Sponsored

Jeep JL Resale

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Jeep resale values have always been fantastic. But it'll be interesting to see what effect the EV / PHEV versions will have on this...
For now the 4xe is great value value if you get the tax credit. And here in NY there are additional incentives. But resale on a 4xe?.. as good as a tried and true V6? But beyond that, until the tax credit runs out, it probably wouldn't make sense for some to buy a 4xe used. And if/when solid state batteries become popular would you spend a lot of money on a used 4xe if the new version gets radically more range...

And, in 5 years from now, if there is a fantastic EV version with solid state batteries, long range, reliability etc. Will the resale for the current generations be as high?

Anyhow, I'll always want the 392, my first jeep was a CJ7 with the 304 and I put on headers and side pipes. The bare metal floors and lack of doors helped with the awesome sound! What can I say, if it were an option, I'd have an old metal key with the AMC logo to start up my modern Jeep..
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That is a question mark, indeed.

Resale values of EVs in general are absolute crap. Hybrids do much better; plug-in hybrids (PHEV) are somewhere between those two. It really depends on the make and model.

Toyota PHEVs hold their value relatively well. Wranglers holds their values very well. But FCA doesn’t really have a reputation with PHEVs, so that is not going to help resale values of 4xe.

OP
OP
Moses212

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Also, the average Prius owner probably doesn't change their own oil or own a compressor.
I'm guessing eventually there'll be after market Jeep battery packs that can be changed out..

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
People always say resale is fantastic, but my TJ depreciated like any other car would.
I bought my 2004 TJ Sport special order back when they had dealer and Chrysler incentives for $18,750. Dana 44 rear and straight 6 w/ AC, cruise, etc, etc.

I sold it last month. 17 years later and 160K MIles. $13,000

The time to sell an old(er) car is NOW

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I sold a 5 year old Hard Rock for over 50% of what I had into it ($7K of mods on top of the JK itself). Don't let anyone fool you, the resale value of modifications are very little unless a totally like-minded individual shows up. Not counting the mods, the resale value was 70% of what I paid.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
People always say resale is fantastic, but my TJ depreciated like any other car would.
You’ve made it clear you sold your TJ before the warranty ended so I’m not sure how a sale in 1999-2000 is relevant.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Booked mine out yesterday. It’s worth $5k more than I paid new a year ago and $500 more than the original sticker price. Absolutely crazy. I won’t sell it though.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Booked mine out yesterday. It’s worth $5k more than I paid new a year ago and $500 more than the original sticker price. Absolutely crazy. I won’t sell it though.
I've seen these kinds of valuations as well. Why wouldn't someone simply buy a new Jeep? Yes, there is a microchip shortage, but production is still going.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I've seen these kinds of valuations as well. Why wouldn't someone simply buy a new Jeep? Yes, there is a microchip shortage, but production is still going.
For 5k more I'd consider it for sure. It's really just how much you value your time in going back into the buying process, I guess.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

IdahoSting

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
VROOM, just picked up my 2019 Rubicon which I ordered in September of 2018 for 50k including tax and paid $53130. It had 12k on it, but I am planning to re-order a 2022 when the order bank opens and get a different color and a couple more options.
Sponsored