Jeep owners probably most prepared for Corona Virus

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
As someone on the front lines of airway management, the idea of not having adequate PPE for us when we are asked to emergently intubate a patient makes me very nervous. People who steal these things from hospitals should consider there may be some anesthesiologists who will be conflicted about performing intubations in potentially infected patients if adequate PPE is not available...
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
More evidence that praying is useless. It’s funny listening to people in charge of this country and the news telling people to pray.
Apparently you have never been in charge of people that die on your watch. I worked as a military contractor for 30 years. I have been in some of the worst countries in this world. I have been in prayer circles of almost every spoken language. I have been with men who pray to a God I don’t believe in. At any given point I have never belittled any human for there belief in a higher power then their self.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
I hope people really instill and teach their children how to stay clean moving forward so as adults they practice healthy sanitation skills to mitigate infection and spread.

I'm curious to see how post-pandemic studies will highlight this because in 2009 the H1N1 pandemic that by high estimates say infected 1.4 billion people (700mil on the low) and killed 500,000 (150,000 on the low) and was disproportionately fatalistic to healthy young adults and children by 80% and took a year to be declared ended by the WHO was found to be no worse than the seasonal flu.... and the level of alertness was high but nowhere near what we are experiencing today. Also would like to see studies on if those infected with influenza or corona virus has any effect on getting the other, similar to how getting the flu minimizes the risk of you getting a cold because your immune system is hyper stimulated...and what the studies show of this year in terms of respiratory viral deaths. Was there an increase with Covid-19 in the mix or did it end up being roughly the same annually? That will provide better insight on if this pandemic ends up being no worse than the seasonal flu.

The economic damage this will cause is going to be far greater, however...and I'd like to see the studies of how many deaths that ultimately caused. If any, if those results by chance show Covid-19 to have been no worse than the seasonal flu, will that negatively damage response efforts to future pandemics that could be worse (e.g. crying wolf). And what happens if it mutates and developed vaccines are ineffective or can't be created, does the hyper freak out cycle start over or does society accept it and largely doesn't bat an eye anymore? Just crazy how as a society we freak out, cry end of the world, and then when it's declared over we forget it happened aside the damage it caused to our retirement account, or it comes back people don't bother the second time around and continue doing what they were doing pre-infection. There needs to be a better system to consistently deal with pandemics. South Korea hasn't instituted the type of bans we are seeing all over the world yet doing the best out of us all and it has to do with their testing capability and quarantining of positive and possible cases to lessen the burden on their healthcare system. This all comes down to testing. The more information we have the better to make informed decisions.

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
I hope people really instill and teach their children how to stay clean moving forward so as adults they practice healthy sanitation skills to mitigate infection and spread.

I'm curious to see how post-pandemic studies will highlight this because in 2009 the H1N1 pandemic that by high estimates say infected 1.4 billion people (700mil on the low) and killed 500,000 (150,000 on the low) and was disproportionately fatalistic to healthy young adults and children by 80% and took a year to be declared ended by the WHO was found to be no worse than the seasonal flu.... and the level of alertness was high but nowhere near what we are experiencing today. Also would like to see studies on if those infected with influenza or corona virus has any effect on getting the other, similar to how getting the flu minimizes the risk of you getting a cold because your immune system is hyper stimulated...and what the studies show of this year in terms of respiratory viral deaths. Was there an increase with Covid-19 in the mix or did it end up being roughly the same annually? That will provide better insight on if this pandemic ends up being no worse than the seasonal flu.

The economic damage this will cause is going to be far greater, however...and I'd like to see the studies of how many deaths that ultimately caused. If any, if those results by chance show Covid-19 to have been no worse than the seasonal flu, will that negatively damage response efforts to future pandemics that could be worse (e.g. crying wolf). And what happens if it mutates and developed vaccines are ineffective or can't be created, does the hyper freak out cycle start over or does society accept it and largely doesn't bat an eye anymore? Just crazy how as a society we freak out, cry end of the world, and then when it's declared over we forget it happened aside the damage it caused to our retirement account, or it comes back people don't bother the second time around and continue doing what they were doing pre-infection. There needs to be a better system to consistently deal with pandemics. South Korea hasn't instituted the type of bans we are seeing all over the world yet doing the best out of us all and it has to do with their testing capability and quarantining of positive and possible cases to lessen the burden on their healthcare system. This all comes down to testing. The more information we have the better to make informed decisions.

The underlying problematic issue that you fail to address is the sheer volume of infected in a short time span vs the actual available hospital beds and respirators. Your numbers with h1n1 are exaggerated and that was a over a year long period.

