Jeep Mods Special for your Dog

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
dogs.
few things have cost me more in money or heartache (when they leave). and still, we do dogs.

one of the first things i needed was a place for her.
in our 4-door, that meant adding the Mopar Gap Hider to cover the hole where the hinges are for the rear seat when it's folded down. (some trim levels have this; my Willys did not.) this is important because our rear seat is folded down 95+% of the time, because, dog. it's Dogland back there.

next was security.
our Dutch Shepard (Kizzie, the Wonderpup) wears a car safety harness that's attached via a looped cable lead that slides along a runner that is fastened to both rear seat grab handle mounts over the rear doors. it's set up so that it's just barely long enough that she can lay down in the back and so that she can move from side to side as she wishes.

lastly, we have a Canvasback Cargo Liner (in a futile attempt) to try to help keep the never-ending fur out of (most of) the carpet. it is remarkable how much fur a Dutchie can lose and still have fur.
https://www.canvasback.com/jeep-wrangler-jl-4-dr-cargo-liners.html
it does not fit perfectly, but it's close, and helps a lot.

while she loves to stick her head in-between us in the front seats while we're driving every once-in-a-while to see where we're going (because she *always* wants to know what's going on), Kizzie never tries to get in the front because we've told her not to. it's a Dutchie thing. i kid not when i say Wonderpup.

IMG_7820.HEIC.jpg

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
This is Misty. A cattle dog we received a rescue. She loves to ride in the 2-Door JLR Jeep when we go hiking.

Bable Tower 1.jpg

Don't do all that much to the Jeep other than putting down a couple towels.
Here's a couple of action shots.

Bable Tower 6.jpg

Wiseman .jpg

Just don't leave the keys in the Jeep like I did. Misty figured out how to drive the rig through the water crossing. :D

Bable Tower 7.jpg

Hope you have many adventures with your critters and your new Jeep

Last edited:
OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mazda Protogé, '23 Earl JLUR (on order)
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
lastly, we have a Canvasback Cargo Liner (in a futile attempt) to try to help keep the never-ending fur out of (most of) the carpet. it is remarkable how much fur a Dutchie can lose and still have fur.
Yeah, it's for this reason exactly I'm leaning towards tearing out the carpets altogether & installing a bed liner on the interior of my jeep... Dog hair in carpets is something that drives me fucking bonkers.

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Fudster

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I considered this a one point. The problem I saw was with more than one dog they would get tangled in the straps. My boys are constantly going from one side to the other checking the views and scents.
I hear you. Still more, I don't want to be a party pooper or worse, make your dogs uncomfortable--although I will gladly compromise some of their comfort for safety.

The prior sentence is a preamble of sorts to the idea of engaging your dog's safety belt's ratcheting system by, once connected to Fido's harness, fully pulling the belt out and having it ratchet back. What I describe is similar, as you may know, to how child car seats are installed.

Sure, this will limit his mobility as the belt locks in place, and yes, something is to be said of not engaging the belt's ratchet so that in a short stop the belt can extend somewhat before motion engages its rachet, thereby minimizing Fido's chest trauma, but I guess its better for me to have Fido feel like he's done "one too many bench presses" after a short stop, than him having a losing battle with your windshield.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Well no real mod here, just a cheap rear seat cover to help with the dog hair.

When the dogs go with us they have to be in the rear seat. 1st because they would die if they were all the way in the back, they have to be able to get to their humans.

2nd because we always take stuff with us. One of my must haves is food, no food, no off roading. Not to mention a cooler for water, etc.
3rd the second I open any door they are ready to bail, so can't have that, easier to have them in the back seat.

IMG_20220118_092535.jpg

MommaTK

First Name
Sherie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon, 2022 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Yeah, it's for this reason exactly I'm leaning towards tearing out the carpets altogether & installing a bed liner on the interior of my jeep... Dog hair in carpets is something that drives me fucking bonkers.
We replaced our carpet with vinyl in our 2 door. Game changer!

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Language!! 😳. You’re Canadian for crying out loud, eh.
We are polite, doesn't mean we are nice or aren't crass. There's a fine distinction.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Sahara, Audi Q5, Porsche 911
I keep the rear seat folded down so he’s got tons of room.

I tried 2 kinds of liners and ended up buying those home winter door mats that have like a polyester top with a vinyl backing.

Got 1 that was cut to shape and covers the rear floor when the seats are up and another that was also cut to shape for when the seats are down (which is most of the time).

The vinyl got too cold in the winter and warm in the summer and the fabric one just wasn’t waterproof. Now I go the best of both worlds.

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, Bedtread or Armorlite for the carpet. It was the first mod I did when I got my Jeep.

Extreme Terrain