Jeep JL Headlight Adjustment - How To Aim Headlights After Lift or Replacement

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
If you lifted your Jeep, do this. Don't blind everyone.
Thanks for the video! I was getting flashed in my stock JL Sport S, so I read in another post here that turning the adjuster CC brings the beam down, so I turned it 1.5 turns CC. Still got flashed. Turned it another turn. Still getting flashed...
In your video @ 2:30, it's mentioned that turning the adjuster CW brings the beam down...
Due to the oncoming flashing I'm getting after turning them 2.5 turns total CC, I'm guessing that's wrong and need to go the other way, CW.
I'll have to try your tape on the garage door trick.
Thanks!.
-----------

@RogueKJ

To adjust:

When you adjust, have your headlamps on LOW beam, not bright beam.

Looking down at the adjuster's, you turn them clockwise (turn to the right) to go UP and counter clockwise (turn to the left) to go DOWN.

This would be the opposite if I'm understanding it correctly.
Sponsored

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
I was getting flashed in my stock JL Sport S, so I read in another post here that turning the adjuster CC brings the beam down, so I turned it 1.5 turns CC. Still got flashed. Turned it another turn. Still getting flashed...
In your video @ 2:30, it's mentioned that turning the adjuster CW brings the beam down...
Due to the oncoming flashing I'm getting after turning them 2.5 turns total CC, I'm guessing that's wrong and need to go the other way, CW.
Just a follow-up. I turned them 2.5 turns CW back to "stock", then 1 1/2 turns CW. Haven't been flashed once since...

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Just a follow-up. I turned them 2.5 turns CW back to "stock", then 1 1/2 turns CW. Haven't been flashed once since...
Thats great. Glad it worked out. I dont think I mentioned how many turns. It would depend on your lift, tires, weight of bumpers and such to determine how much you need to turn it. You need to get the mark on the wall and measure it at 3' from 25' back.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Thats great. Glad it worked out. I dont think I mentioned how many turns. It would depend on your lift, tires, weight of bumpers and such to determine how much you need to turn it. You need to get the mark on the wall and measure it at 3' from 25' back.
Assuming everyone's JL is 'level' after lifts, tires, etc ... a certain number of turns should lower the beam a certain number of inches (at 25' from a wall).

I don't feel like figuring out that ratio now that mine are already adjusted. So, I'm just throwing this out there for the next person who adjusts their beams. It might save others time to know that, for instance, 2.5 turns results in lowering the beam 4" (fictional example). With that info, they should be able to set their beams to the right height just based on knowing their extra height from their lift & tire.

Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
@RogueKJ
... Do know that your fog lights also can also be adjusted as needed. Each fog light has an adjuster.
where is the adjuster for the LED fog lights? there is no access opening in my JLUS plastic bumper. i mostly removed the plastic shield behind the bumper that covers the fog lights, and looking in through the opening it's not obvious there is an adjustment point. it would be nice to know what I'm looking for before i take everything apart. thanks

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

where is the adjuster for the LED fog lights? there is no access opening in my JLUS plastic bumper. i mostly removed the plastic shield behind the bumper that covers the fog lights, and looking in through the opening it's not obvious there is an adjustment point. it would be nice to know what I'm looking for before i take everything apart. thanks
There is a dial you turn. You can see it in this video when I installed my steel bumper. The light wouldn't fit until I turned the dial. The plastic bumper is a pain to access the fog lights. You need to take it all part to get to them. I also dont have LED fogs, so it might be slightly different.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara

There is a dial you turn. You can see it in this video when I installed my steel bumper. The light wouldn't fit until I turned the dial. The plastic bumper is a pain to access the fog lights. You need to take it all part to get to them. I also dont have LED fogs, so it might be slightly different.
thanks for linking the video, appreciate it!
I see the adjuster you're talking about. the back of my LED lights look a little different but i think I do see a little wheel. but now I'm thinking if I'm gonna do all that work, i might as well install a steel bumper too :)

toddbrosen

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport
Is the process the same for the 2020 JL Sport without the led package? I cannot find the screws to lower the headlights for the life of me. I'm thinking if no Led package, maybe the screws aren;t there?

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Is the process the same for the 2020 JL Sport without the led package? I cannot find the screws to lower the headlights for the life of me. I'm thinking if no Led package, maybe the screws aren;t there?
Screws should be in the same spot on the 2020 JL Sport as on my 2018 JL Sport. They are off-white in color. The screws are made to accommodate either a hex wrench (not sure of size) OR a phillips screwdriver.

Hdlt Adjust Screw 2.jpg
Hdlt Adjust Screw.jpg

Sponsored

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
So, no left and right adjustment ? Mine seem to be joining in the center. Would like to get drivers side to the right a bit.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
So, no left and right adjustment ? Mine seem to be joining in the center. Would like to get drivers side to the right a bit.
I could be wrong, but I think the only way to move them left and right is if you take the grill off and mess with the screws that are holding in the lights. I think Jeep only wants people adjusting up and down.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

If you lifted your Jeep, do this. Don't blind everyone.

I had my factory LED installed by the dealer a few weeks ago. I've been getting flashed by oncoming vehicles as though I had my high beams on. I did the 25'/3' test and sure enough I'm about 4' on the wall.

I tried to adjust using the white screw wheel but nothing happens the beam won't go up or down. Same result when I tried adjusting both lights.

I'm very certain I have the screwdriver in correctly as I can see the white wheel turning also.

Am I not doing something correctly ? Solutions?
Sponsored

Last edited: