Sponsored

Jeep lift - rather, a double lift?

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Top O' the mornin to ya!

Can you keep the spacer lift, in addition to new(longer) springs? It would sorta give it a double lift.

I already have the longer shocks regardless, but has anyone does this? Essentially, and I presume, a 2.5 inch lift, would end up being 4+ inches?

Anyway, has anyone does this on the JL, or a previous generation Wrangler? I honestly don't see it would make the jeep ride any different, but just curious on your thoughts!

(I haven't posted in a loooooooooooong time, so it's good to be back!)
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Top O' the mornin to ya!

Can you keep the spacer lift, in addition to new(longer) springs? It would sorta give it a double lift.

I already have the longer shocks regardless, but has anyone does this? Essentially, and I presume, a 2.5 inch lift, would end up being 4+ inches?

Anyway, has anyone does this on the JL, or a previous generation Wrangler? I honestly don't see it would make the jeep ride any different, but just curious on your thoughts!

Yes you can, but there's going to be more parts and issues you'll need to address.
  • Adjustable Control Arms
    • Front lowers to address lack of caster
    • Rear uppers to address possible rear pinion angle problem
    • I would think you should really do all four locations to dial in the correct steering and pinion geometry
  • Track Bars
    • Front needed to re-center axle
    • Rear or track bar relocation bracket to re-center axle
  • Longer front and rear sway bar links
  • Longer front and rear brake lines??
  • Aftermarket driveshafts (??)....not sure as it will depend on your pinion angles and how much down travel you will have
  • Definitely will need an alignment done afterwards
in the end, maybe it would be easier to just get a 3.5" lift kit (especially since some will net you more than 3.5") with all of the needed parts and ditch the spacers altogether.

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes I’m running both
Awesome! Seems some people like it, and some hate it (just from reading the JK forum of old posts). How does it ride?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Awesome! Seems some people like it, and some hate it (just from reading the JK forum of old posts). How does it ride?
Like you said, it would not make the Jeep ride any different, at least the spacer part. Overall it rides like dream, The spacer was to make minor adjustments to get the perfect lift height I wanted.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes you can, but there's going to be more parts and issues you'll need to address.
  • Adjustable Control Arms
    • Front lowers to address lack of caster
    • Rear uppers to address possible rear pinion angle problem
    • I would think you should really do all four locations to dial in the correct steering and pinion geometry
  • Track Bars
    • Front needed to re-center axle
    • Rear or track bar relocation bracket to re-center axle
  • Longer front and rear sway bar links
  • Longer front and rear brake lines??
  • Aftermarket driveshafts (??)....not sure as it will depend on your pinion angles and how much down travel you will have
  • Definitely will need an alignment done afterwards
in the end, maybe it would be easier to just get a 3.5" lift kit (especially since some will net you more than 3.5") with all of the needed parts and ditch the spacers altogether.

I put the 2.5 springs on the rear as a test and definately is much higher (havent did front yet, that is tommorow's job) but seems everything looks okay. The only thing is that the e-brake seems tighter (meaning, there is no way I could go any higher - not that I would want to).

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Like you said, it would not make the Jeep ride any different, at least the spacer part. Overall it rides like dream, The spacer was to make minor adjustments to get the perfect lift height I wanted.

Did you have to do anything with the control arms, etc, as the @limeade mentioned?

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
I second this. You do it just to dial in your lift. In other words if you carry alot of weight and are getting spring sag and want to raise the rear end or if you just want a little more height than what your lift gave you. You can mix and match spacers as well (.5" front, 3/4" rear, etc)

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I put the 2.5 springs on the rear as a test and definately is much higher (havent did front yet, that is tommorow's job) but seems everything looks okay. The only thing is that the e-brake seems tighter (meaning, there is no way I could go any higher - not that I would want to).

For the rear E-Brake, you can move the cables so they are routed under the cross-member and not over. The Rock Krawler lift instructions show how to do this. Synergy makes a nice bracket to secure the cables when they are run this way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So initially, I just installed this about 1.5 years ago:

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-s...nFiTX1NYEzyGhcyDZT2wJ0oWHTYM2HuhoCdxUQAvD_BwE

About 6 months after, I got rid of my shocks and got longer ones, and ditched the shock relation brackets that the spacer lift came with.(that is what those are for anyway - the stock shocks)

Everything was good and dandy, but one thing that bothered me was the slight sag in the rear.

So I decided to get longer springs to go with my longer shocks. Honestly, didn't have to do anything, or add anything else (meaning, kept everything from the spacer lift kit on the link above).

You can see from the pic of the new springs, with my fox shocks, and same sway bar links.

lift.jpg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You should re-route your e brake lines to under the frame cross member . Rock krawler has you do this with 3.5” or more of lift in their instructions.....like this.....
6ADBE41D-FEBF-4455-8DD6-CE78A4436FF0.jpeg

oops! Didn’t see @limeade post, well here’s pic anyway, lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You should re-route your e brake lines to under the frame cross member . Rock krawler has you do this with 3.5” or more of lift or more in their instructions.....like this.....
6ADBE41D-FEBF-4455-8DD6-CE78A4436FF0.jpeg
Thank you! Great idea!

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Top O' the mornin to ya!

I installed a 1.25 inch spacer lift. that way the caster and pinion angles aren't too different from spec. On top of that I will install a 1.5 inch body lift. That way I have the clearance for 35s with the same articulation space I have right now. I like the higher seating. It makes it look and more importantly perform more capable. Still great ride quality and none of the suspension parts have to be replaced or altered.

my jeep drives great, and I cannot wait to get another 2.5 inches hight added from body lift and tires.
Sponsored