DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
You’re right, 2.3% according to the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy center.
Yep. That is a significantly higher death rate than the flu. 2.5% doesn't sound bad, but if (maybe when) the number of cases of Coronavirus reaches the same level as flu cases, we'll all see what that really means, up close, and it will be VERY bad.

One thing we're assuming with that death rate is that the numbers being reported are accurate. Anyone who believes the Chinese government is beyond naive. Heck, most governments, our own included, have been less than trustworthy. I will say, however, the CDC has a good rep when it comes to this stuff, thanks to the medical community. We'll know the real death rate very quickly when it comes here in numbers.

The US is the best equipped to handle a pandemic, but this one may tax our ability to contain it. The Feds are already warning us to get ready for a bumpy ride. They issued a warning that it could disrupt everyday lives. That's ominous. I can't remember a prior warning like that, and I've been around half a century.

Not trying to be chicken little here, but the warning signs are there that this thing is the real deal. It is checking the boxes of the big feared hypothetical pandemic, one after another. We may have been lulled into a false sense of security after the swine flu panic that didnt' turn out to be as bad as feared.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Yup, not to worried here. As a past prison employee, I feel sorry for the ones that work in prisons, because the prisons are always understaffed and things like this will end up in the prisons, and it will ravage the staff and tax their ability to come to work. Many will just push through and there will be many that just come to work sick. It will suck. Prison is not like other places.

I have to wonder what the prison adm is doing to get ready for this? When I retired, I had many officers that were working 7 days a week with 5 double shift a week. That means they were filling the spot of over two employees. I had six officers that worked for me that had not taken a day off in seven months.

I will watch this transpire and I think, I will get it as my wife is still a prison employee and she will probably bring it home to me. Fuck, she has about 1 1/2 years to go for retirement.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Also we were planning a trip to Japan in August to see our son. Then last night I read that Japan is thinking about cancelling the Olympics if they don't have a better handle on the corona virus by May. I am very hesitant to slap down over two grand in airfare right now. Japan is at a Level 2 from CDC for travel right now.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just read that China has entire cities where NOBODY is going to work, every day. That is cataclysmic for their economy. Even if the virus doesn't reach us, fallout from this will. Remember, to Chinese standards, Chicago isn't a big city.

Does anyone out there still believe the Chinese communist government? If so, check in. To a mental hospital. (If there are even any of those still in existence.)

There are top infectious disease experts in the US who think it is possible that like with the flu, warm weather will curtail the spread and roll it back. The only problem is that like the flu, it would come back next winter.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not a believer in the hype either. They’ve gotta sell newspapers. I’m a plumber and work for a large Medical chain. I remember about 4 or 5 years ago the Ebola virus was the big scare. We actually renovated and prepared an entire ward of a hospital for the upcoming epidemic. The ward sat empty for a year and they started putting regular patients in there.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Let’s see, Mad cow, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, Ebola Virus, Corona Virus, Budweiser Virus blah blah blah. Guys are living in the woods securing the perimeter from the Walking Dead. We need Rick, Daryl and Carroll. Don’t go near Neegan’s camp though!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I have been to China. Beijing China was explained to me as being 100 square miles with over 21,000,000 people living there. That is like the population of Michigan x 2.5. Then pushing them all into the south east corner of the state. Beijing has more people in it than many Midwestern and Great Plain states put together.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This might be the end of "Globalism " , that rush to profits by having everything made elsewhere, by cheap labor, then shipped " just in time " to sell in American markets.
Thank you , Wal-Mart, and Hedge Funds yammering for shareholder profits over the long term sustainability. On medications ? 80% overseas supply lines. Car parts ? Ditto. The list is endless, and the ramifications have yet to be felt. The realization that domestically produced goods are better for profit, and the economy, in the long run, might gain some traction.
Even if this epidemic doesn't make Pandemic, the warning is clear ; the more links in a chain, the more failure points, with a cascade effect that I hope we don't see.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Interestingly, I have read several articles today. If one looks at the numbers coming from China (assuming that they are real, a stretch, true) it clearly shows that the death rate at the epicenter - Wuhan - was high. Outside of Wuhan in other parts of China, the death rate is about 0.7%. According to what I read, this tracks other pandemics..... the first populations hit have high death rates as nobody is looking for the disease and have no protocol for treating it once they become aware of it.

that said, a death rate of 0.7% is 7 times higher than seasonal flu. it has yet to be seen of this virus will also ebb and flow with the changing of the seasons like seasonal flu. Some Scientists who are raising the alarm suggest that 60-70% of the global population say contract this virus. If the death rate holds at 0.7%, what?, 40m people will die......

Americans, as a population, are slightly older and definitely sicker (diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, etc —- the underlying diseases that seem to be predictive of more severe cases) than many other global populations but impacts may be mitigated by the overall health care system in the US.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have been to China. Beijing China was explained to me as being 100 square miles with over 21,000,000 people living there. That is like the population of Michigan x 2.5. Then pushing them all into the south east corner of the state. Beijing has more people in it than many Midwestern and Great Plain states put together.
I was in China a few years back..... we went to a number of places including a “small city in the country”. it was described to me by my Chinese hosts as being very small, very much “in the country”...... this city - Zibo - has 4m people and Is something like ONLY the 50th largest city in China.

the population density in eastern China is amazing and takes a bit to wrap your brain around it......

Last edited:

Sponsored

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Don't remember exactly where I read the following quip, but I hope it works out to be true...

'I didn't survive my teenage years shotgunning pints of Jim Beam to get taken out by a virus named after a light beer.'

I hope it turns out to be a laughing matter as much as possible.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
A vaccine, if one becomes available, is 12-18 months away.

Since you will need to stay in the woods, without resupply, for this plan to be effective good luck jamming enough food, water, gas, and other needs into your Jeep for your 18 months of isolation.
Better have some sick Daniel Boone like skills.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have heard differently. It’s a hard number to nail down given infection time lags, etc. but, I am increasingly reading that the death rate is something like 1%-ish. (The flu is typically about 0.1%-ish)

I think the numbers break out like this:
If a pandemic, some doctors are saying up to 60% of the global population might get it. Then
About 15% of those cases will be severe (with about 5% of the total being “critical”) then
About 1% (of the total infected) will die.

if this is true, that is a boatload of people globally who will die..... maybe 40m-ish?

the breakdown of those who have already died skew greatly to the old (over 80), cardiovascular disease, already sick or immuno compromised, diabetics, hypertension, pre-existing respiratory issues, and possibly smokers. Men die at a slightly higher rate than women. Others can die from the virus too but they do seem less at risk.

so, while you can die from this, if you are 40, male, fit and without any of the issues above, you are likely NOT gonna die from this, even if you get it.....

that said, if anyone wants to pack their Jeep and head to the woods,plan on a 2 year trip........... better have at least a JLU for that..... need the extra storage space....
Death rates probably depends on country and access to medical care? There is no other country in the World that I would rather be in then the US for medical care. Developed countries have medical systems that can probably cope with it. Under developed and Third world countries, countries without enough resources and established medical systems will suffer. I think these Countries will suffer higher death rates simple diue to the lack of medical care. Countries where the population lives in very close quarters will be at particularly high risk.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer