Sponsored

Jeep JL w/ Halogen - Why do people call the Fender/Side Markers DRLs?

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have a 2019 2 Door Wrangler with Halogen lights. The "settings" on the light switch seem strange to me, (and have many variations based on a few inputs) and I was hoping one of you experts could tell me what's what.

I recently purchased Bunker Industries 9" LED lights w/ Halo DRL (The difference is amazing. I can't believe how bad the OEM Halogen's are. They really shouldn't even be an option - but that's for another topic.), and the Halo came with a separate wire that most people seem to attach to "the DRL".

I'm previously a VW/Audi owner (never owned a North American car before) and what VW/Audi people call DRL's, seems to be different than what a lot of these LED install video's call DRL. So I'm trying to put together a table here to help myself out.

First question: Why do people call the markers on the fender the DRL's, when clearly the OEM head lights have actual Day Time Running lights built into them? Jeep seems to call them parking lights, but I can't find a condition where they are actually off, unless your handbrake is off.

I would (personally) call the front facing lights on the fenders "Markers", because DRL's are supposed to be running AT ALL TIMES (Except when you have your switch off, with Jeep clearly ignores), and these side markers only actually come on if you switch them on.

Sub topic : I notice a lot of North American cars (specifically Dodge), people drive around with their rear lights off because they actually don't know they are off - because the "OFF" switch on the Jeep actually doesn't turn off the DRL lights or the dash lights, so idiots drive around with their lights off at the rear and don't even know it. On European cars, if your lights are switched off - everything is off. off means off. This isn't the case for my Jeep, along with what people call "DRL's" which is where my confusion lies.

Second Question: Why I would tap "fender/side markers" when I could run them off the same wire that is running the DRL that came with the light?

I see ton's of questions about DRL's on here (and taping into something really isn't my issue). My issue is that these lights have "4 settings". Highbeam, Lowbeam, DRL and Halo. The halo seems to have an "extra wire" that needs to be tapped into wherever you want to. But these lights have actual DRL's in them, so I'm not sure

Third Question: I know- it sounds confusing (this is why I'm here) so, I did some testing. I'll keep adding to this as we go. The only condition that DRL's are "off" and your fender markers are on, is when the handbrake is on. So if people *JUST* want Halo's on, why do they wire them into the fender markers? They would have to drive around with their parking brake on to just see them alone. Make's zero sense.

If I wanted to actually ditch DRL's (or parking lights in this case),

Maybe I'm the one that isn't clear on what DRL's are. But the Fender lights can't be DRL's because they actually don't run all the time but the (Jeep named) "Parking Lights" are always on? I'm so confused.

Help.

Here's a first draft of the table.

Switch PositionOutsideHandbrakeCar Running"Fender Lights""DRL"LightsHighFogs
OffSunnyOffYesOffOnOffOffOff
Parking Lights (First Position)SunnyOffYesOnOnOffOffOff
Headlights (Second Position)SunnyOffYesOnOnOnOffOff
(Auto) Third PositionSunnyOffYesOffOnOffOffOff
OffSunnyOnYesOffOffOffOffOff
Parking Lights (First Position)SunnyOnYesOnOffOffOffOff
Headlights (Second Position)SunnyOnYesOnOnOnOffOff
(Auto) Third PositionSunnyOnYesOffOffOffOffOff
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
footose

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I've also been reading threads on here and HUNDREDS of people claim they have Jeeps without DRL's.

It's literally illegal to NOT have DRL's here in Ontario, Canada - so how could you have a vehicle "without DRL's" ?

This is starting to drive me crazy. Did Jeep "hack" DRL"s and now the these switches don't make sense? How am I first to be bugged by this? lol

Last edited:

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
DRL aren't required in the US. Canada has specific laws about which light and brightness. The DRLs and Halos on mine are always on in any switch position. Parking brake on just halo on switch off since you can't drive with the brake on. US models you can turn off the DRLs.

OP
OP
footose

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
DRL aren't required in the US. Canada has specific laws about which light and brightness. The DRLs and Halos on mine are always on in any switch position. Parking brake on just halo on switch off since you can't drive with the brake on. US models you can turn off the DRLs.
Making more sense now. It's a total hack from Jeep really for Ontario I guess. That's why people drive around with their taillights off.

I think on VW/Audi you can change the switch to a Euro switch here in Canada and it lets you shut off the DRL's. But basically I should be able to wire my Halo's into the DRL's on my vehicle then, because there technically should be a wire for that on my jeep.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
And by taillight do you mean the rear fog light or the actual taillight?

Sponsored

OP
OP
footose

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
And by taillight do you mean the rear fog light or the actual taillight?
The actual taillights..

On my jeep, the "DRL's" are always on, and the dash is "Always on", so people have a tendency not to switch their lights on because they think they are on because everything is lit up. It's a huge problem here in Ontario. Absolutely idiots driving around asking to be rear ended. It's mostly Dodge and GM's

Duluth Diesel

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy’s Sport
I’m confused about “DRLs” on these vehicles as well. Couple things I’m confused about and reading the forums here isn’t helping me. My 2021 JL Willy’s Sport MT with standard halogen lights does not have DRLs as far as I can tell. The fender marker lights are only amber and only seem to serve as marker/parking lights and blinkers. There seems to be no while DRL bulb in there. Am I missing something? Also my headlight switch only has OFF, Park, and On settings. There is no Auto setting. So if I leave my headlight switch to OFF, I have absolutely no lights turned on. I actually want DRLs and feel the add a margin of safety. So far I just turn the switch to the parking lights and turn on the fog lights. That seems to be the only way to have forward facing white lights to act like DRLs during daylight driving.

So why do I not have DRLs on this JL?
Why is there no AUTO setting on my headlight switch?

Thoughts? Any help? Thank you!
Sponsored