Jeep JL Credit it Deserves!

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I’ve said many times. Most will be shocked at what a plain stock Sport will do.
We had a wicked snowfall last year, even for life at 4000 ft. Lifted Ram truck owners were asking if I could drive them to the store …
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
5EE24D4A-1C24-4521-AF13-768C8C76C093.jpeg

Really shocked how a vehicle that can do this stock and drive on road so beautifully isn’t talked about more on social media and car reviewers on YouTube.
Wranglers are all over YouTube, and have been for years now.

Depending on how strictly (or not) we define "reviewer", there's no shortage of folks offering their two virtual cents on the matter.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yes. I think the Bronco is a close second best, but it's still second.
Unpopular opinion: I welcome the bronco. I’m genuinely excited to see them out in the wild and I can’t wait to see one off road. I will wave at them, trail ride with them, and talk shit along the way. They’re not the vehicle for me, but they will absolutely be the better choice for a lot of current Jeep owners.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Yeah, they nailed it with the JL. It's the new TJ. Great manners on and offroad. Glad Ford botched the Brinco launch. I was ready to switch to something different, but have been impressed with the JLUR on difficult trails in Moab, Colorado and Wyoming.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The two biggest needs to upgrade for most Sport owners are a set of LED lights and a great set of AT tires (if you didn’t get those things when you bought it).

I have gotten through some situations that I am amazed with just those …
No "Need" for LED lights. Just get some upgraded Halogen bulbs, and the problem is solved. This way, you save about $1000 dollars, no chance at flickering bulbs, and no issues driving in snow.
Now, good tires are almost a must. The factory ones suck, offroad, unless they are the takeoffs, BFG KO's, from a Rubicon.
I did both, on my Sport S, and couldnt be happier.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Unpopular opinion: I welcome the bronco. I’m genuinely excited to see them out in the wild and I can’t wait to see one off road. I will wave at them, trail ride with them, and talk shit along the way. They’re not the vehicle for me, but they will absolutely be the better choice for a lot of current Jeep owners.
That's a rational statement that I agree with. Can't unequivocally say if its the vehicle for me yet until I drive one. It's like people dismissing all Wranglers as driving poorly without driving the JL Wrangler and Wrangler owners automatically dismissing the Bronco without even seeing one in person.

I think you might need to rethink your ordering after checking out South Korea's answer to the jeep. :LOL:

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/09/2...ing-we-know-about-koreas-jeep-wrangler-rival/
That looks more like a Bronco sport than a Wrangler. Can't say I'm a fan of that design at all but I welcome more competition in off road capable vehicles with removable tops. I'm not a brand loyal die hard at all.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
5EE24D4A-1C24-4521-AF13-768C8C76C093.jpeg

Really shocked how a vehicle that can do this stock and drive on road so beautifully isn’t talked about more on social media and car reviewers on YouTube. The Jeep JL to me is just remarkable! Your Thoughts?
100% :)

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No "Need" for LED lights. Just get some upgraded Halogen bulbs, and the problem is solved. This way, you save about $1000 dollars, no chance at flickering bulbs, and no issues driving in snow.
Now, good tires are almost a must. The factory ones suck, offroad, unless they are the takeoffs, BFG KO's, from a Rubicon.
I did both, on my Sport S, and couldnt be happier.
Living here in Michigan we have some tough winters - haven't heard or experienced any issues of flickering lights or driving in the snow. The factory LEDs are fine and in fact put out great visibility.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

That's a rational statement that I agree with. Can't unequivocally say if its the vehicle for me yet until I drive one. It's like people dismissing all Wranglers as driving poorly without driving the JL Wrangler and Wrangler owners automatically dismissing the Bronco without even seeing one in person.

That looks more like a Bronco sport than a Wrangler. Can't say I'm a fan of that design at all but I welcome more competition in off road capable vehicles with removable tops. I'm not a brand loyal die hard at all.
I had the chance to drive one at my small town Ford dealership. It’s way closer to the experience of driving my F-150 than my Jeep. It lacks something intangible for me. And the IFS was a non starter already.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Living here in Michigan we have some tough winters - haven't heard or experienced any issues of flickering lights or driving in the snow. The factory LEDs are fine and in fact put out great visibility.
I was replying to @LarryB 's comment on upgrading a Sport, with LED lights. There are problems when you which from Halogen to LED, as many here have seen. It can be done, but it is expensive, and time consuming, if done correctly.
As for driving in snow, the LED lights dont produce enough heat to melt the snow that accumulates around the lights. Halogen does.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As for driving in snow, the LED lights dont produce enough heat to melt the snow that accumulates around the lights. Halogen does.
No issues with Jeep LED's in Michigan where we get plenty of snow driving time. I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, and last year never once had a problem even through the snow storms. I can understand your point in really heavy storms, but even my '06 F250 had slush sticking to the headlamps. All in all it really isn't a big game changer.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have found that my wife and I can be considered enigmas and we both relish in it. She drives a tuned WRX STI and I drive the JLU. Her car is raucous, unrefined, bouncy, loud, and requires the drivers attention 100% of the time, and we absolutely LOVE it. My JLU is lifted, modified, M/T tires, a bit bouncy in relation to the vanilla bland masses and we LOVE it as well. Still have to pay attention and be engaged. We both HATE all the electronannies on modern cars. Funny though, we all bitch about vehicle prices but we are the nitwits that demand all that driver assist crap which is where a good portion of money is tied up. Like others have said, I can take my Rubi places 95% of vehicles cannot and when I'm done, mosey down the freeway at speed without issue. Out of the box the JLU is fantastic, but what fun is it to have stock vehicles?? We are both in our 40's and smiles per mile far outweigh all the other metrics. I think for us, it's fair to say we will always own off beat vehicles one of which will be a Wrangler. I guess when we get older and frail, I'll have to attach a step stool to a rope so I can get in and out of the Jeep. All that said, I sure hope they come out with unrefined electric vehicles. We are going to miss the N/A rude vehicles of yesteryear.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I was replying to @LarryB 's comment on upgrading a Sport, with LED lights. There are problems when you which from Halogen to LED, as many here have seen. It can be done, but it is expensive, and time consuming, if done correctly.
Dalton - It depends on what unit you switch to. I went with the Oracle Oculus, and it was quite easy. As for the snow, I haven’t found it to be a huge problem so far during snowy trips to the mountain. However, we don’t tend to have the heavy, damp type of snow that many get.
Sponsored