DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I (mostly) agree . . . however, a "Cautionary Tale," When One looks at Parts/Manufacturing %-ages over recent Years/Generations (JK/JL) I (speaking only for myself) find the #'s Concerning. For Instance, after a few Local Dealership inventory searches . . . i.e.; 2015-20

17 JK's Parts breakdown varied from 71 to 73% USA/Canada // the new JL comes in at a mere 58% with ~ 16 TO 18% MEXICO . That's quit a drop off ! So I'm wondering how much further will the WRANGLER Brand "heritage" be Diluted with a "French Twist" Tickling up the works ? I'm sure there will be those who feel that, "As long as the Quality Remains 'Up to Jeep Standards' it shouldn't matter!". BUT, a Long Standing JEEP Advertising Rallying Cry has been IT's JEEP HERITAGE . What will Jim Morrison be saying at The 2021 Detroit Auto Show ? Thinking he will say, " Well it IS called the Detroit INTERNATIONAL Auto Show . . . after all, right?" :facepalm: :lipssealed: . . . :( / :) ? ;) !
That 58% number counts the 3.6 sourced in Mexico. If you have a 2.0, you would have significantly higher US parts content in your JL. Plus, look at all the supplier investment in and around Toledo. It was massive. To offset the parts sourced outside the US, the JL also is exported in larger numbers than the JK or any previous Wrangler or CJ.

Also, in 2019, the Jeep Cherokee is the top vehicle sold in the US in terms of US parts content. If that is important, then guess what car company's products hold 9 of the top 15 spots, including numbers 2, 3, 4. GM? No. Ford? No. It is Honda.

For us flag wavers who are Ford fans, only the F150 made the top 15, and it was way back in 13th place.

Fiat has done a great deal to honor Jeep's heritage, including late CEO Sergio reversing a decision to move production of the JL to Canada and keeping it in Toledo. He invested billions after that reversal.

I don't have a crystal ball, so who knows, they might screw it up, but I'm not expecting the sky to fall this time around. I'm just saying that all the same logic out there about PSA is the same that stoked my fears of Fiat when they took over. Fiat surprised me and produced the best Jeep yet, in my humble opinion. Btw, they are buying lots of Jeeps in Italy and they love them. I saw lots of Renegades and JK's when I was there a year and a half ago. Lots of them. I saw far more Jeep advertising there than Fiat, too.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
you didn't say anything about French women??
Lol! My favorite line in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" was, "...yes it is French to cheat. But it is American to get caught!" :CWL::LOL:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That 58% number counts the 3.6 sourced in Mexico. If you have a 2.0, you would have significantly higher US parts content in your JL.
The engine/transmission makes very little difference in the overall percentage.

Oddly, the JL 2.0’s that are imported have a higher content than US built 2.0

JK’s had an imported transmission and still had 75% US/Canada content

View attachment 245505

View attachment 245507

B6A5DF44-5270-4BC7-A427-04DD97493E9A.png

A05B0163-AF46-48B2-BF97-57858A110F2B.png

6E2986D4-B354-4A63-A9C8-59555DF9D727.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
The market was down today and FCAU was up over 2% . I like this . For me its all about company performance. Quality will always improve as time goes on. These companies are forced to put out a better product or they will fade away. The JL is the best Wrangler yet and the next iteration will be better. This merger will be good for both companies.
I’m glad you’re confident because I’m not confident in anything the French produce in the automotive space. There’s a reason none of their cars are sold in the US market.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The engine/transmission makes very little difference in the overall percentage.

Oddly, the JL 2.0’s that are imported have a higher content than US built 2.0

JK’s had an imported transmission and still had 75% US/Canada content

View attachment 245505

View attachment 245507

B6A5DF44-5270-4BC7-A427-04DD97493E9A.png

A05B0163-AF46-48B2-BF97-57858A110F2B.png

6E2986D4-B354-4A63-A9C8-59555DF9D727.png
I'm actually surprised that some of the 2.0's are sourced in Italy. They were originally all to come out of Michigan. Maybe the Dundee plant can't keep up.

