Sponsored

Jeep JL Sahara Unlimited - Popping Noise When Starting to Move - 6 spd Manual - 2018

Imagoforarun

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
So, just bought this 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL with 36,000 miles on it. It's a manual. Started to notice that when I would begin to move out of a complete flat stop (that is important) it would make a pop or thud noise. Sometimes it sounds like it's from the front, other times sounds like the back - can't tell. Trying to figure out what it is. Sound is very clear around 18 - 22 seconds in and then again at 33 seconds in. Sound only happens from a flat complete stop. HELP!

Video of noise here -
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
So, just bought this 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL with 36,000 miles on it. It's a manual. Started to notice that when I would begin to move out of a complete flat stop (that is important) it would make a pop or thud noise. Sometimes it sounds like it's from the front, other times sounds like the back - can't tell. Trying to figure out what it is. Sound is very clear around 18 - 22 seconds in and then again at 33 seconds in. Sound only happens from a flat complete stop. HELP!

Video of noise here -
Are you lifted? Tire size? I'd have someone recreate the noise while you are outside the jeep and try and find the location the sound is coming from. It's next to impossible to diagnose based on a random sound in a video. Probably a loose bolt that allows a component to shift when you start moving. Have you checked torque on bolts on trackbar/draglink/tie rod? Next torque control arms and shock bolts. Also, check rear trackbar and sway bar links in front and rear. Test it to see if that fixed it.

If it still makes the noise, check ball joints(they typically make a popping noise at slow speeds when turning). To test, lift both front tires and check for lateral movement. If you have lateral movement, ball joints are likely shot. You can try removing cotter pins and torque the castle nuts to the next slot and put in new cotter pins. If that doesn't help, prob need new ball joints.

If you arent halfway mechanically inclined or dont want to figure it out, take it to a reputable mechanic.(preferably not a dealer unless you have an extended warranty or a good dealer that wont charge a ton to diagnose):beer:

Last edited:

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I’m having a similar issue. What did you find out was causing the issue? What was the fix?

Video of noise here -