Results are only viewable after voting.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I am reminded that money can buy freedom and independence but not our youth or our health.

I know 2 different people, both about the same age. They could not be more different about money.

One lived every day like it was his last. He really seem to enjoy life. He traveled the world, enjoyed hobbies, and fine dinning. He seemed genuinely happy. Everyone liked him. He recently died and to everyone's surprised he was dead broke. His nephew found a book on his shelf about dying broke. lol.

The other friend acquired tens of millions after a lifetime of saving. He saved and invested every dime and literally has never spent any money enjoying life until recently. He finally bought that new sports car he always dreamed of. Unfortunately he probably waited too long. He never drives it because he has difficulty getting in and out of it. Very recently he was diagnosed with a health condition that limits his mobility. Now all he does is bitch about his lost youth.

Our health is truly the ultimate wealth.
+1 on health. My neighbor across the street wasn't feeling well, and now we find out she might only have a few weeks to live. Trying to come to terms with this shock. Plan for the future, but try to live well in the moment. Really "time" is of such great value, and sometimes we go off-track when we fail to keep that in mind. Especially time when healthy and able to make the most use of it.
Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Not that I've got it all figured out, but I try to live by this: "Everything you own, in some way owns you." I've never felt so free, as when I owned practicality nothing, in the 90's when living in a tiny house (before it was a thing) with my wife, in the foothills of Colorado. Our time then was mostly our own, because other "things" didn't have a claim on it. Now I work in IT and have a lot more money, but in some ways not as much freedom.

In regards to things owning you, probably my old $1400 1970 CJ5 had the least ownership claim on me. Off-road damage didn't matter, and it was even a surprisingly good city vehicle, easy to see over traffic, could fit into the tightest parking spot. I rarely worried about that vehicle parking anywhere in Chicago. Soft top did not lock and it only had an AM radio. No one wanted anything to do with that old truck, lol. It was so liberating - compared to the cost and worry of a new vehicle.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I am reminded that money can buy freedom and independence but not our youth or our health.

The other friend acquired tens of millions after a lifetime of saving. He saved and invested every dime and literally has never spent any money enjoying life until recently. He finally bought that new sports car he always dreamed of. Unfortunately he probably waited too long. He never drives it because he has difficulty getting in and out of it. Very recently he was diagnosed with a health condition that limits his mobility. Now all he does is bitch about his lost youth.
Ha! I can "somewhat" relate to that! Not the rich part but I've owned convertible sport cars and I'm fully aware I do not look graceful crawling out of one.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Very good comments recently. It's totally true that the real wealth in life is health. Absolutely agree.

But zooming back to the business world, I also agree that Jeep has done its research (like all companies do). There's no question that they figured out their consumer base was wealthier than perhaps perceived, and especially moving into the JL model they wanted to capitalize (ha) on that. I agree that 80k JLs are on the horizon. The diesel put them that much closer, and the hybrids will be here before we know it.

As for me, well, my wife and I received the highest rebate check you could get, so that should tell you how much we make lol, but we get by and we're generally happy (as far as I know - ha!). We have an 18-month-old daughter who is just the best thing that has ever happened to us, and we're just taking care of our little home and yard as best we can.

Good luck to all and truly, even if you're wealthy beyond knowing what to do with it, find joy and use in the things you have naturally.

Sponsored

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
Your wealth is your health. No truer words have ever been spoken. Fortunately, my wife and I traveled lot and took the kids to some cool places. But after 18 years of battling Parkinson's (discovered when I was 39 years old), there are lots of places I have not not seen and I really regret it. I now walk with a cane and can't make it all the way through an airport. My balance is shit and I can barely get in and out of my Corvette. I live comfortably but would trade it all for my health.​

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not that I've got it all figured out, but I try to live by this: "Everything you own, in some way owns you." I've never felt so free, as when I owned practicality nothing, in the 90's when living in a tiny house (before it was a thing) with my wife, in the foothills of Colorado. Our time then was mostly our own, because other "things" didn't have a claim on it. Now I work in IT and have a lot more money, but in some ways not as much freedom.

In regards to things owning you, probably my old $1400 1970 CJ5 had the least ownership claim on me. Off-road damage didn't matter, and it was even a surprisingly good city vehicle, easy to see over traffic, could fit into the tightest parking spot. I rarely worried about that vehicle parking anywhere in Chicago. Soft top did not lock and it only had an AM radio. No one wanted anything to do with that old truck, lol. It was so liberating - compared to the cost and worry of a new vehicle.
I'm of the same feelings. Every nice vehicle I've owned was stressful to park and leave anywhere. Once they got rough looking and some scratches and dents, I relaxed more. My 2014 truck is getting a little scuffed up and much more comfy for me. I had a Camaro SS that was pretty nice and everytime I parked it, I felt stressed. For good reason. It got bumped into in parking lots twice and rearended once on the freeway. Glad I got rid of that stress. The Jeep is still a bit new, but I'm starting to relax a bit with it. The big aftermarket bumper and Rock Hard step rock rails help. Now that I can afford a really nice foreign sports car, I don't want one, in part due to the stress it brings. I was all excited about getting a mid engined Vette. But I think it's going to turn into a motorhome. LOL.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
It don't matter which box you checked in the poll, I grew up very poor but we were happy. Now after several years of hard work and smart money management I'm a little higher level of poor
I've been working hard and saving for a whole lot of years so I thought I was in that "higher level of poor" too, but your signature shows a 2019 Rubicon and I'm struggling to find a way to buy the lowest price sport. I may end up looking for a 5 year old JK instead of a new JL.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
No one wanted anything to do with that old truck, lol. It was so liberating - compared to the cost and worry of a new vehicle.
We have to have a "town car" since people don't give a crap dinging your doors or worse, and it truly is liberating having a ride you don't go ape-chit if you happen to notice a new scratch, ding or dent :)
My T100 fit that bill to a T!

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Honestly, I think maybe where the OP is coming from, is trying to get a reality check by surverying others to determine on average, how much of disposable income are people willing to spend on a vehicle, or in this case a jeep. I don’t think they meant to pry into peoples privacy.

not going to lie, I ask myself this a lot. My fiancé and I would like to purchase a rubicon at the end of this year, assuming our jobs continue to remain stable. By I do keep battling with myself, do I want to afford a rubicon, or should I really even afford a rubicon, even if I can.

so maybe the more PC question is, what percentage of disposable income do you all feel is reasonable to spend on a car, let alone a toy car?

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Honestly, I think maybe where the OP is coming from, is trying to get a reality check by surverying others to determine on average, how much of disposable income are people willing to spend on a vehicle, or in this case a jeep. I don’t think they meant to pry into peoples privacy.

not going to lie, I ask myself this a lot. My fiancé and I would like to purchase a rubicon at the end of this year, assuming our jobs continue to remain stable. By I do keep battling with myself, do I want to afford a rubicon, or should I really even afford a rubicon, even if I can.

so maybe the more PC question is, what percentage of disposable income do you all feel is reasonable to spend on a car, let alone a toy car?
I think a good rule of thumb would be no more than 10% of your net monthly. Definitely less than 10% of your monthly gross. Including insurance. And for most people, that may require a 20% down payment or trade equity.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Really not surprising.. if you make less than $60k annually you probably shouldn't be driving a $50k vehicle (just my opinion of course)most people have supplemental income from something.. and it's a free country. I realize this was probably just for fun.. better data would have been $50k-$75k and $75k-$100k, $100k-$120k, then over $120k because you can afford whatever you want to drive in that bracket.
Sponsored