And you've shown that we still see some units at 75% That's very high in today's US produced car market.

However it works out, FCA makes the single top US parts sourced vehicle sold in America in the Cherokee, so it makes the argument that FCA somehow isn't American enough to back up the heritage a kinda tough sell, for me anyway. Heck, I think Honda could make a strong argument for being the most American. So who gets to claim a stake on heritage if they do that? Certainly not Ford.

Heritage is a lot more than just US parts content, though.

Btw, out of curiosity, I'm going to go find my window sticker and see what percentage my JL hit. I know for sure the engine came from Saltillo. I expect the transmission came from Japan. (Manual.) I also know the axles came from Dana's new facility in the Toledo area, and the tires from Indiana. (BFG)

Funny, two countries that saw occupation Jeeps after WWII are sourcing major parts! If you can't beat them, build them!

Last edited:

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I’m glad you’re confident because I’m not confident in anything the French produce in the automotive space. There’s a reason none of their cars are sold in the US market.
That reason was pretty much due to regulations on the design of Citroens. Not just the USA, but Canada as well. Certain features became a no-no in North America

They were also kinda odd-looking, but in an attractive way. I guess you can say, they had nice personalities.

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
More cost cutting here we come. The Ceo of PSA loves cost cutting. Being a 2019 rubicon owner. Having less than 4k miles on my car, having 2 dead batteries within 4 weeks of each other. This is not welcoming news. Jeep & dodge needs to be spun off with more reliable company.

jconli1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Emergency Comms, Music
Vehicle Showcase
My personal hope is that Pugeot brings the beautiful 508 GT wagon to the us, but dips into their new part availability and stuffs an Alfa V6 into it instead of the 1.6 4 cyl. :)

Globalization is funny, and ultimately demonstrates that brand names really don't mean anything any more. Marchionne's goal for years was an FCA merger, and the PSA tie-up makes sense to me in that they're both a bit more independent in spirit than the likes of GM/Ford/VW... though there will definitely be some redundancies among competing vehicles in the same class/market but Jeep is certainly safe there. If this didn't work out the next (and last) likely candidate was Geely (current Chinese home of Volvo and Lotus), which I imagine would create a much stronger negative reaction on these shores.

Plus, it's not like it's the first time Jeep's felt some French influence.

1505071_253975411428431_267951573_n.jpg

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Yeah, these days, mostly the chicken tax and NA tends against small, city car automobiles.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Italian and French engineering.....

Two things that do not strike confidence.
The engineering should be fine. They engineer the heck out of some fantastic food. Automobiles are the same. Instead of cheese, spices, and sauces, use metal, rubber, and welds.

I'd eat the bacon Jeep.

uNHJZtfLnxCsWnWoHOGsSqqiRZrHx0Mw9q1FjvyopsA.jpg

Sponsored

JL-Jeepster

First Name
Yohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL , 2006 F250 Diesel

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Dream or nightmare ?
To me, that would be a nightmare. While I understand the extremely conservative nature of Toyota - the Hilux, Land Cruiser, and 4Runners make excellent, nearly indestructible trucks - they are also sadly behind in milage and based on having to drive a RAV4, tech. The UI for the infotainment system was a mess.

JL-Jeepster

First Name
Yohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL , 2006 F250 Diesel
To me, that would be a nightmare. While I understand the extremely conservative nature of Toyota - the Hilux, Land Cruiser, and 4Runners make excellent, nearly indestructible trucks - they are also sadly behind in milage and based on having to drive a RAV4, tech. The UI for the infotainment system was a mess.
Completely agree with you on that ! Obviously when you don’t change much your reliability stays high ... that’s their Achilles heel. The tundra still uses a power train from 2007 that’s just borderline stupidity to buy something that old today

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Folks need to breath, if it helps Jeep and keep the name around. It can't be all bad......

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I had a dream the other night, that Toyota bought Jeep.
Now that is real nightmare! let see huge turing radius uncomfortable seating no changes for about a bizzillion years. terrible ergonomics and a freaksih fan boy base> stop please stop.
Sponsored

Reactions: VNT