Sponsored

Jeep optional steel bumper vs aftermarket bumper?

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
This question is specifically about the front bumper. I am trying to decide if I should order the optional Jeep steel bumpers, or just buy aftermarket. This will be my first Jeep.

Are there functional advantages to having the Jeep steel front bumper, over an aftermarket bumper? Looking at aftermarket bumpers, it seems the factory Jeep bumper would have better aerodynamics and potentially less lift and less noise than the aftermarket bumpers I have looked at.

Is there really a noticeable difference?

I will probably be replacing the rear bumper with a tire carrier/bumper within a year. I don't care if the rear doesn't aesthetically match the front.
Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
This question is specifically about the front bumper. I am trying to decide if I should order the optional Jeep steel bumpers, or just buy aftermarket. This will be my first Jeep.

Are there functional advantages to having the Jeep steel front bumper, over an aftermarket bumper? Looking at aftermarket bumpers, it seems the factory Jeep bumper would have better aerodynamics and potentially less lift and less noise than the aftermarket bumpers I have looked at.

Is there really a noticeable difference?

I will probably be replacing the rear bumper with a tire carrier/bumper within a year. I don't care if the rear doesn't aesthetically match the front.
I don’t think there are any functional or aerodynamic advantages, but you do get to keep the fog lights which most aftermarket bumpers don’t. The factory steel bumper is a solid well built bumper that looks great with the Jeep and can support any winch. But if you’re going to replace the rear bumper then it makes more sense to go plastic and buy the front steel bumper separate. It will be a better bang for your buck. The steel bumper package is expensive. You can find the Mopar bumper on the marketplace for $600-800 usually.

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Absolutely get aftermarket. I have a Rubicon with factory plastic bumpers just put on a LOD signature series front bumper its significantly more sturdy than the mopar steel bumpers ive seen and includes a winch plate as well as retains use of the factory fogs both led or halogen. (go for the LEDs) The factory steel bumpers do not even come with a winch plate so you have to buy that anyway.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep optional steel bumper vs aftermarket bumper? IMG_20210203_121641275_HDR
Sponsored