The results from Coronavirus ,which you feel will be no more than the flu, really are not measurable. If we end up with say 509 deaths and 10000 infections in the USA. Do we assume that this was blown out of proportion? Or do we assume that we were successful in stopping it by shutting down the economy? How do you value a 401k account over a chance at saving a life? With a low infection How do you determine if we acted appropriately or it was overblown.?

I like this quote. “
In the end, it will be impossible to know if we overreacted or did too much, but it will be QUITE apparent if we under reacted or did too little.”

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The underlying problematic issue that you fail to address is the sheer volume of infected in a short time span vs the actual available hospital beds and respirators. Your numbers with h1n1 are exaggerated and that was a over a year long period.

The results from Coronavirus ,which you feel will be no more than the flu, really are not measurable. If we end up with say 509 deaths and 10000 infections in the USA. Do we assume that this was blown out of proportion? Or do we assume that we were successful in stopping it by shutting down the economy? How do you value a 401k account over a chance at saving a life? With a low infection How do you determine if we acted appropriately or it was overblown.?

I like this quote. “
In the end, it will be impossible to know if we overreacted or did too much, but it will be QUITE apparent if we under reacted or did too little.”
Actually I did address these in my posts on page 16 and how our reaction albeit extreme is necessary to "flatten the curve", the above is just more discussion questions we should all be thinking about. I encourage you to read those, I didn't include them in this once otherwise you all would be reading books by the time I was done. Also those numbers are official research estimates, I didn't just pull them out of thin air:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/pandemic-global-estimates.htm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3151238/

Flattening the curve does not change the area under the curve. Health officials agree that up to 70% of the world's population could end up infected, it's only a matter of time. Why? Because we don't have the testing in place currently to determine if our measures are working as you have asymptomatic individuals walking around being infectious for up to 3 weeks and no one knowing it. We are no longer in containment but management. As I stated earlier in previous posts, our reaction is extreme but necessary however our economies are not able to handle this type of disruption every single time and we need to be asking ourselves how can we make our responses more effective but least disruptive the next time this happens. And it will happen again. With how intermingled our society is, spreads like these will continue to occur and I hope the next virus isn't going to be worse.

EDIT: I will make this concession regarding my comment on area under the curve as seen above, which was made under my understanding and consultation and agreement with friends and former colleagues who have PhDs in biology and statistics, in light of Dr. Fauci's stating that the area will actually decrease and total cases drop (15 May interview with Fox News). I cannot obviously nit pick a health expert I am citing so I do stand corrected on that as there was context missing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Apparently you have never been in charge of people that die on your watch. I worked as a military contractor for 30 years. I have been in some of the worst countries in this world. I have been in prayer circles of almost every spoken language. I have been with men who pray to a God I don’t believe in. At any given point I have never belittled any human for there belief in a higher power then their self.
Good for you. Did the outcomes ever change? People are still fighting over a deity that has never been seen, unless you count water on plaster board or a piece of toast. It’s a truthful observation. The tooth fairy is equal to prayer. Provide me with evidence otherwise and I will reconsider my stance.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously Taiwan is much smaller than the US, but experience from SARS and good crisis management makes a big difference.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2020-03-10/lessons-learned-from-taiwans-response-to-coronavirus?context=amp
Great read and we need to learn from their models and do the same thing so the next time you have measured, informed and appropriate responses to breakouts. With any disease you will have spread, you will have deaths but you can also have a sensible over-reaction as opposed to a late-to-the-party hysterical one. Our government is being showed up in class, I hope they learn something from their more prepared classmates.

From the Director of the NAID and a great interview and shows you clearly level headedness versus fear mongering/fear-mining.

EDIT: I will make this concession regarding my comment on area under the curve in previous posts, which was made under my understanding and consultation and agreement with friends and former colleagues who have PhDs in biology and statistics, in light of Dr. Fauci's stating that the area will actually decrease and total cases drop (15 May interview with Fox News). I cannot obviously nit pick a health expert I am citing so I do stand corrected on that as there was context missing.

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I still kinda trust Fauci but just barely. So far he is the only person in the “government” who has said that the inability of the CDC and the FDA to rollout effective test kits has been a “failure” (his words). That said, I think that this blind, tone deaf, and utterly incompetent administration is muzzling his tendency to be truthful and direct in his language.

Every citizen in the US is soon gonna learn that the President PERSONALLY has eff’d this response up and every single government department has too. LOOK at what the Governors are saying about the federal response. Look at what the heads of hospitals are saying. The CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL is “ineffective and not helpful”....... Trump “takes not personal responsibility” ...... “it’s all Obama’s fault”...... the man has been in office for 3 years e]and everything is some one else’s fault. Truman, a real leader, had the “buck stop here.” Trump doesn’t lead. He just lies. Zero accountability for failures. And the failures may indeed cost lives.

every citizen, fresh out of his/her quarantine room will be able to decide for himself in November if this government deserves 4 more years. Tiny little countries around the globe can get this response right —- “contain it without effing up the economy” .... The Trump administration had its head up its ass for 3 weeks and, to catch up, the economy is gonna get spanked. “MAGA my ass.”

