Jeep (JLU) won’t start when parked on a hill with low fuel

Topper717

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Our Jeep will not start when parked on a 10 degree slope hill (front end pointing downwards) with a quarter tank of fuel (5 gallons) or less. The engine cranks but will not start because it’s not getting fuel. This 10 degree slope just happens to be our driveway and this issue just recently started happening after using the jeep the past year without issue. FCA advised the dealer this is normal for the JLU because the fuel moves to the front of the fuel tank and the suction for the fuel pump is towards the rear of the fuel tank. They are working on a TSB but to date nothing has been published. The engine will run on a slope but for some reason the fuel pump will not supply gas to the engine during start-up. In my judgement, this is a totally unacceptable condition for a Jeep.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, what was the fix?
Sponsored

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well that doesn’t make any sense. If the fuel pump will keep the engine running on the slope, it has to be picking up fuel right? So why wouldn’t it pick up fuel to start the Jeep?
Also, I’m sure many JLs have seen an even steeper incline with less than 1/4 tank, how did they stay running if this is normal. I call BS.

OP
OP
Topper717

Topper717

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Agreed, Dealer is going to put a new fuel pump and tank to hopefully fix the issue,. Never experienced this before and parked on the same slope many times with low fuel. Thanks for your note.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Our Jeep will not start when parked on a 10 degree slope hill (front end pointing downwards) with a quarter tank of fuel (5 gallons) or less. The engine cranks but will not start because it’s not getting fuel. This 10 degree slope just happens to be our driveway and this issue just recently started happening after using the jeep the past year without issue. FCA advised the dealer this is normal for the JLU because the fuel moves to the front of the fuel tank and the suction for the fuel pump is towards the rear of the fuel tank. They are working on a TSB but to date nothing has been published. The engine will run on a slope but for some reason the fuel pump will not supply gas to the engine during start-up. In my judgement, this is a totally unacceptable condition for a Jeep.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, what was the fix?
Yes, with my Chevrolet Corsica.

When fuel gauge needle hovered near E (similar to what you describe), and with the vehicle parked and facing toward a mild upward slope, the engine would crank but not start. I discovered this condition after breaking my rule of not filling up with 1/2 tank of fuel remaining. Lesson learned.

I determined that the car's fuel pump was located at the front of the fuel tank. Thus, the no-start situation with little fuel remaining shouldn't surprise. It wouldn't have occurred to me to seek resolution via a hoped-for recall, TSB, etc.

The fix was straightforward: not allowing the fuel tank to run too low, as I had just done.

------------

N.B. -- When my JLU's fuel gauge needle is on E, the low fuel light icon will illuminate. A verified 18.x gallons are required to fill the 22 gallon tank. Based on the needle's position, a quarter tank of fuel in the four door Wrangler will be well more than 5 gallons.

If you truly have a 1/4 tank of fuel when your JLU won't start, Keven (again, >5 gallons) that should strengthen your claim here.

OP
OP
Topper717

Topper717

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
The attached picture shows how much fuel was in the tank when the vehicle was winched to a level spot on the driveway, estimated conservatively about 5 gallons although on the slope the gauge shows low fuel. My thinking it's a jeep and should be designed to operate on slopes and that includes starting.

BBD7A56F-D81E-4D2C-B2BD-162EEE9AA806_1_105_c.jpeg

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The attached picture shows how much fuel was in the tank when the vehicle was winched to a level spot on the driveway, estimated conservatively about 5 gallons although on the slope the gauge shows low fuel. My thinking it's a jeep and should be designed to operate on slopes and that includes starting.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep (JLU) won’t start when parked on a hill with low fuel BBD7A56F-D81E-4D2C-B2BD-162EEE9AA806_1_105_c
That's a strong 1/4 tank of fuel. More than 5 gallons, to be sure. :)
Yes, if there's a no-start situation with that much go-juice remaining, when on a non-severe incline/decline, a dealer inquiry is definitely in order. Let us know how this is resolved.

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar issue, but mine will still start. My driveway is sloped and if I back in I will not be able to use remote start because it thinks the tank is almost empty. I can still start my Jeep though. It is frustrating, but I just pull in my driveway or keep my tank fuller than normal. But my issue is anytime I have less than 1/4 tank as well.
Sponsored