Sponsored

Jeep moves slightly after setting parking brake and letting off the brakes in Park

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
This is for the 8 speed auto. I’ve always made it a habit to use the parking brake when parking even with an automatic (I used to live in a hilly area with street only parking). I feel that it helps ease wear on the transmission gears in the long run. My process has always been: Shift into Park with brake held down and while the foot brake is still held down, pull the parking brake, and finally let off the foot brake.

I noticed that my JL still moves forward/back very slightly (depends if on an incline/decline) before it stays in place. It’s as if the parking brake didn’t engage. I tested to make sure the parking brake is working by stopping on a slight downhill and pulling the lever. Sure enough it stays put until released. Anyone else noticing this? Not sure if it’s characteristic of the Wrangler or if it has to do with the hill start assist feature (to keep the JL from moving backward when starting uphill) somehow staying activated during Parking and finally disengaging when letting off the foot brake causing the slight movement.
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Back in the day I was taught in driving school that the proper procedure was:

1. Keep foot on brakes.
2. Shift to Neutral.
3. Engage parking brake.
4. Take foot off brakes.
5. Let car settle.
6. Shift to Park.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm afraid "IT HAS TO DO" with your applying the brakes BEFORE "P" and the jeep will move until the "P" paw[ is engaged--it's not just the JL jeep--happens all the time in PICKUP trucks(ike mine)

Whatever

JIMBO

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the day I was taught in driving school that the proper procedure was:

1. Keep foot on brakes.
2. Shift to Neutral.
3. Engage parking brake.
4. Take foot off brakes.
5. Let car settle.
6. Shift to Park.
This is how I've done it when I had a manual. Admittedly haven't used the parking brake much with an auto.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
I'm afraid "IT HAS TO DO" with your applying the brakes BEFORE "P" and the jeep will move until the "P" paw[ is engaged--it's not just the JL jeep--happens all the time in PICKUP trucks(ike mine)

Whatever

JIMBO
I think a cat may have walked across your keyboard after you finished typing and before you hit Post ;)

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
Just name your Jeep "Lurch", and be done with it. :)

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My JK's parking brake doesn't hold on even very modest slopes, even when I pull the level very hard. I'm hoping my JL (when it comes) will be better.

But of course, the parking brake holds only on the rear wheels. If you're on a steep downslope (ie Black Bear Pass) it's not going to hold. But in 4wd the transmission will. The problem is that it may be difficult or impossible to shift out of Park if there's a lot of tension on the pawl. So my question is: has any one ever really gotten into trouble that way?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
My JK's parking brake doesn't hold on even very modest slopes, even when I pull the level very hard. I'm hoping my JL (when it comes) will be better.

But of course, the parking brake holds only on the rear wheels. If you're on a steep downslope (Black Bear Pass :) it's not going to hold. But in 4wd the transmission will. The problem is that it may be difficult or impossible to shift out of Park if there's a lot of tension on the pawl. So my question is: has any one ever really gotten into trouble that way?
I think you can get the parking brake cable tightened so that it does hold.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Speaking of, does the JL have the same, old-fashioned parking brake cable as the JK, or is it some kind of new-fangled fly-by-wire device? I know it has the lever.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Tried that. The dealer said he couldn't do anything more.
Then something needs to be replaced I would think. My JK does not do this. If it is out of adjustment what part needs to be replaced to fix it?

Should not be an issue on JL or any other vehicle with parts that are not worn needing replacement.
Sponsored