Jeep owners probably most prepared for Corona Virus

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
That's not surprising. Mules are very territorial and protective of livestock. They will protect livestock from wolves and other predators. They are used a lot here in Florida.
Yep, just like llamas are:like:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Spain may be turning into the next Italy...... they are on a Log trend to have about 10,000 cases in a week or so.

Italy, it seems (and this may or may not be true — only one report of it) is now lowering their “triage” age to 60...... 60 and over with a severe case that requires treatment to live? You are not going to get treated — resources are being redirected to younger folks in need. Oh, and if you are obese, diabetic, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, immune compromised, smoker, etc you may also not get treated regardless of age.......... it seems that Italy is getting to the point where they are needing to direct medical resources only to those with the best chance of survival. The rest will drown in their own fluids.

In the US, if Log chart continues to plot the same slope (we don’t bend the curve), we will have 10,000 cases in a week and possibly 100,000 cases a couple of weeks thereafter. 100,000 cases — about 15,000 will probably be severe — if it happens (and, hopefully, it won’t) will certainly start to put a strain on the healthcare system. if by the middle of April we have not bent the curve, it will be very difficult times ahead for people of all ages.....

Separately, why, really, was the NY National Guard sent to New Rochelle? IMO..... they needed deployed/mobilized national guard close to NYC so they could get into the city immediately....... now this.....

• Coronavirus outbreak “could easily be a a 6 month crisis.” said New York Mayor Bill de Blasio as he declared a state of emergency in the city on Thursday, adding that New Yorkers should expect “major changes” from day-to-day because there’s a pattern of “extraordinary new information on what now feels like an hourly basis” With at least 328 total cases in New York, of which more than 100 added today, the number of cases in the city is projected to rise to 1,000 by next week, de Blasio said [source]

1,000 cases by next week means 10,000 cases in a couple of weeks (unless we bend the curve).....

Last edited:

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
went food shopping today, for a couple of things and the store was a mob house. everyone thinks the world is coming to an end.

unfortunately for me, i deliver mail and there's a couple of cases of the virus in the town surrounding where i deliver. i'm not worried, but will take every precautionary action in keeping clean and sanitize as much as possible.

we all need to ship in and do our part. the peak is coming and the numbers will drop. until then, keep safe everyone.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
It seems most are basing their numbers and risk around information from China. China lies. We should be looking at a first world country.

Italy just released updated numbers: 15,116 cases
1,016 deaths
Death rate: 6.72%
Flu death rate: 0.1%

The people that aren't taking this seriously will be sorry when there is no food and they failed to prepare.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It seems most are basing their numbers and risk around information from China. China lies. We should be looking at a first world country.

Italy just released updated numbers: 15,116 cases
1,016 deaths
Death rate: 6.72%
Flu death rate: 0.1%

The people that aren't taking this seriously will be sorry when there is no food and they failed to prepare.
I generally agree with your position on China. But, a couple of things to consider:

1) Italy has the second oldest population in the (world?) behind only japan. Older population = higher death count.
2) I also understand that Italy has high levels of comorbidity diseases. This will also drive up the death rate
3) Italy FAILED TO ACT quick enough to get in front of the virus. The cases spiked and overwhelmed the medical system. They are now triaging people —- I.e. letting some die untreated so other (younger/healthier) patients can get treatment. Depending on how it’s managed, triage May also drive up the death count

the WHO says “3.4%” is the expected death number globally. That might be right. I am hopeful that it is far too high an estimate for the US but the Trump administration really flubbed the response for the last two weeksand we may be tracking more like Italy than Korea as a result. time will tell,

best we can do is wash hands and social distance.... that will REALLY help put this back in a box....

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
If this study turns out to be good science, it would explain a lot about COVID-19’s R0 of 2.2......... (I.e. how highly contagious it is):

“Virus can remain viable "in aerosols up to 3 hours, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel" a Princeton study awaiting peer review has found [source]”

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
If anyone would like to see a well-written and sourced piece on the US Hospital system and its ability to cope in an “expected case” and “worse case” scenario, here is a good article. The WSJ is probably the last company anyone would ever call “media hype.”

https://apple.news/A7V7rJ8hsQE-g1vb5ThBFFw

It lays out a thoughtful but alarming current situation regarding shortages of beds, equipment, and staff.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If anyone would like to see a well-written and sourced piece on the US Hospital system and its ability to cope in an “expected case” and “worse case” scenario, here is a good article. The WSJ is probably the last company anyone would ever call “media hype.”

https://apple.news/A7V7rJ8hsQE-g1vb5ThBFFw

It lays out a thoughtful but alarming current situation regarding shortages of beds, equipment, and staff.
WSJ requires a subscription...

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
This is probably going to be my only post on this subject because of the frustration of it.

It pisses me off to read all of the BS about this virus. I'm a healthcare professional who is on the front-lines of this crap all frickin' day long. It's exhausting!!! I receive official updates twice a day from the CDC, NIH and the State of Texas Department of Health Services. The media has well OVER-HYPED all of it and instilled panic for nearly everyone. Where was the panic and hysteria with the swine flu (H1N1)...or SARS...or MERS??? Worldwide, about 600K people died from H1N1. All of those viruses are a derivative or some facsimile of a corona virus...along with the common cold and the other various types of the flu that are already out there. Granted, this is a new virus and yes, it needs to be taken seriously...BUT...it is just another form of the flu. FOLLOW STANDARD PRECAUTIONS!!! Man has no cure for any known virus...only treatments and vaccines. Treatments for this virus IS THE SAME AS THE FLU PER THE CDC...over the counter medications along with hydration and rest. And, per WHO (World Health Organization), approximately 80% of those who become infected with COVID-19 will only experience mild symptoms. What fatalities that have already occurred are of persons with a depressed immune system and/or underlying CHRONIC health conditions or generally greater than 80 years of age. This is generally the same MO as a regular flu outbreak.

This year, the flu will infect up to 45 million people worldwide and as many as 60,000 are expected to die. About 6.5 million of those are in the USA along with around 3,000 deaths so far. It is also a corona virus...with no cure...only treatments and/or a vaccine. There certainly doesn't appear to be much of a concern in the news with all of those infections and deaths, huh. This year's flu vaccine covered 3 strains of type A & B flu...H1N1, H2N3 and a B/Victoria strain. Look...COVID-19 is going to be here to stay and it is most likely going to be a seasonal virus just like the flu. My recommendations (not that everyone wants my .02 cents) for everyone is the same as the CDC's and is what we tell everyone we see...wash your hands...cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze...as hard as it may be, try not to touch your face...and stay at home if you're frickin' sick. Medicate with OTC meds you can get at a local drugstore.

Otherwise -- everyone needs to just frickin' smoke a doobie, relax and don't panic. Panicking causes things to become out of control...like they are now. It serves no one any good. But, in time, this will run its course.

73s...I'm out! :bandit:
Sponsored