No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Unhook the tow bar, pull the plates, remove your personal contents. Wait a few days then report it stolen. Start shopping for a new Jeep.
Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
They're on here right now with Jeep Cares trying to get it covered under warranty
The only way that should be covered under warranty is if the transfer-case somehow shifted itself into gear, which is entirely possible if the linkage was defective.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Listen, all i need to know is exactly how they accomplished such an amazing feat. Wifey said i can do a Hemi upgrade when the time comes. But not while it is currently in perfect working order. Any help directing me to the Owner would be greatly appreciated!

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Lol , no way thats a Jeep warranty issue. Customer Pay ! All the way.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
You have that exactly backwards, low range first gear gives the tires minimum mechanical advantage, if the road surface was wet theres a good chance they wouldn’t have turned at all.
100% Correct. Which is why if you’ve ever pull started a manual or bump started one coasting down hill you have it the highest gear not ! The lowest gear because the tires skid and try and stop you.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Man, I’ve never even flat towed my jeep and I know- transfer case in neutral, jeep in 5th or 6th gear (manual transmission). Not that I have to worry about it because I don’t flat tow.

I would imagine that this person tried to put it in neutral from 4-Lo and didn’t complete the transfer, or tried to put it in neutral from 4-Hi and went too far... or they just forgot altogether? Who knows. Expensive mistake.
I have never flat towed but I would have assumed in a manual to leave it out of gear and just in neutral. Learn something everyday on this forum.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
That video is pretty awesome.

I’m coming up with 56.5krpm at the engine at 70 mph for stock rubicon. Very impressive.

Maybe I missed something? 33 tire is 630 revs per mile = 735 rpm x 77 crawl ratio?
Glad to see I wasn't the only one that did the math.
617 revs per mile (stock tire size) x 4.1 revs of driveshaft x 4.0 revs of trans output X 5.13 ratio of 1st gear.

At 60 MPH
2529.7 rpm of drive shaft
10118.8 RPM of trans output
51909.4 RPM of Trans input/Engine

My question is did the rods beat the block out or did the torque of the transmission break it loose.

Either way would have been an impressive sight as it happened

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Here's another one, the e-brake was left on. It was drug for miles, you can see the wheel but the rotors, A-arms, linkage everything under there was ground down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL destruction from flat tow in 4Lo and 1st gear! Make sure transfer case is in neutral! 20201020_114956

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I flat towed my JK and now my JLUM. Recently we took the Mirimar to Galveston and back with our Jeep toad. Even now after doing it many times over many years I am still fearful enough about OP situation that I go over the flat tow setup several times. I actually have a card to create a checklist for our new RV as we did for the last few.

Note: you cannot backup a toad while connected to your tow bar setup. :) Unless you go perfectly straight. Luckily my Falcon2 setup is easy to connect/disconnect w Mopar flat tow harness.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL destruction from flat tow in 4Lo and 1st gear! Make sure transfer case is in neutral! 1616438481751

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL destruction from flat tow in 4Lo and 1st gear! Make sure transfer case is in neutral! 1616438525221

Sponsored

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Jeep will not cover that damage under the limited warranty, nor should they. This is why we have insurance.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL destruction from flat tow in 4Lo and 1st gear! Make sure transfer case is in neutral! 1616438852313

the remaining steps...
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL destruction from flat tow in 4Lo and 1st gear! Make sure transfer case is in neutral! 1616439000213

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I can get a good look at a valvetrain by towing in 4Lo but I’d rather take my mechanics word for it.

• Haha
Reactions: eck

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I flat towed my JK and now my JLUM. Recently we took the Mirimar to Galveston and back with our Jeep toad. Even now after doing it many times over many years I am still fearful enough about OP situation that I go over the flat tow setup several times. I actually have a card to create a checklist for our new RV as we did for the last few.

Note: you cannot backup a toad while connected to your tow bar setup. :) Unless you go perfectly straight. Luckily my Falcon2 setup is easy to connect/disconnect w Mopar flat tow harness.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL destruction from flat tow in 4Lo and 1st gear! Make sure transfer case is in neutral! 1616439000213

My 2 door fits on a tow dolly...not sure why it's 'not allowed' when there are 2 ways to disconnect the axle.
Sponsored