Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
In my more than 35 year of off roading all over North and South America I can’t think of one time that either of these options would have been really needed let alone used for the average weekend off roader. What is needed more off road is greater wheel articulation, larger factory tires and improved underbody protection. Which would cost a heck of a lot less for the end user then the gimmicks Jeep is looking at.

Competition is great sure, but making a vehicle more complicated with sales gimmicks to fix something that is not broken makes for increased problems over the life of the vehicle.

With the nightmare I and others are having with our JL(U/R) electrical systems failing, I could only imagine how much worst it would be if these gimmicks were optioned in.

Give us engines options without all the ESS, push to start button and eTorque junk, improved electronics , PAINT, non leaking tops, larger tires, better articulation, improved under armor and a sales/service experience more in line with the price point FIRST and then address looking at more gimmicks.
What Tony says here is so true. More clearance and some heavy aluminum armor on the belly would sure go a long way in my book. And a plastic bumper!?? Bitch,please......
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
$7,000.00
$5,600.00
$2,000.00
$1,000.00
Gone.

The price history and lifespan of GM's Quadrasteer.

That technology served a different mission brief, but its failure was walked back to an anticipated popularity that never materialized.

Jeeps aren't light trucks, but they're still a blood relation in some sense here...as is the off-road turn assist feature vis-a-vis Quadrasteer. Will we see history repeat itself, if turn assist finds a way, and a price, to the Wrangler's monthly Order Guide?

Give us...a sales/service experience more in line with the price point FIRST and then address looking at more gimmicks.
+100.

In terms of the overall buying experience, with respect to the price tier/range that the Wrangler occupies, I expected a lot more than what I got.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Dear Jeep, I would love to buy my 3rd Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator in the 15+ years I’ve owned Jeeps, all of which were Rubicons. But I can’t get myself to buy a new one even though I am ready because in my opinion, Jeep, you are focusing on the wrong things, and it drives me crazy.

What I want is quite simple:
  • Get half doors on a Wrangler or Gladiator without having to get full doors or paying a premium. I used to be able to do that. Either doors choice, same price. Half doors I even think where cheaper since no power windows or power locks, power mirrors, etc.
  • On the sky one-touch power top, it would be super awesome if the rear window (above tailgate) was easily removable. It drives me nuts that the top is so awesome especially with half doors giving a very open experience but the rear window ruins it.
Some other ideas:
  • On the Wrangler offer a Safari style roof rack basket that works with all three roof tops.
  • On the Gladiator offer a simple frame/bed rack extending above the roof line that supports a tonneau cover.
  • If you want something more unique compared to competition that I’ve used aftermarket in the past, how about a removable 3rd row seat in a Wrangler? Wow.
@JeepCares

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I am very happy with my JL, too.

My original comment was about FCA sending out an email survey with 3 check boxes to gauge consumer interest in something as complex --and expensive-- as 4-wheel steering.
I know, and don't really disagree. It just takes me one check box to tell them I don't want it.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am very happy with my JL, too.

My original comment was about FCA sending out an email survey with 3 check boxes to gauge consumer interest in something as complex --and expensive-- as 4-wheel steering.
Note that this doesn't need to be complex or expensive depending on implementation.

If the rear wheels actually steer in such as way that diagonal movement is possible, then yeah. No thanks.

But if all they do is a software change that allows the driver to choose to electronically activate the brakes on the inside rear wheel when steering at low speed in 4L - that has no parts, no cost, no...nothing. It almost makes one wonder why it isn't already there. This is too easy to do.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
GM did the 4-wheel steering on pickups and needless to say it didn't last long.

Granted, that's GM...the world leader in horrible engineering and quality control. But still...

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Honda did that crap way back on the junk Preludes, all the suspension bits wore out real fast and the owners were stuck with nice fate repair bills so other OEMs are as stupid with gimmicks as GM.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
GM did the 4-wheel steering on pickups and needless to say it didn't last long.

Granted, that's GM...the world leader in horrible engineering and quality control. But still...
Actually, the GM system worked pretty well and folks who had it and trailered particularly loved it. But it cost twice as much to get an alignment and ultimately, the cost of the system up front probably played a role in its demise. IIRC it was a VERY expensive option on an already very expensive truck for a benefit that only came to light in certain limited situations. I do remember it had an interesting highway lane change ability where all the wheels would turn in the same direction, so it sort of floated over to the next lane. Neat, but who needs it? It might have been great for a crowded parking lot, but I wouldn't take my ultra expensive GMC truck into the tight areas. I'd park it out where nobody dings doors. Just not enough reason for it. Not enough return on investment.

As for the Jeep, so sometimes you have to back up once or twice to make a maneuver. Big deal. Doesn't happen enough to me off-road, even in tight wooded trails, such as on Drummond Island, to be worth it. Besides that, the JL has a very tight turning radius. Even the 4 door. In fact, on the trail, I've found it to be not too far off the 2 door JK. I can only imagine that the 2 door JL is the top of the food chain in this area. My brother's Gladiator even surprised me.

But they are trying to innovate, which is great. At some point, they'll come across an idea that turns out to be a real winner. Can't wait to see what comes in the next couple years.

Last edited:

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
Absolutely NOT a good thing. Making things more complex never backfires in the remote areas we like to take our jeep ( insert sarcasm) .

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
In my more than 35 year of off roading all over North and South America I can’t think of one time that either of these options would have been really needed let alone used for the average weekend off roader. What is needed more off road is greater wheel articulation, larger factory tires and improved underbody protection. Which would cost a heck of a lot less for the end user then the gimmicks Jeep is looking at.

Competition is great sure, but making a vehicle more complicated with sales gimmicks to fix something that is not broken makes for increased problems over the life of the vehicle.

With the nightmare I and others are having with our JL(U/R) electrical systems failing, I could only imagine how much worst it would be if these gimmicks were optioned in.

Give us engines options without all the ESS, push to start button and eTorque junk, improved electronics , PAINT, non leaking tops, larger tires, better articulation, improved under armor and a sales/service experience more in line with the price point FIRST and then address looking at more gimmicks.
I agree. Fix whats wrong with the product now. Get back to basics for off road and on road. My God there are so much that jeep cannot fix now. They are in over their heads in the electronic areas and need to hire someone with the knowledge. Maybe one of the aviation electronic engineers would, if you pay them enough. like stated above we don't want or need the the crap. However make it an option for those that do. The axles, elec lockers etc that jeepers are having problems with, we won't even mention the dealers. But you know it's leadership at the top in the end.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Great post!

Unfortunately, there’s no glamour in quality assurance.

Hopefully this will all change with the new bosses taking over soon.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My 18 JLUR came with turn assist and rear axle steering. I spent a grand and many hours "assisting" the front to steer straight and keeping the rear axle from steering. Now you tell me they want to charge extra for it?

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Yea, no one needs these gimmicks on a Wrangler. Simple simple simple. Solid Axles, lockers, articulation and ground clearance. That is all that is needed. All i do is wheel mine in the woods and have never even needed the Turn Assist function. In my eyes it takes the fun out of wheeling. If you want to throw all that garbage on a Jeep than put it on a Grand Cherokee or Wagoneer. Those are going to be the cash cows in which people WANT the gimmicks.
Sponsored