Sponsored

Jeep JL Car Play Project.

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
I have a cplay2air device that I bought when I had my 4runner and switched it over to the JLUR once I picked that up. I love it, but I would never run it behind the console because with both the 4runner *and* the jeep it will occasionally freak out and never connect to my phone and the only way to fix it (aside from turning off the vehicle, getting out, waiting 5-15 minutes and getting back in) is to unplug it and plug it back in.
I have had to unplug mine and plug it back in a couple times as well. If I were to undertake this project in the future I'd probably set it up exactly the same as pictured except use some double stick tape and put the CarLinkIt somewhere accessible. Like on the left side of the dash area, near where my right leg would be.
Sponsored

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Shouldn’t you be able to tie in to the media port hub but use a long usb cable and run hidden to the center console?

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Shouldn’t you be able to tie in to the media port hub but use a long usb cable and run hidden to the center console?
Curious if this would work. Mine runs great when it's connect but like others there is an issue at times and I have to unplug/replug. Would be awesome if this worked.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Curious if this would work. Mine runs great when it's connect but like others there is an issue at times and I have to unplug/replug. Would be awesome if this worked.
When I used the counsel usb, I had lots of annoying issues. So I moved to the media hub and the wireless worked much better, but not perfect. The need to easily disconnect and reconnect is important for me.

Reactions: AMT

Sponsored

C_Rat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport
I followed these instructions and they worked great! Very easy and well written, and the pictures were a huge help! I also bought a course mount wireless charger and use it in conjunction with the wireless car play which is awesome!

I have a couple of questions on the setup:
1. I pulled the dash apart after a few days of the Wireless CarPlay and noticed the red light on it seems to always be illuminated. Which seems to indicate there is some level of constant draw on it. Anyone have issues with this killing their battery after a few days of the car sitting or possibly a week or so? I sometimes leave the Jeep at the airport and would hate to come back to a dead battery after a week.
2. Is there an easy way to switch between phones? Sometimes I’m driving and want my phone to lead the CarPlay but other times I’m in the back with my son and my wife is driving, and of-course would prefer CarPlay to work to her phone.

Here’s a pic of my wireless charger setup. With my iPhone 12 on it, it does indeed visibility of the top right corner, but if I need it, I just slightly rotate the phone and it’s fine. However for 99% of my use, I leave it up right and it’s great.
ACD4A14A-88B8-4748-956B-0A208AD69CEE.jpeg
Ever get an answer to question #1? I was wondering the same as to the constant draw and draining the battery.

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I can answer that question at least for my year of Jeep which is the 2018 and with the features it has installed. It may be different for other models or models with different packages. My vehicle detects the key as I approach and get in. When it does detect the key it seems to power up the connection to the usb port. If I go out to my Jeep without the key, after it’s been shut off for a bit, there is no power and my car play has no lights.

Sadly though and on a side note, I no longer have my Jeep to be able to test this further. It was passed on to create a new member of this wonderful Jeep community. May whoever owns find much joy.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Sadly though and on a side note, I no longer have my Jeep to be able to test this further. It was passed on to create a new member of this wonderful Jeep community. May whoever owns find much joy.
Thank you for your contributions. I made this mod almost 3 years ago and I still love it.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a CarLinkit CarPlay adapter plugged into the USB in the center console. No substantive issues. Every now and then it fails to connect and there is the one second lag when switching tracks.
@jthoms1

I have a CarLinkit CarPlay Adapter 4, and I'm having trouble using it in the console. It's slow to start, and drops out after a few minutes.

I'm glad yours works....do you have other devices paired to the carline when you installed it?

I've tried with and without a USB-adapter in the console.

DaveL
Toronto

Sponsored

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@jthoms1

I have a CarLinkit CarPlay Adapter 4, and I'm having trouble using it in the console. It's slow to start, and drops out after a few minutes.

I'm glad yours works....do you have other devices paired to the carline when you installed it?

I've tried with and without a USB-adapter in the console.

DaveL
Toronto
I do not. I have the Carlinkit 3 though. I just ordered my son one for his 2018 JLUS. I’ll let you know if we have any issues with it. I just have the Linkit plugged straight into the console USB. I recognize you just can't get it to work consistently. Does the "connecting" screen show up and just never connect?

For everyone else, it all depends what you’re willing to put up with sometimes it connects almost instantly, other times it could take a minute and others it may never connect. I would say it works as expected 90% of the time. I also can’t recall if I mentioned this in my previous post, but there’s about a second delay when skipping tracks in music apps.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I rushed when I installed it.

Jeep is a 2022. Had 2 phones paired. Both iPhones. Installed the Canlinkit 4 and it worked at first. Then started shutting down during drives.

DaveL

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Having an issue with mine when I use google maps.. The screen will start to lag behind like crazy; the touch screen inputs will be super delayed too. If I navigate away from google maps then the screen lag goes away. Anyone had this happen?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Having an issue with mine when I use google maps.. The screen will start to lag behind like crazy; the touch screen inputs will be super delayed too. If I navigate away from google maps then the screen lag goes away. Anyone had this happen?
Consider taking it in to the dealership. They'll obviously blame Google maps, but hopefully they'll have someone there with a similar phone that can replicate the issue. At a minimum that will narrow the issue down to either your phone or your head unit (hopefully still under warranty).

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Consider taking it in to the dealership. They'll obviously blame Google maps, but hopefully they'll have someone there with a similar phone that can replicate the issue. At a minimum that will narrow the issue down to either your phone or your head unit (hopefully still under warranty).
Sorry forgot to specify - this is from the wireless CarPlay module I added that OP started this thread with. I used the CarlinKit 3 or 4 model (I think 4). So this is not a factory issue.
Sponsored