Jeep JLUR or Tacoma TRD Pro

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
I had a 2016 gen 3 TRD OR for around 4 years before I bought my 2019 JLUR.

As far as I am concerned, there is no comparison. The TRD was next to useless offroad. It had a 3"/2" and 285/70/17 Duratracs. Dealer sales was awesome when I picked it up, dealer service was the worst I've ever experienced. The truck squeeked and rattled, the 3.5L was really buzzy and the auto trans could never figure out what gear it wanted to be in. As soon as I started it up I'd put it in sport/manual mode and tow/haul as that was the only way I could tolerate driving it. I had the transmission control module re-flashed with an updated tune that made it marginally better.

The ABS/Traction/stability control system should have been illegal it was so bad. If it was slippery and the truck moved a little bit off of straight, nothing worked. No throttle, everything locking up and unlocking....basically just along for the ride in the snow.

At highway speeds if I had the cruise set and went up a moderately steep hill, it would be buzzing away at 4,000 rpm, once you crested the hill to flat or downhill, the trans wouldn't upshift. I had to manually shift it and then reset the cruise.

The Taco lists a fairly respectable towing capacity (I had the towing package), I believe it was around 6,500lb, but don't quote me. I pulled a 1970 Datsun 240Z race car on an open trailer, total weight of less that 4000lb and it was absolutely tragic. Redlining up hills on the highway in the slow lane getting passed by busses, RV's and camperized VW Vanagons.

In the time I had it, it needed the stereo/nav head unit replaced three times, it was in the shop numerous times to fix the rattling box (google that one, design flaw that was not addressed over 14 years of production), it was in numerous times for very loud (embarrassingly loud) squeeking rear leaf springs (google that as well as it's a well known problem). I ended up strapping the box to the frame with ratchet tie-downs so it would stop rattling, and had to soak the leaf springs in motorcycle o-ring chain lube regularly to stop the noises. The thing sounded like a 30 year old crummy...

The interior did not wear well at all, there is very little adjustability in the seats, the lumbar support if cranked on backs itself off in a very short amount of time.

As far as fuel economy goes, I was averaging around 15.5 L/100km (sorry, I'm from the metric north!) in the Tacoma, and in the JLUR I am averaging around 14.3 L/100km. I believe that's almost 2 mpg better in the Wrangler with a 2" lift and 35" BFG's.

The final straw for me was during a road trip, the Taco had a major electrical "episode" where the 4wd transfer system died, cruise control stopped working, ABS system stopped working, and every warning light on the dash went on.

I put a canopy on the truck, and if it was rainy or muddy, the box would fill with mud and water through the two useless little storage compartments in the box. Not sealed at all.

.....other than all of that I loved it! hahaha
Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Hmm not sure why people ding the "reliability" of Jeep. My TJ was 15yo when I traded it in as I never had any significant issues. My husband's 2017 JKU has 40k miles and we haven't had any issues. Maybe if you treat your vehicle like shit, then there might be problems.
I don't give a fox what you think!!

*grin*

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I think the reliability of Toyota's are overstated and the reliability of Jeep's are understated. They're closer than reported. And so many Jeeps are modded out that it's hard to compare apples to apples. I'm not saying they're the same, just closer.

They're both awesome though. No bad choices.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same thoughts on reliability when we were first thinking of buying a Jeep. At first I was looking to go lightly used, but the more I looked I saw 2- 3 year old Jeeps with northward of 90K miles on the odo. Looking a little older many had anywhere from 120K to near 200K miles on them. That right there told me that Jeeps aren't much different than any other major brand vehicles. The vast majority are very reliable, but some do have problems. Plus after looking at the prices of used I thought I may as well by a new one. It only cost a little more to go first class. And, at one month, and a thousand miles all is going well with the JL. (He says while while knocking on wood). ;):)

The Taco's are fine trucks, but the friends I have that one one say the same about the seating in their's. It doesn't seem that Toyota has updated much interior wise on the new ones.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I deeply, DEEPLY regret the 20+ years I wasted driving Toyota 4wd pickups, before doing what I always wanted to do, which was buy a Jeep.

I thought I was being practical. Maybe I was. But one thing’s for sure:

I’ll never get those years back.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I don't understand the reliability concerns. My TJ was 14 years old, 14x,000 miles on it. Never gave me a problem and I abused that thing. It needed a front shock once, but I decided to lift it instead. Then it had a bad u-joint once so I replaced them all. The JL is too new for me to say if it's reliable (ask me again in 10 years), but so far it has taken everything I have thrown at it. I have no reason to believe it won't last at least 14 years again.

