Sponsored

Jeep JL Wrangler 3.6L vs 2.0T HP/TQ curve comparison (dyno chart)

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
I know how turbo motors work, and the higher pressures involved, but honestly you're making it seem like you'll need a new motor at 40,000 miles.
Let time tell how well these engines last.
Not even the manufacturer can tell you how long their engine will last (except maybe toyota but it's a moot point) but WXman's operative two words were "on average".

Higher pressures = more prone to failure
Sponsored

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not even the manufacturer can tell you how long their engine will last (except maybe toyota but it's a moot point) but WXman's operative two words were "on average".

I would imagine, with today’s twin scroll turbos, that your engine would fail due to a non-forced induction cause before the boost would make any real impact. I would be more concerned with electronics related failures stranding me than the engine failing due to boost induced wear.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

As I've said, let time tell how well these engines last. Turbochargers have been around for decades and vehicles designed from the manufacturer to be turbocharged have the same longevity in mind as their naturally aspirated counterparts. Its partly why this motor only has a 270 Hp tune rather than the originally rumored 360 Hp. If you let the turbo just go wide open all the time of course you're going to burn you engine out, but driven under normal circumstances there shouldn't be any reason to think it won't last long.

My company has been making good use of F-150s with EcoBoost engines and the oldest of them has well over 100,000 miles without issue, and it is frequently towing an excavator to various job sites. Now had the foreman just been driving like a maniac all the time and doing burnouts like all these youtubers do with their EcoBoost trucks then yes, the engine would be burned out.

Rubi Blue

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Cherokee, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 2013 Volvo S80, 2017 Yamaha Wolverine, 2002 Kawasaki KLR, 1970 Honda Mini Trail 70
As I continue to do my research, while waiting for my local dealership to get a Blue JLU Rubicon, I came across many discussions about the 3.6 engine vs the 2.0T. There are also some discussion about turbo lag and there were feedbacks from the community comparing their turbo lag experience on the Subaru.

Personally, I have owned number of cars in my life, I had a 2000 Jeep WJ for about 6yrs which I took off road back then (Reason I want to get back to a real Jeep this time), then I had a 2006 STi for 5 yrs traded it for a used 2007 Porsche 997 C4S Cab. I then again traded it in for a BMW 235i XDrive Cab 1.5yrs ago. The BMW is nice & fast, but I think it's too refined for my taste, and doesn't excite me anymore like the other cars.
Comparing the 3 engines, the is laggy and need a sec to spoolup the Turbo. However, the raw surge of TQ pull hard, pure fun.

Here is the Mustang Dyno chart (I went in for a ProTune)
upload_2018-5-11_10-18-22.png

The Porsche engine is NA, so nice a smooth as the RPM climbs, the engine sounds great. Shift the MT down to 4000RPM, then it pull away all the way to 7K.

The BMW, well, TQ is available instantly with almost any RPM with 0 lag. The 9 speed AT is so much faster than my 2 MT when it comes to speed. (my lag of MT skill =P), but I think it's because everything is designed so perfect that I am not excited in just 1.5yrs.

I plug in some engine specs onto excel for the Jeep 3.6L & 2.0T, then the M235i. For the Jeep info, I found them on:
2.0T
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2018/2616695/jeep_wrangler_2-door_sport_2_0_turbo.html
2017 ver. 3.6
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2017/1576565/jeep_wrangler_3_6_v6_sport.html

Here is the Combined comparison excel chart, and I hope it's useful for the Jeep community.
upload_2018-5-11_10-35-23.png
Thanks! Great Info. I have the 3.6 and love it. Am novice and don't see how I'd need/want any more Torque... Thought I'd be the only one with a Blue Rubicon (named her Rubi Blu).... Well at least a Novice with Rubicon and what it can do. Already have paint chips here and there from gravel/mud spray.... but she does clean up nicely.

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
with a slush box the manufacturer has more control over your driving!! a manual is surely more durable + YOU can better use the turbo! every new year it gets worse with more PITA stuff to limit your driving + protect fragile parts!!!

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

Higher pressures like all diesel engines, boosted or not? Those pesky, prone to failure, half million mile work horses?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Higher pressures like all diesel engines, boosted or not? Those pesky, prone to failure, half million mile work horses?
turbo diesels have a higher life expectancy than a turbo gas engine.

Reactions: apb

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It all boils down to who's ass is in the seat. I've run several vehicles, both natural and boosted gas engines, past the half million mile mark before needing to pop the heads and pan for a rebuild.

My diesels ran long enough for the rest of the vehicle to dissolve past the point of retardedly dangerous. My record was with a 1975 mercedes 300d. It was showing its age real bad but ran like a top so I kept going. One day the trunk latch got stuck, so I threw the groceries in the back seat. As soon as I yanked the stuck back door open, the roof buckled all the way across and the car sagged enough that everyone was flashing their brights on my ride home. Next morning it started and ran beautifully all the way to the scale at the scrap yard. Odometer read 1,673,791.

To get back to this thread, its been through personal experience and observation that most of the stigma to forced induction and longevity is due to decades of aftermarket boost going on engines not designed to handle it, and/or morons that can't help themselves from constantly stuffing their right foot into it. All too often, I see vehicles smoking like pigs that are barely a couple years old. Still, that foot keeps stuffing.
Sponsored