TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Ok so everyone got my curiosity going and I decided to go build mine - MSRP is $12340 higher than what it was in fall of 2020.

BUT that's not what i'm creating this post about - I notice that the factory leather option DOES NOT MENTION LEATHER. It says "premium McKinley Trimmed seats". Now i'm not familiar with this "McKinley" but it almost certainly doesn't matter, EVERY SINGLE TIME i've seen the "leather" option drop the word "leather" on any given vehicle, it was because the new material was not actually leather. Toyota has done this very recently and all the luxury brands started doing it for their base models something like a decade ago. They all have creative names that evoke high-end leather feel, but do not actually say leather, because they're not actually leather.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so everyone got my curiosity going and I decided to go build mine - MSRP is $12340 higher than what it was in fall of 2020.

BUT that's not what i'm creating this post about - I notice that the factory leather option DOES NOT MENTION LEATHER. It says "premium McKinley Trimmed seats". Now i'm not familiar with this "McKinley" but it almost certainly doesn't matter, EVERY SINGLE TIME i've seen the "leather" option drop the word "leather" on any given vehicle, it was because the new material was not actually leather. Toyota has done this very recently and all the luxury brands started doing it for their base models something like a decade ago. They all have creative names that evoke high-end leather feel, but do not actually say leather, because they're not actually leather.
Interesting, if you build a Rubicon, it says Leather-Trimmed but Sahara's say McKinley-Trimmed.

rubicon seats.png

sahara seats.png

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The price of eggs have doubled, but for some reason are still selling for half off in Mexico…

Supply chain issues have largely been resolved. YoY Inflation is cooling down from 9.1 June 2022 to 6.5 in December 2022. What I suspect is happening now is that companies (and the vendors and the suppliers they work with) are using supply chain issues as a cover to continue increasing prices.
Yep. Look at graphics cards. A high-end GPU just a few years ago topped out at around 700 to 800 bucks, but came down quite a bit a year or two later. Nowadays, mid-tier cards are starting at $800 and previous generation ones have gone up again. This isn't because of supply chain issues or chip shortages, but manufacturers discovered that scalpers were making bank on these cards for mining and just decided to up their prices to match and pocket that difference themselves.

Reactions: AFD

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Huh, I guess Jeep doesn't consider the Bronco much of a threat yet to be raising prices like that.

If Ford can ever deliver Broncos in quantity then those prices may come back down, or at least stop rising so fast. The Wrangler ain't the only game in town anymore for a lot of folks.
You're assuming people only shop vehicles on price alone.
I would not buy a Bronco at any cost.

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T

My MSRP has gone up over $4,000 in 8 months.

May 2022 $53,715
Current $57,860

Sponsored

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
Interesting, if you build a Rubicon, it says Leather-Trimmed but Sahara's say McKinley-Trimmed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep just updated website with HUGE price increases to the Wrangler options. sahara seats

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep just updated website with HUGE price increases to the Wrangler options. sahara seats
I dunno who should be complaining, prospective Rubi or Sahara owners? Never heard of McKinley...sounds trendy like Carpathian or Alcantara. Maybe they are trying to trick people into thinking it's more upscale than it is 🙃

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
You're assuming people only shop vehicles on price alone.
I would not buy a Bronco at any cost.
Lots of others will, and have been buying them. Jeep cannot just ignore the Bronco as it is going to steal a not insignificant amount of buyers away.

I guess if Jeep and Ford keep raising their prices in lockstep it won't matter that much.

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
“Take the money and run!”
“Get it while it’s hot!”
“It’s a dog eat dog world!”
“All’s fair in LOVE and war!”

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Anyone know what today's 'destination charge' is?
1595 I believe, one of the highest of all.
Maybe a year or so ago, a fellow forum member posted a photo of a bill of lading that was errantly discarded in his new Jeep. On it, we saw that the trucking company's charge for a full trailer's worth of vehicles was $1,495.00. This lump-sum fee was exactly equal to the destination charge evident on each individual window sticker. That's quite the mark-up. 😐

-------------

A 2023 JLU Sport that is configured almost identically to my 2021 JLU (that was ordered/priced in Sept. 2020) brings with it a $4K higher price. A Sport, FFS.

"Almost" because the $90 engine block heater option that I have is currently NLA...not that a C-note savings makes any worthwhile difference here.

I do see that vinyl seats and vinyl flooring are new options...and, this being Stellantis, they're damn expensive for what they are. Still, I'd be tempted to tick those boxes this time around.

Deleted member 59498

Maybe a year or so ago, a fellow forum member posted a photo of a bill of lading that was errantly discarded in his new Jeep. On it, we saw that the trucking company's charge for a full trailer's worth of vehicles was $1,495.00. This lump-sum fee was exactly equal to the destination charge evident on each individual window sticker. That's quite the mark-up. 😐
Yeah Jeep is actually 1795 for destination fee, Toyota is still 1335, GM 1495.

Sponsored

TimJL

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Well it looks like I'm sticking with my sport for a while. Thought about swapping it for a Rubicon so I'd get those D44 axles but rather just swap the axles on my own and avoid that absurd price hike.

WheretheJLs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Hydro Blue Rubicon XR
No price increase for me since my original Nov 30th order. Wouldn't even matter if it did as I'm price locked.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It doesn't matter. People keep trading these things in 3~5 years and getting 5-7 year loans with 0-10% down payment.

We live in an era where the middle class is requesting luxury in every vehicle. Everyone wants the fancy stuff to be standard, people with average jobs driving Lexus, Teslas, Rubicons. Paying $500 plus a month for 1 car. With 2 cars that's $1000, and with a $3000 mortgage, their car payments are 30% of their mortgage. Common sense financial responsibility has gone through the drain.

It is nuts out there, people just got used to using too much credit when rates were extremely low. Even though interest rates are through the roof people are still doing it.

People are not seeing the whole picture. They don't think about the total value but about the monthly payments, because they will likely never pay the full thing. They'll just jump to the next car and the next car and the next car.

All these people I see around driving luxury vehicles, which includes new rubicons, are not making half a million dollar a years.

That's what keeps driving prices... The middle class stopped being careful about their spending. Buy now, pay later.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Yep. Look at graphics cards. A high-end GPU just a few years ago topped out at around 700 to 800 bucks, but came down quite a bit a year or two later. Nowadays, mid-tier cards are starting at $800 and previous generation ones have gone up again. This isn't because of supply chain issues or chip shortages, but manufacturers discovered that scalpers were making bank on these cards for mining and just decided to up their prices to match and pocket that difference themselves.
In November 2018 I bought a GeForce GTX 1070 video card for $329.99. Six months or so ago, the same video card was selling for almost $1000. Exact same specs for three times the price...

rubicon20032003

First Name
Joe wrong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
My 22 392 base price when I ordered in January lastyear was 77,065 now 82,495 for a 23
Sponsored