First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Hello All, I know there was a thread somewhere about the key fob opening up without being asked to.
I have had the same issue since day 1, ( I almost think the engineers made it so big on purpose, Key fob envoy)
What I did was purchase a black rubber O-Ring slightly smaller then the button itself. You almost have to roll it on. But since doing that my key has not opened once, and if you ever need to use the button just press it and the O-Ring comes off and can be reused
Hopefully this will help

IMG_4482.JPG

IMG_4484.JPG

IMG_4485.JPG
Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Hello All, I know there was a thread somewhere about the key fob opening up without being asked to.
I have had the same issue since day 1, ( I almost think the engineers made it so big on purpose, Key fob envoy)
What I did was purchase a black rubber O-Ring slightly smaller then the button itself. You almost have to roll it on. But since doing that my key has not opened once, and if you ever need to use the button just press it and the O-Ring comes off and can be reused
Hopefully this will help

IMG_4482.JPG

IMG_4484.JPG

IMG_4485.JPG
Link to oring?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@richk225

Ha, funny.......... NY/NJ minds must think alike. I put an o-ring on mine, back in May when I got my 2dr. JL. Yup, it does the deed. I did just order a leather key fob from a sponsor on the forum, so o-ring will be history soon.

@JeepJL18

I bought an o-ring assortment pack at Harbor Freight. Cost was about $2.00+- for a while assortment..

OP
OP
richk225

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Very cool Rhinebeck01 !!! scares me even more that I went to Harbor freight too!!!!
I know Home Depot has some but I'm not sure what size they carry. I used to order hard to find parts from McMaster Carr, you name it they have it. Grainger Industrial supply is another one, What about the bands from braces that kids wear, I`m so far behind the times I don`t even know if they still use them
So after looking around the house I found that a standard drinking straw is a snug fit, cut to length. The center section of a ball point pen, again cut to length. And last but not least a vacuum cap from a Holley carb, again cut to fit

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's a great idea with the O-ring ! I never thought of that, I just took a black rubber band and wrap it around the entire fob LOL

Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just put a strip of black duct tape across the key :rock:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I had one of the awesome fob holsters from Gibson Leatherworks ordered right after my Jeep was ordered. Got the matching black leather with red stitching and the windowed version. I keep it in my front pocket, hanging by a caribiner clipped to my belt loop. The window for the buttons creates a recess that helps me feel the buttons through my pants and also prevents accidentally hitting the buttons. Not gonna edit, because that might be the new record for how many times buttons can be used in one sentence. Cheers!

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I opened mine, repositioned the spring, and closed back up.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
No key Fob issue at all, I like it
Sponsored