Jeep JL Exhaust options - 3.6L

white.jl.rubicon

First Name
Cullen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hey all just wanted to offer my thoughts on exhaust setups for JL's. Specifically for 3.6L's. I am running a Dynomax muffler delete at the moment. Quick $100 option that can be "ricey" sometimes but offers you a different sound. Obviously, you'll never get that wonderful throaty sound of a V8 but a little something that let's you have some fun with a smile on your face when you get on it. I made a comparison video. Let me know what y'all have or are going with!

Sponsored

JW12

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Financial Services
I have the Dynomax muffler delete installed on my Jeep as well and have mixed feelings about it. There is quite a bit of drone and it does sound ricey at times like you said. I do have a 2-door, so I'm a little closer to it which could make the drone a little more noticeable. For the money, it does sound decent, but I think I'm going to swap it for something else. Just not sure what. Very good video. Well done.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Muffler delete sounds the crappiest out of most exhaust mods people do. Even a lawnmower can be made loud so it's not an achievement.

Induction sound with an aftermarket intake is far better.

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've had the Borla climber on since March of last year. I like it - it doesn't drone and gets rid of the low hanging fruit in the back. It's a little pricey compared to Pypes and doesn't replace the rubber exhaust hangers. I believe it uses the s-type muffler (the touring muffler wasn't available when I purchased) but I don't find it to be unreasonably loud.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I tried some bolt-on mufflers. One forum member had the same setup without issue but mine would drone. Nice tone (not loud) but the droning drove me nuts. So I went to a local muffler shop and they put on an off-brand performance muffler but it still had a slight drone. So we added a cherry bomb in front of the axle as a secondary resonator which fixed the drone. The exhaust is only slightly louder than stock but once you put your foot into it, definitely a loud but not extreme tone. Plus the local shop did all this for around $250 total on both tries.

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I tried some bolt-on mufflers. One forum member had the same setup without issue but mine would drone. Nice tone (not loud) but the droning drove me nuts. So I went to a local muffler shop and they put on an off-brand performance muffler but it still had a slight drone. So we added a cherry bomb in front of the axle as a secondary resonator which fixed the drone. The exhaust is only slightly louder than stock but once you put your foot into it, definitely a loud but not extreme tone. Plus the local shop did all this for around $250 total on both tries.
This is similar to what I did to my 2dr Rubi 2018 2 1/2 years ago and still sounds good

4F25EE44-51AB-47E9-850D-F23374B3B5C8.jpeg

7AD3D7E4-9F5F-48CC-A4A7-872B11942F49.jpeg

Kioti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Has anyone tried the savvy exhaust?
It’s a little pricey but I hear it sounds good plus you gain 3 inches of clearance in the rear.

I think I’m going to try muffler delete with a 2nd resonator first. Some others have had good luck with this plus it’s inexpensive!

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
Has anyone tried the savvy exhaust?
It’s a little pricey but I hear it sounds good plus you gain 3 inches of clearance in the rear.

I think I’m going to try muffler delete with a 2nd resonator first. Some others have had good luck with this plus it’s inexpensive!
I like what I have heard so far about the Savvy, and the price is fair. I went to order, and they quoted me $100 additional for the shipping, which left a bad taste in my mouth with that business so I pulled out from ordering it. :puke:
Sponsored