Results are only viewable after voting.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
The best part about these threads is you always get a couple of self important jackasses trying to insert their penises into everything. Yes, you are both right, and smart, and your opinions are valuable. Now stfu and get back to the thread you've hijacked.
Sponsored

snakesnakington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
MIT grads are always getting scooped up for aronotics you serious?!

Im not into the surgical instrumentation like MRIs, xrays, etc and such

More like hand tools if you may. like bipolar forceps, ophthalmic instruments etc etc.

Read my priors...I'm fortunate enough in business that I travel the world going to shows and meeting all kinds of people.

Especially surgeons and eye doctors who need custom instruments made for special procedures...so on and so forth.

You see, I'm being honest with you.

Your just an idiot
You know that Harvard and MIT have a bunch of different schools in them, right? One of which is a medical school.

I'm psyched you get to travel! Traveling gives you an understanding of the world that you can't get if you haven't traveled.

It's the same way with college! If you never went, it's pretty silly to complain about how they are "today." It's pretty silly to complain about them at all—you wouldn't have gone either way! I've never made a surgical hand tool, but I bet if you saw me saying that everyone who makes surgical hand tools was the kind of guy who was more likely to have an understanding of the world around him that left him barely able to function or communicate, that'd piss you off.

And If I'm dumb it's only because I bought a Jeep. But I really like it, even though it's a Sport S.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
The best part about these threads is you always get a couple of self important jackasses trying to insert their penises into everything. Yes, you are both right, and smart, and your opinions are valuable. Now stfu and get back to the thread you've hijacked.
Lol

You and I will get along just fine, sounds like you have a tough set on you

**backing away with my hands up**

Last edited:

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
You know that Harvard and MIT have a bunch of different schools in them, right? One of which is a medical school.

I'm psyched you get to travel! Traveling gives you an understanding of the world that you can't get if you haven't traveled.

It's the same way with college! If you never went, it's pretty silly to complain about how they are "today." It's pretty silly to complain about them at all—you wouldn't have gone either way! I've never made a surgical hand tool, but I bet if you saw me saying that everyone who makes surgical hand tools was the kind of guy who was more likely to have an understanding of the world around him that left him barely able to function or communicate, that'd piss you off.

And If I'm dumb it's only because I bought a Jeep. But I really like it, even though it's a Sport S.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology I was speaking of

**internet hand shake**....we cool

Sorry, my "Boston" comes out sometimes

Its uncontrollable

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I know and come across many people in the surgical instrument manufacturing business.

I bump into people all over the world actually.

College kids are always applying for a job and 95% of them have degrees but nothing to offer.

I'd rather higher someone with real life hands on experience that needs some training over someone with just a college degree any day!

Yes, my statements may sound bold but they are the truth.

College has become more of a business than education it's a shame. Especially with all their snowflake safe space policies.
I don't know... 92% of statistics are made up

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
True.

Lies,damnedlies,stats.jpg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Great point. When I was in college I would take my designs to my dad to review. He was a grade school dropout who became a tool and die man after WWII. Every single idea that I bounced off of him he had some great insight as to how to make it better.

There was a placard on B-25's that required a five minute cool down before feathering an engine. He figured out that the feathering motor needed to cool between use when they were training in the airplane. After he passed away I took everything I worked on to the mechanics to see if it would pass my dad's dumbass test.

College is important if what you want to do requires a college education. My dad wanted to work with metal and I wanted to be an aerospace engineer. Adjusted for inflation I've never made more than half of what he did when he retired (he started his own tool and die shop). But the important issue is that we were both happy with what we did and we became good at it. My wife, kids, and I all have graduate degrees. All necessary to get where we wanted to be. But we've all learned as much on the floor getting our tail pipes handed to us as we did in college.
My father and his father worked the Sante Fe railroad. He had his high school degree. When WW2 started, my father joined up with the Army Air Corps which eventually became the USAF from which he retired in 1968 to work another 10 years as a mechanic at an airline. He was good mechanic and taught my older brother and I well. I had a few airplanes in my 20s and 30s, one of which was a highly modified aerobatic plane. My father helped with modifications and maintenance until his passing 35 years ago. I remember him as a humble man. He encouraged me to go to college, but didn't force it. All 4 of us kids went to college, the three of us boys took engineering, the youngest is with NASA Langley, me with Boeing, and my older brother is a cop (what happened there? LOL). My sis graduated with some kind of social science degree which never seemed to benefit her. The youngest of us is the smartest, I got the smart-ass, older brother has a good head, sis got the bleeding heart and raised 3 lib girls.

