Jeep JL Spare tire bumper extension

Beast Willys

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys Unlimited
I searched all over for ideas on how to extend the OEM Spare tire isolation bump stop after adding a Black Rhino Spare tire relocation kit. Hard to believe that the gap issue is not addressed by more manufactures of spare tire relocation kits. Only found one from Smittybuilt that had brackets for the OEM bump stops. I have the Black Rhino relocation kit which extends out 3 in from Factory. Needless to say i need a lot of added length for the bump stop. After seeing some possible ideas I came up with the following. I just happened to have an old vacuum cleaner with the hard plastic extension part available and the diameter fits in the Mopar 68290297AA Spare Tire Bumper for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL perfectly! Now if you don't have that laying around and your wife wont let you take hers from the house vacuum, you can probably get a PVC pipe that fits. Cut to the length that works for your gap and put on one bump stop that you have removed the nub from on one end of pipe and shove other end in to the bump stop on tailgate. I needed 5 inches. You need to get 2 more OEM Mopar bump stops to use from your dealership or online. Make sure once you tighten spare tire down that it is tight against new extended bump stops but not too tight to dent tailgate! See Pics, I hope this helps others save time that it took me to figure this out. Patent pending LOL

20200707_184707.jpg

20200707_190734.jpg

20200707_192724.jpg
Sponsored