On the flip side I now daily a 2016 Prius, I bought it because "toyota = reliable" and the Prius is supposed to be the most reliable of the bunch. I'm very disappointed in how the Prius is aging. The interior is not holding up, rattles and gets scuffed if you look at it, and it already looks dated (stupid entune, every time I turn around they're removing features). Exterior paint is very thin and chips easily, also seems to get small dents if a sparrow shits on it. Mechanically it seems I have a left front CV shaft failing as I approach the end of the warranty so that is really disappointing. This Prius is my first non-Chrysler product and so far it is not meeting expectations. Of everything I have purchased throughout the years, this Prius is showing its age the soonest.
I don't understand the reliability concerns. My TJ was 14 years old, 14x,000 miles on it. Never gave me a problem and I abused that thing. It needed a front shock once, but I decided to lift it instead. Then it had a bad u-joint once so I replaced them all. The JL is too new for me to say if it's reliable (ask me again in 10 years), but so far it has taken everything I have thrown at it. I have no reason to believe it won't last at least 14 years again.

On the flip side I now daily a 2016 Prius, I bought it because "toyota = reliable" and the Prius is supposed to be the most reliable of the bunch. I'm very disappointed in how the Prius is aging. The interior is not holding up, rattles and gets scuffed if you look at it, and it already looks dated (stupid entune, every time I turn around they're removing features). Exterior paint is very thin and chips easily, also seems to get small dents if a sparrow shits on it. Mechanically it seems I have a left front CV shaft failing as I approach the end of the warranty so that is really disappointing. This Prius is my first non-Chrysler product and so far it is not meeting expectations. Of everything I have purchased throughout the years, this Prius is showing its age the soonest.

And then there’s the WORST thing about driving a Prius.

You’re driving a Prius, and everybody knows it.

¡Bummero Grande!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Meh... I'm way past the point of caring what people think about the vehicle I commute with. I see those people with Corvettes and such, I used to do the same with an SRT8, but it really makes very little sense. When you're doing routine driving, an appliance like the Prius is where it's at. And when I want to tell my boss to take this job and shove it, I'm now fully equipped to drive for Uber. Of course on the days I'm feeling I need to spice up my life a bit I take the JL without the top or doors. I turn up the Alpine and let Old Town Road bump then suddenly I fit right in with the cool kids.
Nah you need this one jammin'!

And yes I do crank this up on the back roads:rock:

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
I feel like I can offer some insight here, but I'll keep it brief.

Since 2011, I've had 2 Tacos, a 2011 pre-runner and a 2012 TRD Off Road, a 2012 FJC TT, a 2013 4runner, and now the JLU, and mine's only a Sport S.

All of the above naturally never had any major, or even minor issues.

The JL, well, it's had a few things that I've had to get taken care of.

My absolute favorite of the bunch? The JL. It's not even close... well, the FJC in Red Hot TT trim was pretty good too, to be fair, but the family hated it for a myriad of legitimate reasons... mostly related to the fact that it's just not great for backseat passengers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wlayne13

wlayne13

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma TRDOR
Thank you all for the replies!
I was surprised at how many people on Tacoma world said go for the Jeep, seems like that’s being echoed over here.
I’ve heard horror stories about Chrysler vehicles, just never owned one. Only Toyota and Chevy. So, that’s the hesitation behind reliability

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
Thank you all for the replies!
I was surprised at how many people on Tacoma world said go for the Jeep, seems like that’s being echoed over here.
I’ve heard horror stories about Chrysler vehicles, just never owned one. Only Toyota and Chevy. So, that’s the hesitation behind reliability
Really? The guys on TW are promoting the jeep?

I mean, if reliability is the A #1 primo concern, get the Toyota. If you want to enjoy your vehicle (more), and have a connection with it as it becomes your own, and be a part of the greatest automotive family ever, get the Jeep.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I have both. 17 TRD Off Road and 19 Sahara. They are very different, but I like them both. Taco is smooth, relaxed and programmed to go nowhere fast. Sahara is much faster (I have the turbo) has a nicer interior and believe it or not more refined haha.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Wow...most Tacoma owners I've encountered are fiercely loyal in spite of significant shortcomings of the Taco. Very surprised :surprised:

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Wow...most Tacoma owners I've encountered are fiercely loyal in spite of significant shortcomings of the Taco. Very surprised :surprised:
This is true. Tacoma does have shortcomings but also huge loyal following. I don't have loyalties as you can tell I have a Jeep and a Tacoma. But there is something about that truck that even with all the crappy things about it, it gets under your skin and it's just feels like it will run forever and you can take it anywhere.

Last year they sold 245,000 units in USA. For reference Ranger is on pace to sell something like 40-50,000 units this year.
Sponsored