Last edited:

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Dkretden I completely agree with you there. Can't agree enough. Flip flop city. As far as Dr. Fauci goes, I think he shows great poise and clarity unlike Gottlieb's interview using trigger words and sensationalism that even caused the interviewer to look scared. Fear is great press, we all know that and even in scientific funding it pays research budgets to hype things up for yourself. I always ask myself what someone has to gain when they advice the public, is it really in our interest or theirs?

Same for why this administration and government fell flat on its face pants down. They didn't even try to push strong early countermeasures because that in their minds showed panic and not being in control which would dive markets. False bravado. If you look at the Dow during the 2009 pandemic right off the heals of the housing crisis, the market actually went up and ended up. Like you said, "contain it without effing up the economy" and we historically can do that. Not here in 2020, not today. Attitudes better change this year.

Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Side discussion: Does anyone legitimately think tires will be on sale because of this crisis? I need a new set soon, also wondering if I should go a bit wider but that means I need 5 instead of 4. Mopar has a sale - buy 3 get one for $1 but also no price matching but my dealer said they will price match it also. People staying in, less traffic and usage, rising inventory, etc...etc... yes I am looking to gain from this by trying to get cheaper tires.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
It’s crazy what this virus scare is doing to business’s. The wife and I went for breakfast at McDonalds this morning. This is what it looked like in there, Freakin ghost town. Mind you we live in NYC. The supermarkets are a different story.

071C9A38-3E41-41E3-B07A-DE387CF89E43.jpeg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It’s crazy what this virus scare is doing to business’s. The wife and I went for breakfast at McDonalds this morning. This is what it looked like in there, Freakin ghost town. Mind you we live in NYC. The supermarkets are a different story.

071C9A38-3E41-41E3-B07A-DE387CF89E43.jpeg
This is caused by Trump and his administration. Period. It didn’t have to be this way. Under Trump, we have had 3 years to get ready for this..and then 3 weeks to take action...... he didn’t. In fact, he said “all over in April... gone disappear....... beautiful plan.... no issues....”. He took zero responsibility and blamed it all on Obama. Zero leadership. And the economy is now tanking because he is a bloviating fool.

that empty store is a picture of lack of confidence by citizens in the government. Not Obama’s government, not Bush’s government, not Clinton’s government — not any other government but THIS Trump government, the very same government where the PRESIDENT does not take RESPONSIBILITY for the failures of HIS government. Can you imagine any leader blaming others for everything? Disgusting.

I’m a Republican in Texas. Fuck Trump. I am voting for a leader and not an ass wipe come November.

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Great read and we need to learn from their models and do the same thing so the next time you have measured, informed and appropriate responses to breakouts. With any disease you will have spread, you will have deaths but you can also have a sensible over-reaction as opposed to a late-to-the-party hysterical one. Our government is being showed up in class, I hope they learn something from their more prepared classmates.

From the Director of the NAID and a great interview and shows you clearly level headedness versus fear mongering/fear-mining.

EDIT: I will make this concession regarding my comment on area under the curve in previous posts, which was made under my understanding and consultation and agreement with friends and former colleagues who have PhDs in biology and statistics, in light of Dr. Fauci's stating that the area will actually decrease and total cases drop (15 May interview with Fox News). I cannot obviously nit pick a health expert I am citing so I do stand corrected on that as there was context missing.

i did watch the show and the information was well said by him. i did not like the lady that kept interrupting him.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
went to the store today, just to stock up on a few things. only to be prepared for what could be facing down the road. and the store was wiped out of a lot of items from just about every department. now the store is putting rationing notice on dairy products. everyone at this point is panicing, which i can see and understand. however, everyone is over reacting. dont get me wrong, people should be concerned.

one thing that is happening is shopping cart pirate. i know it sound dumb, but its happening and people are stealing items out of other people carts. i was going to stop one night at the store and see if i get lucky in picking up items like paper and dairy products while its being stock up for the next day.. i'm now rethinking that idea due to safety. i can see that someone will rob your grocery in the parking lot. i'm not in a bad area, but i could happen. so the next best thing is to go in when the store first open.

either way, i'm not going to panic or worry about the virus. i will continue with going to work and keep sanitizing thru out the day. because i cant work from home in delivering the mail.
Sponsored