Jeep ordered now for the charger

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Trying to decide on a charger based on what I’ve read these seem to be 2 of the more popular ones. I live in Washington state and park outside so the charger will be in the elements . Which would be better and what precautions can I/should I take to protect the charger itself? Also there are no rebates available for the chargers in my area.

0B2DEB6D-FFCA-49F7-AD13-B91CBF26F464.png
Sponsored

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Grizzl-e is built in and for Canada weather, don’t think you can go wrong there. I just got mine even though it will be mounted indoors.

IrishJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 T&C, '17 Grand Cherokee, '21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Technical Writer
Congrats on your order! I have the ChargePointe and have no problems with it. We had done pretty bitter cold lately and it always did its job. Mine is mounted indoors, but Scooby lives outdoors so it sees the weather.

Good luck with your decision.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
I use the Grizzl-e. Works just fine.

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe (exp delivery end of Jan 2022)
If your utility company offers a rebate, check with them first to see if you can only use certain manufacturer's chargers for the rebate. I got the Grizzl-E Avalanache (as I understand it, the same as what you posted only looks a little different) and, thankfully, started the rebate paperwork before having the electrical work done. My utility only lets you use certain chargers, ChargePoint being one. But those were all sold out online. Then, the utility company told me the Mopar charger is a ChargePoint, and those were in stock, so I ended up returning the Grizzl-E and getting one of those.

Sponsored

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Then, the utility company told me the Mopar charger is a ChargePoint
The mopar unit is a juicebox, not a chargepoint, but both the juicebox and the chargepoint are good units.

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, 4xe
I have a chargepoint and like it. Just as a side note, you can buy it straight from the chargepoint website a lot cheaper than that Amazon seller's price.

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I have a chargepoint and like it. Just as a side note, you can buy it straight from the chargepoint website a lot cheaper than that Amazon seller's price.

This. The Amazon sellers are charging a ridiculous premium to get them to you faster. ChargePoint took a few extra weeks, but it was worth the wait. Plus their app is awesome.

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe (exp delivery end of Jan 2022)
The mopar unit is a juicebox, not a chargepoint, but both the juicebox and the chargepoint are good units.
Sorry, you are right- JuiceBox! The Ultility company paperwork had me looking under the manufacturer name, Enel-X and then, when I actually talked to the dude, he cued me in on the JuiceBox thing and Mopar being compatible.

The Juicebox, Chargepoint and one other you could use for the rebate were all sold out online (Amazon + some other places, could only find them available from suppliers that require you to be a reseller- ie: electrical supply folks, so it was worth the Mopar mark-up to be able to have the work and charger covered under rebate.)

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Very happy with the Grizzle. Price has gone up a lot though. I paid $400 about 9 months ago but it only had a 18' cable.

Sponsored

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
Got the grizzle but have yet to use it as I am still waiting for my vehicles. I didn’t have access to a rebate and didn’t see the premium of the other models to be worth it for me. Simpler is better in my eyes

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Another vote for the Grizzl-E Classic, been using mine since Sept 2021, been working great. My power company was offering a 75% credit up to $200 dollars for an EVSE, didn't specify any particular brand, only stipulations were the EVSE has to be new and UL listed.

Steemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xE
I just installed the Grizzl-E Classic, a no frills charger, as long as you don't care about all the wifi bells and whistles its a solid charger. The heavy duty construction is a plus if you're looking to mount it outside.

Deleted member 72291

Another vote for the Grizzl-e (“dumb” version). It’s a fantastic EVSE and is incredibly well built!

For the two hours and change it takes to charge the 4xe, spending extra on a WiFi unit just doesn’t make sense. If I ever get a full BEV, then I might upgrade to one of those. But if your utility gives a rebate on one (mine doesn’t. We love coal in Kentucky, not green energy. Lol) then go for it.

What I don’t understand is people trying to skimp on these and get crappy/shady EVSE’s off Amazon to save a few bucks. You’re gonna spend $50k+ on the Jeep then try and save $200 on a cheap EVSE? That’s like buying a Ferrari and throwing a dollar store tarp on it instead of a nice car cover.