I've seen a lot of what Northeastbst has brought up about some people with degrees not being too bright, but all engineering degreed people I have met were smart, even if some were inexperienced. I think there are a lot of kids that go from HS to college without any idea of what they want to do as a career and either take a easy course of study or pick something they think they might be able to use later in life. I started college that way. Dropped out because of it. Didn't go back to college until much later when I knew what I wanted. Somewhere in there I managed to take courses in 4 colleges. College isn't a guarantee a smart person will emerge from the process. But it provides great opportunities for those that are bright and know their path in life.

I recall trembling in my shoes, making a presentation to a large contingent of the NTSB and FAA in WDC regarding an airplane accident and thinking about how my involvement in machines started with bicycles and a methanol burning mini-bike, wondering how I got to where I stood that day. College didn't put me there, but it facilitated it.

Last edited:

Kevin’s Rubi

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired flight test engineer
College didn't put me there, but it facilitated it.
Exactly! A good friend of mine and I started college at the same time. I had to have a degree because I wanted to be part of the space flight program. They simply didn't hire anyone without a science degree. By back-up plan was airline pilot which was highly competitive at the time and also required a college degree. After a couple of semesters my friend quit and went to fly float planes in the islands. Long story short; we both got exactly what we wanted. I got to fly some pretty damn cool airplanes and helped make flying just a little bit more safe (in my egotistical opinion) while he got to see the world and now owns an air charter service which takes hunters and supplies to remote locations. We both have about the same income.

College was a means to an end in our day and still is in some occupations. But now it seems to be a litmus test to see if someone can put up with four years of deadlines and new material before entering the workforce. This is one reason I strongly support veteran hiring programs. Not only because it's the right thing to do. But we have proven that we can meet goals in structured environments while complying with complicated regulations even when in harms way. But you can also say that about a roughneck regardless of education or past service.

But to the original point of the thread. It's exactly the same thing. Sure, the JL is expensive. But what does it mean to you? Some folks on here picked up additional shifts to pay for it while some just pulled the money out of their front pocket. Some folks decompress by getting out on the trail or in the mud and some just always wanted a Jeep because the cool kid had one back in the day (guilty here). It's not household income or how you got to that point. It's about what your Jeep means to you. I walk into the garage and see 40 years of hard work in Firecracker Red. And I always smile when I see it.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Exactly! A good friend of mine and I started college at the same time. I had to have a degree because I wanted to be part of the space flight program. They simply didn't hire anyone without a science degree. By back-up plan was airline pilot which was highly competitive at the time and also required a college degree. After a couple of semesters my friend quit and went to fly float planes in the islands. Long story short; we both got exactly what we wanted. I got to fly some pretty damn cool airplanes and helped make flying just a little bit more safe (in my egotistical opinion) while he got to see the world and now owns an air charter service which takes hunters and supplies to remote locations. We both have about the same income.

College was a means to an end in our day and still is in some occupations. But now it seems to be a litmus test to see if someone can put up with four years of deadlines and new material before entering the workforce. This is one reason I strongly support veteran hiring programs. Not only because it's the right thing to do. But we have proven that we can meet goals in structured environments while complying with complicated regulations even when in harms way. But you can also say that about a roughneck regardless of education or past service.

But to the original point of the thread. It's exactly the same thing. Sure, the JL is expensive. But what does it mean to you? Some folks on here picked up additional shifts to pay for it while some just pulled the money out of their front pocket. Some folks decompress by getting out on the trail or in the mud and some just always wanted a Jeep because the cool kid had one back in the day (guilty here). It's not household income or how you got to that point. It's about what your Jeep means to you. I walk into the garage and see 40 years of hard work in Firecracker Red. And I always smile when I see it.
Well stated . . . :clap:

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

lol

upload_2019-4-2_10-19-35.jpeg

Sponsored

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
A Wrangler owner’s median annual household income is $141,477. A SUV average median household income is $92,841.

Keep in mind these figures are for median annual households not individual.
Sponsored