Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
@Notorious
A. Not knowingly :) I try not to talk about things I don't know about ... that's what ears are for ... LOL
B. LOL
C. :giggle:
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I was eating noodles for lunch and when I read this on the drive and I literally laughed so much I got noodles coming outta my nose.

I am a noob when it comes to vehicle but heck I would do enough research before doing stupid $hit like that!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Look at their engine!! Look like a relic that came out from some Aliens movie!!! Hahaha.

message-editor_1615869694240-20210316-jeepwranglertowingsubhero3.jpg

P.S: Noodles from my nose! No I am not eating that!

20210316_135258.jpg
Gross, now I'll never eat noodles again.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
What was the sequence of events here? The transmission exploded and took a chunk of the engine with it? Or vice-versa?
I'd imagine it had to be the engine that went. The engine block is cast iron. I doubt a transmission shattering could do that kind of damage to an engine.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
:idea: Dat SOUNDS like something you would do, Mike!!! The execution is way too perfect - from the stereo cranking to solving the oil problem!! C'mon admit it, you have been thinking about this for a while!! (I feel bad for your awesome wife!! :giggle:)
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL destruction from flat tow in 4Lo and 1st gear! Make sure transfer case is in neutral! tenor (23)

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'd imagine it had to be the engine that went. The engine block is cast iron. I doubt a transmission shattering could do that kind of damage to an engine.
I thought the 3.6 was aluminum block.

Sponsored

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Looks sort of like the torque converter was first to go. High RPM with no lube and lots of mass. Even if all is balanced, there is possibly slight imbalance when you connect it to the flywheel plate - not balanced after assembly. My guess.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Everyone keeps comparing it to trying to tow a vehicle with the parking brake on or in park. This is literally the exact opposite. Engine compression is the only resistance to rolling when the vehicle is in gear. Being in lo range and 1st gear gives the tires the maximum mechanical advantage to overcome said compression. Up until the point that it was spinning at ridiculous rpms, they literally put it in the easiest to get rolling/tow in gear. Flat spots on tires? Nope, they minimized the rolling resistance. Damage to the difs or drivelines? Absolutely not, to them 70mph is the same whether that speed comes from the engine, the tow vehicle, or simply rolling down a hill. The engine/trans saw massive rpms and exploded as a result.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the 3.6 was aluminum block.
You could be right Vince. I’m not sure. It still to me looks like the engine took out everything around it.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Looks sort of like the torque converter was first to go. High RPM with no lube and lots of mass. Even if all is balanced, there is possibly slight imbalance when you connect it to the flywheel plate - not balanced after assembly. My guess.
I think it was a manual trans in 1st gear and 4 low. No torque converter on those.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
You could be right Vince. I’m not sure. It still to me looks like the engine took out everything around it.
I agree with you on the engine giving up first. The tranny and transfer case only has rotating components while the engine has reciprocating parts that could never handle the high RPM’s

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
When I was in the tuner world, we'd see a post like this, send our condolences, and ask one question.
"Part out?"
That being said if anyone sees the Rubicon hood come up for sale let me know. 😅

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Everyone keeps comparing it to trying to tow a vehicle with the parking brake on or in park. This is literally the exact opposite. Engine compression is the only resistance to rolling when the vehicle is in gear. Being in lo range and 1st gear gives the tires the maximum mechanical advantage to overcome said compression. Up until the point that it was spinning at ridiculous rpms, they literally put it in the easiest to get rolling/tow in gear. Flat spots on tires? Nope, they minimized the rolling resistance. Damage to the difs or drivelines? Absolutely not, to them 70mph is the same whether that speed comes from the engine, the tow vehicle, or simply rolling down a hill. The engine/trans saw massive rpms and exploded as a result.
You have that exactly backwards, low range first gear gives the tires minimum mechanical advantage, if the road surface was wet theres a good chance they wouldn’t have turned at all.
Sponsored