Sponsored

Jeep JL Wrangler 3.6L vs 2.0T HP/TQ curve comparison (dyno chart)

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
My guess is eTorque and start stop systems don't play nice with a manual.
Start stop is not an issue with manual because you get plenty of those. eTorque shouldn't be an issue as long as it comes on at the same rpms everytime... it'll be just like the engine having more grunt down low. But an auto can smoothen out most abrupt jerks/surges you might get if it's not a smooth tapering of power between the electric motor and the ic engine.

The real reason might be marketing more than anything. 2L+mild hybrid for those who are penny pinching hipsters and 3.6 for hard core jeepers :bandit:
Sponsored

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
Yea if they add eTorque to the 3.6L I bet they'll drop the manual also

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
Start stop is not an issue with manual because you get plenty of those. eTorque shouldn't be an issue as long as it comes on at the same rpms everytime... it'll be just like the engine having more grunt down low. But an auto can smoothen out most abrupt jerks/surges you might get if it's not a smooth tapering of power between the electric motor and the ic engine.

The real reason might be marketing more than anything. 2L+mild hybrid for those who are penny pinching hipsters and 3.6 for hard core jeepers :bandit:
OR the 2.0 is a better platform in the Wrangler. GASP!

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
Real hipsters wait for the plug in Hybrid :idea:

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yea if they add eTorque to the 3.6L I bet they'll drop the manual also
No, they won't. There is no business case that would make sense where so much was put into developing and testing the manual and then dropping it after one year. My bet is that the BSG works fine with the manual, but if not, they'll continue the current setup with the manual.

@Rockmaninoff is right about the charts. They are basically educated guesses and the JK 3.6 and JL 3.6 PUG are apples to oranges. The primary reasons for the PUG was to make a more usable torque curve and to make it more efficient. I've driven them side by side and back to back, and the new 3.6 PUG is stronger throughout the powerband, especially at lower RPM, where it has 14% more torque. The gearing is superior on the JL's manual transmission, in gears 1-3, and is VASTLY superior in the 8 speed auto, compared to the 5 speed.

Smoke&Oakum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Seriously? I get that people will feel different about the engine choices but this graphic is completely ridiculous and contributes nothing of substance. Maybe that was your intention...
It's to do with numbers. The ratio between the weights is the ratio between the displacements of the 2 vs 3.6.

Basically the 2 turbo is like giving drugs to the little guy to do the work of that (drug free) big guy.

Sponsored

Smoke&Oakum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's to do with numbers. The ratio between the weights is the ratio between the displacements of the 2 vs 3.6.

Basically the 2 turbo is like giving drugs to the little guy to do the work of that (drug free) big guy.
I get what you are trying to say but the connection just isn’t scientific.

Smoke&Oakum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The 2.0 combined with the extra battery is heavier than the 3.6.
What he is saying is the relative size of the two engines compared to the weight of the vehicle overall. The additional weight of the battery would not change the ratio significantly.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
What he is saying is the relative size of the two engines compared to the weight of the vehicle overall. The additional weight of the battery would not change the ratio significantly.
What I'm saying is neither. People's physical strength is classified in weight (e.g. in boxing, etc.).

When comparing the max power, the 2L with a turbo is like a 5'3" guy on drugs doing the job of a 7' guy with a similar build.

We have forgotten just how much these little engines are pushed. Build and build quality can vary but if they put the 2L turbo's build quality in to a larger, naturally aspirated engine, we'd have an immensely more reliable engine.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
What I'm saying is neither. People's physical strength is classified in weight (e.g. in boxing, etc.).

When comparing the max power, the 2L with a turbo is like a 5'3" guy on drugs doing the job of a 7' guy with a similar build.

We have forgotten just how much these little engines are pushed. Build and build quality can vary but if they put the 2L turbo's build quality in to a larger, naturally aspirated engine, we'd have an immensely more reliable engine.
Actually, it's more like getting hit by a linebacker, when you're talking about power. The 3.6L displacement vs the 2.0L displacement is like getting hit by a 140lb linebacker, instead of a 250lb linebacker. But, to the point, you're looking for a lot more power out of a lot less engine.

That said, 2.0L turbos are literally everywhere, and the output is by no means outside the norm. Further, take this as one of the few benefits of Fiat ownership: there's a lot of experience in these engines. Thus, the drug metaphor isn't apt. It's more like a guy who's worked out a lot at 140lb vs a normal dude at 250lb. I certainly wouldn't want to fight somebody that big, but I'd take the normal 250lb guy over Manny Pacquiao...

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I’d think the smaller guy that’s a little stronger could run circles around the big lethargic guy...........just like the 2.0t is faster 0-60 then the 3.6.............
Sponsored