First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Will their insurance cover damages from all those pieces being spewed on the highway, and causing accidents / damage ?
Yes, that they will cover, but I seriously doubt they will cover the damage to the Jeep. Insurance does cover stupidity, but even that has its limitations.

It is most likely that the pieces of shrapnel (literally shrapnel because it surely went off like a bomb) have gone through the body itself in various places. The downstream damage would be horrendous. At 45,000 to 50,000 RPM as one estimate here put it, that drive train did not go quietly into the night ... LOL

All in all, pretty good advertisement for Dana though that their rear ends didn't explode.

You would have thought the driver would have felt that the tow was exceptionally hard to begin with. I'm sure he/she heard it when it went though !!!
Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Was it someone on this forum?
Definitely not.

The use of this forum, any forum for that matter, requires the basic skills of reading and reading comprehension. It is abundantly clear the owner of the subject vehicle does not posses either of those skills ... among several others.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Definitely not.
I’ve come across plenty of posts on this forum offering bad advice and incorrect information.

Do we assume that the owner meant to put the transfer case and transmission into neutral but somehow missed? Seems like an expensive rookie mistake.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Oh, it most certainly did. Wife wouldn't let him order a 392, because "you already have a Rubicon Wrangler". So he hooked it up, cranked the stereo, and leaned into it until it was pulling easy and enough miles had been munched for him to not have to deal with the oil mess. Lol!
now clark

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I was eating noodles for lunch and when I read this on the drive and I literally laughed so much I got noodles coming outta my nose.

I am a noob when it comes to vehicle but heck I would do enough research before doing stupid $hit like that!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Look at their engine!! Look like a relic that came out from some Aliens movie!!! Hahaha.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL destruction from flat tow in 4Lo and 1st gear! Make sure transfer case is in neutral! message-editor_1615869694240-20210316-jeepwranglertowingsubhero3

P.S: Noodles from my nose! No I am not eating that!

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL destruction from flat tow in 4Lo and 1st gear! Make sure transfer case is in neutral! 20210316_135258

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Something to do with one should not be driving a Mercedes SUV though a 12 inch deep river.
Was the Mercedes intentionally driven through the water? If so, I could see an argument to deny warranty, same thing if the Rubicon owner thought “WTF, I need a new Jeep so I’ll intentionally destroy mine”
But it sounds like the tow was accidental in which case insurance should cover the damages.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I've been flat towing SUV's & now my new JL behind motorhomes for over 20 years. It is very easy to make a mistake...knock wood I haven't made one yet. This one seems odd to me. Jeeps instructions are to put trans in N & turn off engine. Then shift TC to N & restart engine & put trans in dr/rev to double check for no movement. Lastly trans goes to park and one can clearly see position of TC shifter on dash screen. This person seems to have had the trans & TC both positioned WRONG. I don't care how much power you have under foot in a DP this would have been difficult to pull away from a dead stop with the Jeep locked up like this.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
This person seems to have had the trans & TC both positioned WRONG. I don't care how much power you have under foot in a DP this would have been difficult to pull away from a dead stop with the Jeep locked up like this.
I agree. I'd like to see the flat spots on all the tires if this truly happened. I don't doubt the power of diesel pushers but this would be pulling locked up tires and dead weight from a stop. I don't think there would be enough traction to get the motor to turn over if locked in 4lo from a dead stop. I could be wrong though.
My folks had a 45 footer and would flat tow my dad's Duramax around the country. Before flat towing the truck, they towed a Camry. One time it had a front blow out and they never new it until another car pulled up alongside and flagged them over. The damage on the Camry was pretty gnarly and required all new front suspension components.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Mine is a 44' weighs 40,000 and is amply powered. I mistakenly left the park brake on after hooking up my last toad one time (2014 Ford Edge). Everything else was correct. When I tried to pull away coach could hardly move. I realized what I had done & stopped right away & returned to the toad. It would take more power than my coach has to take off dragging a 5000 Wrangler in park.

coach and Jeep.jpg

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Mine is a 44' weighs 40,000 and is amply powered. I mistakenly left the park brake on after hooking up my last toad one time (2014 Ford Edge). Everything else was correct. When I tried to pull away coach could hardly move. I realized what I had done & stopped right away & returned to the toad. It would take more power than my coach has to take off dragging a 5000 Wrangler in park.

coach and Jeep.jpg
If an inexperienced driver was flat towing for the first time they could very well of thought the extra drag was normal. And like I said, that damage would have been caused very, very early in the tow, like probably bu the time the rig got up to 30-40 mph it was already in pieces.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I’ve come across plenty of posts on this forum offering bad advice and incorrect information.

Do we assume that the owner meant to put the transfer case and transmission into neutral but somehow missed? Seems like an expensive rookie mistake.
I just want to clarify something here. You're quoting part of my post and citing bad advice. Should I take that to mean you are accusing me of giving bad advice and inaccurate information?

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Oh, it most certainly did. Wife wouldn't let him order a 392, because "you already have a Rubicon Wrangler". So he hooked it up, cranked the stereo, and leaned into it until it was pulling easy and enough miles had been munched for him to not have to deal with the oil mess. Lol!
:idea: Dat SOUNDS like something you would do, Mike!!! The execution is way too perfect - from the stereo cranking to solving the oil problem!! C'mon admit it, you have been thinking about this for a while!! (I feel bad for your awesome wife!! :giggle:)

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Should I take that to mean you are accusing me of giving bad advice and inaccurate information?
No. My post was never a jab towards you. From what I have seen you post, it’s usually good. But since you ask, have you? :movember:

You said
The use of this forum, any forum for that matter, requires the basic skills of reading and reading comprehension.
Should I take you asking me as irony? :CWL:
It is abundantly clear the owner of the subject vehicle does not posses either of those skills ... among several others.
I agree. But I can also think of a few forum members who are just as guilty of the above.

Last edited:

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Yep, time to sell the RV that was towing it and send the full amount to Robbie at MoTech.
Robbie did my JKU LS conversion a few years ago. Great guy.
Sponsored