First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I don't think anything can be learned from this. $100,000 a year in small town Alabama is living large. In San Francisco it would be homeless living in a jeep.
Just another reason I wouldn't live in SF.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
if someone is making $100k in Alabama they aren't going to make $100k in SF, prob closer to $200k
Depends....
A company with a national footprint will adjust pay regionally. But, if you transfer to a lower cost of living region, they generally keep your salary the same. At least my old company did. Conversely, if you transfer to the higher COL area, you get an adjustment upward. But you'd be surprised how small they pay a difference is across the U.S.. It does not make up for local housing differences by any stretch.

Also, consider that a graduating engineer from a well respected college in the midwest will most assuredly seek employment to the top bidder across the country. My company started top graduating engineers around 100k. They pay that or pretty close to that regardless of locale, because they want the talent and it's competitive to get the talent. Other companies may or may not do this.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm going to have to amend my income category. When this thread started, we were in the highest income category. Now, we're in the lowest. In fact, I have huge negative income for this year. Sucks. I'd guess I'm not alone.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is this before spending money on Jeep stuff or after?
Before, during, and after. I'm not destitute, but I lost more in the past 3 months than I ever made in a couple years.

Snug

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Depends....
A company with a national footprint will adjust pay regionally. But, if you transfer to a lower cost of living region, they generally keep your salary the same. At least my old company did. Conversely, if you transfer to the higher COL area, you get an adjustment upward. But you'd be surprised how small they pay a difference is across the U.S.. It does not make up for local housing differences by any stretch.

Also, consider that a graduating engineer from a well respected college in the midwest will most assuredly seek employment to the top bidder across the country. My company started top graduating engineers around 100k. They pay that or pretty close to that regardless of locale, because they want the talent and it's competitive to get the talent. Other companies may or may not do this.
That's not really what I'm talking about, but yes that's true. I'm talking about the cost opportunity of making more, especially when moving companies.

On top of that, you have a greater chance of getting higher paying jobs the more you move around in California. It's not unheard of to get a 30-50, or even more pay raise moving companies within the Bay Area. I got nearly a 70k increase in pay when I moved my last job.

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Why? All public companies disclose the highest paid people in our society. Our gov't lists all employee salaries on a website. Ranges for careers are well known. People are very forthcoming about WHAT they do for a living. What's the big deal about how much they get paid? What? Theyre worried people will know their salary is10% below the national average for a machinist or truck driver? Gimme a break. It's BS. You can tell more about someone's income from where they live and what they drive than the IRS knows.
Bingo. I never understood why it’s such a personal question. It’s not too hard to figure out what a person makes these days if you know who they work for and what their job title is. It’s no big secret anymore.

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure why all the negativity in this thread. I think the survey is pretty accurate. I don’t think many people are making up numbers. The wife and I are a common example. We chose stable careers, but have sacrificed in other areas given our line of work. I work in law enforcement and moved up the ranks. My wife works in the medical field. Since we both work for government entities, our salaries are published on the web. I make $140k per year base salary and she makes a little over $100k. I have the fortunate ability to double my income with the amount of overtime my job demands and I usually do just that. We both contribute to our pensions (mandatory) and we max out our 401k/457 contributions. We invest our money but not aggressively. We are homeowners in California and we live pretty comfortably. Besides the mortgage and the car we don’t carry any other debt. If we want new mods on the Jeep, I work overtime and pay cash. New furniture? Overtime. College tuition for my girls? Overtime. I’m 45 and will be eligible to retire in 5 years but I’ll probably keep working until my wife can retire. I actually like my job despite the shit show going on in the world right now. We will both retire comfortably and have full medical benefits for life. On the flip side, we have both sacrificed a lot in our line of work. I’ve missed countless holidays, weekends, and some birthdays. I’ve been injured pretty badly but thankfully recovered 100%. My wife has been exposed to some awful stuff herself. We reward ourselves when we can because tomorrow isn’t guaranteed.

There are hundreds of thousands of people (or more) in this country in our line of work making similar money. So it’s not that uncommon. And I think most people here are being honest and providing accurate information in response to the OP’s question.

Sponsored

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
It also needs to be broken down into married or single.

Married math, you have $20 and she has $5, how much money does she have?
$25 😂

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Hey you $200k+ folks, can I get a job? Then I can afford a 392 and my wife can stay home and keep the house clean sit on the couch and watch TV. I can say that, she doesn't read these forums. :LOL:

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I work in law enforcement and moved up the ranks.
Thank you for your service! I do NOT hate police like one side of the political spectrum typically (not all) does. Now can I please have some baseball cards? :D

If you ever make it to CO, I'll buy you a long island, or beer, or water, whatever. Much respect to you, and any in military or law enforcement. I always see police cars at Chick-fil-a and I've left gift cards on their car under their windshield wipers before. Hopefully just something to bring a smile to their day when there's so much hate towards them and they're portrayed as racist hateful people.

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Have hard time understanding why anyone would lease a Wrangler. Cant customize it.
I totally agree. However, I was looking at the Hybrid and there was no way I was going to buy a battery that needed to be replaced in 3-4 years. In this case, leasing would be my only consideration.

DesertDweller520

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
I voted to see the results, which explain how so many people have customized new JLURs. I'm struggling to buy a used JKU. I'm rooting for the dealers to keep dropping prices in these pandemic times.
If only you could have seen into the future on that one. Hope you bought one back then
Sponsored