Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Jeep® Brand Launches 'Pale Blue Dot' Video, Featuring the Words of Carl Sagan, to Launch the New Jeep Wrangler 4xe
  • “Pale Blue Dot” video created in partnership with Emmy and Peabody Award-winning American writer, producer Ann Druyan (married to Carl Sagan from 1981 until his death in 1996)
  • “Pale Blue Dot” will air on television on Tuesday, September 22, during the U.S. broadcast premiere of “Cosmos: Possible Worlds” on Fox at 8 p.m. ET/PT
  • For every completed view of the video on the Jeep® brand’s YouTube channel, the brand will make a donation to combat climate change
  • 4xe electric vehicle technology is the natural evolution of nearly 80 years of Jeep capability leadership
  • Jeep 4xe vehicles provide new levels of efficiency, environmental responsibility, performance and capability, on and off the road

Watch Video

September 15, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The Jeep® brand and Ann Druyan, the widow and collaborator of Carl Sagan, have joined together to create the 90-second video "Pale Blue Dot," which launches the new Jeep Wrangler 4xe and puts attention on efforts to combat climate change. With every completed view of “Pale Blue Dot” on Jeep brand’s YouTube page, the brand will make a contribution to Coalition for Rainforest Nations and the Carl Sagan Institute of Cornell University to combat climate change.

On Feb. 14, 1990, famed scientist Carl Sagan gave the world an astonishing vantage point of the planet we call home. In 1981, Sagan, a member of the mission’s imaging team, began lobbying NASA to turn Voyager 1’s camera for one last look homeward, once it had completed the first reconnaissance of the outer planets. The resulting image with the Earth appearing as a tiny speck, miniscule in size from out beyond Neptune, almost 4 billion miles away, became known as "the pale blue dot."

The brand worked together with Emmy and Peabody Award-winning American writer, producer, director Ann Druyan on creative elements of the piece, hinging on Carl Sagan’s narration. The Jeep brand’s “Pale Blue Dot” video includes passages from Sagan’s 1994 book "Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space” in which he spoke in-depth about the photograph.

“Jeep is in a process of electrification of its lineup, and we feel a big responsibility to market it properly because it is not just a technical upgrade, it is a new chapter that opens for the brand,” said Olivier Francois, Chief Marketing Officer, FCA. “The core of the brand’s DNA is exploration, adventure and freedom, so our customers already have a deep and powerful relationship with nature and with our planet.

“Entrusting us with passages from her husband Carl Sagan’s iconic ‘Pale Blue Dot’ oration is an act of faith and generosity from Ann that is absolutely incredible," Francois added. "We very clearly felt an enormous duty to both protect their shared legacy, and also advocate for this universal message of caring for our planet by giving our global audience the ability to support two climate change causes that are very important to us both, by simply watching 'Pale Blue Dot' video across our social channels.”

“In October 2017, Olivier came to me with a request to use Carl’s iconic soliloquy to introduce a new Jeep model. For obvious reasons, I asked him to please come back to me when Fiat Chrysler made an electric Jeep,” said Ann Druyan, Founder and CEO of Cosmos Studios, maker of science-based entertainment. “Exactly two years passed and he called, saying, 'We made you a car, Annie.' In addition, he had the idea that the ‘Pale Blue Dot’ announcement could become a kind of Earth-friendly engine of its own, generating contributions for the two environmental nonprofits of my choice, through the unskipped views of the online video. Fiat Chrysler has already given the first installment of that support. If enough of us download the video and watch it, that contribution will increase more than tenfold.”

In addition to the YouTube initiative, “Pale Blue Dot” will air on television on Tues., Sept. 22 during the U.S. broadcast premiere of “Cosmos: Possible Worlds” on Fox at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

“Pale Blue Dot” was created in partnership with Doner Agency in Michigan.

Watch Video

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Does FCA offset their EPA credits with a Jeep like this to help offset the mileage/emissions of the 392 V8 that will be released?

InsulinMan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Does FCA offset their EPA credits with a Jeep like this to help offset the mileage/emissions of the 392 V8 that will be released?
The two Jeeps remind me of two siblings. A proper sister that does her family proud, straight-A student, etc, and the loud, partying brother pulling up to Thanksgiving dinner blaring Lynyrd Skynyrd, covered in tats.

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man - I work in advertising, have driven Jeeps my whole life and love Sagan. I have a NASA license plate.

It's like they made this for me.

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
The two Jeeps remind me of two siblings. A proper sister that does her family proud, straight-A student, etc, and the loud, partying brother pulling up to Thanksgiving dinner blaring Lynyrd Skynyrd, covered in tats.
Agree.
I'll take the non green version and turn the radio up when Free Bird comes on.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Making lasting designs is definitely good for the planet. Look at other manufacturers with their short life cycles and mid life face lifts encouraging people to "upgrade" because the grille is a bit different.

4xE will add to waste though... and I don't mean just e-waste.