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Top 11 aka participation trophy. Still love mine though!
Sponsored