Sponsored

Jeep Parent Fiat Chrysler Agrees to Merger With Peugeot Owner PSA

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Fiat is used to dealing with massive quality issues so they are a better match in the depths of low quality hell.

The Fiat Wobbler JL is the crown jewel of this mess, and should have some priority. It’s just a matter of time before this new glob of poo is bought by a big Chinese company. At this point it’s an amazing after market and loyalist group keeping the JL what it is
I can attest that after 4 jeeps- this is the most reliable. It takes all of 10 seconds to find stories of leaks and issues on the old models. People called it character. Code - “we know it sucks, but we didn’t buy it to be flawless”.

Time will tell what the merger does. I don’t see a huge fall off. They know where the Jeep brand stands. Why mess with a good thing? Now, if sales drop and they plan on cutting corners to keep profit- that’s where I start to worry about buying another.
Sponsored

texasyj2009

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ 4.2L ; 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I had a dream the other night, that Toyota bought Jeep.
OH man...the fun of a Jeep with the quality/reliability of a Toyota would be nice. I've always been a Jeep fan but when they came out with the 2007-2018 Just Kidding Wranglers, I was about to get a 4runner TRD Pro instead. Luckily Jeep came out with the JL which I currently own and love.

JW-UK

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
D110, Foers Ibex
The early welding issues due to bad quality control is typical of Italian engineering.
Remember, the frame supplier is an American company.
I agree with Dan. The welding issues are manufacturing defects built in by the supplier and it was their quality control that failed to prevent defective frames from being shipped.

The product designer and development team, wherever they were based, would work on the presumption that the supplier was competent to make the frame.
Having said that, the quality control and management at the Jeep plant did permit the frames to be built into vehicles long after the problems were highlighted.

Regarding PSA, I think they're smart enough to realise the US market for trucks and SUVs is different to what they do. Just hope they don't introduce French electrical components and wiring standards, they are notoriously bad from PSA and Renault.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Reading the allpar article, it would be very interesting if Chrysler is dropped. Then again, I think all they have is the 300 and the Pacifica. It’s not exactly a booming marque.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. I test drove a Fiat X19 in my youth. Great little car and just before Fiat exited the US market due to poor quality. Our first new minivan was a 92 Chrysler that fell apart before the warranty expired and I swore off Chrysler. Combine the companies and I buy a Wrangler from FCA in 2019. Manufacturers tend to go through cycles. In the X19 days a majority of cars were crap. My wife had twin sisters who owned the same minivan from 3 years earlier and each put over 200k on theirs without issue. Only time will tell with the combining of these two companies.

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I love French wine.

I love French cheese.

I love French cuisine.

I love French films.

I love French culture.

I despise French cars. (Except the original Renault Alpine)

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've got a 99 Mercedes E430 that has had its share of quirky issues, too, including horrific tire wear due to its funky suspension. It can't dream of getting 30k out of a set of tires and outside of a Mercedes dealership, there is only one shop in Indianapolis that has the proper equipment and training to align it.
The Mercedes-inspired suspension in the Chrysler 300 was a pain in the ass to maintain for similar reasons, and it ate tires - for similar reasons. When you have a big heavy car and try to make it handle like a small car, it tends to eat bushings for breakfast. Apparently the Lexus LS is also known for doing that.

We had a 2006 and a 2013 300. The 2006 was a lot prettier, but the 2013 was made a lot better. \

I'd like to see this end up in a position where the brands are allowed to make whatever they excel at, and forget the rest. Jeep can focus on the Wrangler, Chrysler the 300 + van, Dodge the Charger + viper (please!) and then they can use the european brands to hock the countless unmemorable white crossovers.

Mikeg_JLU2020

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 6-Speed, 2015 Jeep Patriot, 1968 Chevy C-10 Fleetside
Occupation
Real Estate Agent/Project Manager
I am personally interested to see what comes about this merger. I have read many articles regarding PSA and FCA merger. I can say one thing, a lot of people are fixating on their past, however dont know what PSA is currently producing. I travel to Portugal to visit family every summer and I always rent a new PSA product while I am there, and I might say they are built better then I remember as a Kid, and the 6-speed transmission paired with the Turbo Diesel is truly a good engine and transmission choice. I will always pick my Wrangler JLU over it, but they are truly good cars from my experiences with them over the years.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
As an FCAU shareholder, I like this. FCA has a $29 billion mkt cap . This merger would create a huge company with an almost $50 billion mkt cap.
...with more brands than VW

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I love French wine.

I love French cheese.

I love French cuisine.

I love French films.

I love French culture.

I'm a big Alpine fan. It's too bad they won't sell the A110 here.

Sponsored

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
All I know about them (PSA) is the cars that Top Gear (the real ones before JC and crew left) use to drive. I thought they were pretty cool and wished we could get them here. Anybody look at small cars lately...yawn!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Reading the allpar article, it would be very interesting if Chrysler is dropped. Then again, I think all they have is the 300 and the Pacifica. It’s not exactly a booming marque.
I think it’s more likely that we’ll see some rebranded Peugeot’s coming over here as Chryslers. One major reason for the this merger is to expedite the reentry of Peugeot into the US market.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m still emotionally and financially recovering from the Peugeot transmissions in my 89 Comanche

Break, fix, repeat....
This being a Jeep forum, I’m surprised it took this long for someone to mention the Peugeot transmission that sucked so hard back in the day. That was my first thought when I read this. I was always grateful that my YJ had the Aisin transmission and am grateful my JL has one now.

I love French wine.

I love French cheese.

I love French cuisine.

I love French films.

I love French culture.

I love French women.

FTFY!

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I can attest that after 4 jeeps- this is the most reliable. It takes all of 10 seconds to find stories of leaks and issues on the old models. People called it character. Code - “we know it sucks, but we didn’t buy it to be flawless”.

Time will tell what the merger does. I don’t see a huge fall off. They know where the Jeep brand stands. Why mess with a good thing? Now, if sales drop and they plan on cutting corners to keep profit- that’s where I start to worry about buying another.
They cut corners on JL, steering is weak and under designed right out of factory and only offer a "Fix" of replacing steering stabilizer. Issues happen, leaving us with a bandaid is a choice (steering stabilizer is their fix for factory death shimmy/wobble), and one that along with others is why they are a bottom tier company.

They did alot of good things in the JL, dont get me wrong, but sadly the penny pinching and corner cutting has gotten them into toilet.

Absolute crap company.

Senator71

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
One thing is for sure, whoever owns the Jeep brand has actually realized that the Wrangler is both an icon and marquee product and has to be protected. The fact that it also can be a hugely profitable product is not going to be lost on whoever owns it.

Coming from the UK, I learned to drive on small Renaults and Peugeots and have particularly fond memories of the Peugeot 205 XS which was a stripped out 1.4 liter junior 205 GTi with a more teen-friendly insurance rating. That car was both reliable and fun, and not unlike a base Wrangler sport (of course for a different purpose). Here's a pic - steel wheels, manual windows, carbs instead of injection, but go-kart handling, light weight and fitness for purpose. If there's still this spirit alive at PSA there's a lot of hope.

11254628.jpg

Either way, the future for us Wrangler owners can only be better with a bigger parent who has the financial strength to make sure the Wrangler continues to develop and remains the mascot for the whole company and can absorb all of the changes that the industry will require over the next 20 years.
Sponsored

Last edited: