Jeep JLUR rear locker engaging on its own

atmitri

First Name
Assaad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR 2020
Hello, I have a Jeep JLUR 2020, I changed the gears to 4.88 around 4 months ago and my Jeep is running perfectly without any issues. Today while driving on the highway the rear diff locker got engaged automatically, I thought I pressed it by mistake so I turned it off and luckily it did, after few minutes the rear diff locker got engaged again and this time when I turned it off, the diff lock light keeps on blinking on the switch and on the dashboard and its not unlocking, has it happened to anyone before and is there a solution for it?
Sponsored

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hello, I have a Jeep JLUR 2020, I changed the gears to 4.88 around 4 months ago and my Jeep is running perfectly without any issues. Today while driving on the highway the rear diff locker got engaged automatically, I thought I pressed it by mistake so I turned it off and luckily it did, after few minutes the rear diff locker got engaged again and this time when I turned it off, the diff lock light keeps on blinking on the switch and on the dashboard and its not unlocking, has it happened to anyone before and is there a solution for it?
The computer shouldn’t allow Lock unless in 4L - even if there’s a short somewhere calling for it. Did you remove that safety feature, flash the ECU, using a piggyback unit, etc?

OP
OP
atmitri

atmitri

First Name
Assaad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR 2020
The computer shouldn’t allow Lock unless in 4L - even if there’s a short somewhere calling for it. Did you remove that safety feature, flash the ECU, using a piggyback unit, etc?
No I didn’t, it was showing that its engaged on 2H while driving 100km/h approx 60mph, and when I turned it off it kept on blinking but didn’t disengage.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Or a false signal caused by that infamous sensor, made out of unobtainium, located in the diff?

OP
OP
atmitri

atmitri

First Name
Assaad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR 2020
Or a false signal caused by that infamous sensor, made out of unobtainium, located in the diff?
I read a lot about this sensor, does the Z Locker OEM fix this problem? Or there are other solutions? As the axles is regeared so warranty will not cover this fault I presume.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I read a lot about this sensor, does the Z Locker OEM fix this problem? Or there are other solutions? As the axles is regeared so warranty will not cover this fault I presume.
Currently, the sensor isn't available without the rest of the axle assembly attached to it. And yes, I'd imagine most dealers would use the regearing as an excuse to void your warranty or at least refuse to do the work. Even if they did it, it would be the same part destined to bring you back to where you are now.

The zautomotive harness is your best bet, if it is in fact the sensor that is causing your issue.

Last edited:

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Currently, the sensor isn't available without the rest of the axle assembly attached to it. And yes, if imagine most dealers would use the regearing as an excuse to void your warranty or at least refuse to do the work. Even if they did it, it would be the same part destined to bring you back to where you are now.

The zautomotive harness is your best bet, if it is in fact the sensor that is causing your issue.
The problem is deeper. If the dealer does support the claim under warranty, the solution as someone mentioned is a complete axle swap. He’d lose the regearing. That wiring harness from Z automotive is cheap enough it’s worth attempting.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is deeper. If the dealer does support the claim under warranty, the solution as someone mentioned is a complete axle swap. He’d lose the regearing. That wiring harness from Z automotive is cheap enough it’s worth attempting.
What I'm curious about, is whether or not its actually physically locking or just a false read by an oil shorted position sensor.

If it isn't actually locking, I'd feel confident in the Z harness sorting it out. If it is, than it is indeed a deeper issue.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I guess the other two threads with hundreds of comments didn't cover this issue. FFS.
Sponsored