Jeep JL Car Play Project.

Anotherwillsmith

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUSS
Love the setup and will be trying it myself but I am confused by the 4th and 8th picture. It looks like the Car2Play adapter is plugged into the console twice. Once through the female to female etc and once through the AXXESS adapter. It reads like a loop. I am sure its just me but can you help me understand where the AXXESS adapter is going coming out of the Car2Play?
Credit to @Jeepstrangler . I followed his direction. If you haven’t seen or used the car2play adapter yet - it has basically an input and output. Plug one end up to power the unit. the female end just works like a pass through so you can still access the usb port. The adapter simply allows you to connect the loop behind the dash so you’re still able to use the USB in dash for charging and what not.
Sponsored

hotsauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 2dr
Clubs

Credit to @Jeepstrangler . I followed his direction. If you haven’t seen or used the car2play adapter yet - it has basically an input and output. Plug one end up to power the unit. the female end just works like a pass through so you can still access the usb port. The adapter simply allows you to connect the loop behind the dash so you’re still able to use the USB in dash for charging and what not.
Perfect. That helps, thanks!

tribefan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys XR
I have a few questions about the potential drawbacks of these wireless CarPlay modules:
  1. Is it confirmed that there's an issue with parking in an attached/nearby garage and the phone still being connected to the home Wi-Fi will cause an issue if you don't manually change Wi-Fi connections before entering the vehicle? That alone sounds like a hassle I wouldn't want to deal with.

2. Is it possible to connect more than one phone to the module at a time and set one as a primary and one as the secondary?

3. Is there any issue with the phone remaining connected to CarPlay after you have exited the vehicle with the phone? A while back when some of these first came out I remember a number of people saying their phones remained connected a while after they have gotten out of the car and gone in the house or whatever.

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
I have a few questions about the potential drawbacks of these wireless CarPlay modules:
  1. Is it confirmed that there's an issue with parking in an attached/nearby garage and the phone still being connected to the home Wi-Fi will cause an issue if you don't manually change Wi-Fi connections before entering the vehicle? That alone sounds like a hassle I wouldn't want to deal with. NO
  2. Is it possible to connect more than one phone to the module at a time and set one as a primary and one as the secondary? Don't Know (don't think so)
  3. Is there any issue with the phone remaining connected to CarPlay after you have exited the vehicle with the phone? A while back when some of these first came out I remember a number of people saying their phones remained connected a while after they have gotten out of the car and gone in the house or whatever. NO

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
  1. Is it confirmed that there's an issue with parking in an attached/nearby garage and the phone still being connected to the home Wi-Fi will cause an issue if you don't manually change Wi-Fi connections before entering the vehicle? That alone sounds like a hassle I wouldn't want to deal with.
    No, however there is an issue if you are connected to your vehicles Bluetooth connection. You will want to forget your uconnect in the Bluetooth settings on your phone.

2. Is it possible to connect more than one phone to the module at a time and set one as a primary and one as the secondary? It may depend on each device’s capabilities, but to my knowledge you can only connect one device at a time. But you can connect multiple devices separately. But only one can be present at a time. Otherwise the first one it finds will be the one that it connects to
  3. Is there any issue with the phone remaining connected to CarPlay after you have exited the vehicle with the phone? A while back when some of these first came out I remember a number of people saying their phones remained connected a while after they have gotten out of the car and gone in the house or whatever. This will depend on the vehicle the device is installed on. If the vehicle’s radio remains on for awhile after you shut off and exit the car, then yes. However once you open a door in a Jeep the radio turns off and you will be disconnected.
See reply within the quote.

Sponsored

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

I love that the JL has Apple CarPlay, but hate the cords hanging out all over. So I bought a CarPlay2Air, to connect via WiFi. I tried using the port in the center console with the CP2A but had connectivity issues on that port, so I was using the media port below the radio. I was not at all satisfied with that setup. So I did a little in line mod, best of all it’s all plug and play.

Items needed:

1. Carplay2Air adapter
2. Female USB to Female USB adapter
3. AXXESS - USB Adapter Wiring Harness for Select 2010 and Later Vehicles - Multi
4. USB A to mini USB
5. Any double sided sticky tape or Velcro
BD9CF833-BD0F-417C-98C7-76CBC3683A94.jpeg

Steps 1 and 2 remove panels. You shouldn’t need to completely remove panel 1, just pop it loose. The pop off the radio/climate control panel, pull from the corner near the engine start/stop button.

DD7C8D66-46CB-4E0E-BD87-0663135B9627.jpeg

Remove radio/climate control panel and then remove screw 3, I recommend leaving all wires connected to the panel, so you can power up the radio when you are testing. Then pull out window switch panel but don't completely remove it. You only need to pull the panel out far enough to access the cable plugged in above the media port. (See next picture)

66E8AE7A-230C-4448-987F-6050D271AA23.jpeg

Find cable (4) to remove press clip on back and pull up. You will no use the cable with the white connector. If you attempt to use the cable with the white connector it will not work properly.

B4EE9DF6-BA78-46AD-8E2C-226F151CECAE.jpeg

Here you will attached the AXXESS - USB Adapter it will connect to the cable you just unhooked.

B9F177B3-96F0-4EE5-87F0-432459424CEA.jpeg

Insert the mini USB side of the cable into the port where you just removed the stock cable from.

FCB389F5-4567-48E8-B5C6-6B7A8E6EF32D.jpeg

Now its time to piece everything else together.

20A7AECE-737F-4444-9948-6427DD7F02FF_jpeg.jpg

6A244F2F-2A60-4120-AD3D-B526B64F108C.jpeg

Secure Carplay2Air in the below location. It keeps it up and out of the way. Manage your cables and tuck them in so they are out of the way of the control panel.

747BD958-0945-44C6-AE9F-A318DD602D2F.jpeg

Once it's all connected and secured, make sure its working and close it all back up.

59AC8F50-433E-416A-8A1A-F31C8C7CFC56.jpeg

All Done!!!! Works perfect.

Hit me up if interested or need help setting yours up.
Wait it doesn't have wireless Apple car play. I thought all new cars were wireless at thuis point.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I am convinced I am the only person that doesn't care about wireless carplay. I hate cords but also always plug my phone to charge, even if I am not using carplay. I have bought a really short cord that is just long enough to go from the USB to my 67 Designs mount so there isn't a lot of cord left to hang.

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

I am convinced I am the only person that doesn't care about wireless carplay. I hate cords but also always plug my phone to charge, even if I am not using carplay. I have bought a really short cord that is just long enough to go from the USB to my 67 Designs mount so there isn't a lot of cord left to hang.
This is the way

Sponsored

hotsauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 2dr
Clubs

2. Is it possible to connect more than one phone to the module at a time and set one as a primary and one as the secondary?

3. Is there any issue with the phone remaining connected to CarPlay after you have exited the vehicle with the phone? A while back when some of these first came out I remember a number of people saying their phones remained connected a while after they have gotten out of the car and gone in the house or whatever.
Perfect. That helps, thanks!
Success! Dash is clean again. Thank you!
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. 643975FA-9E88-4187-B30E-A0F77F7869AE

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm fairly confident that Li-Ion batteries degrade if you keep them plugged in when fully charged. That's why Pixels, for example, charge to 80% overnight and don't go to 100% until just before your alarm goes off.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I do the same, but only because none of the aftermarket wireless CarPlay options are good. They all have issues; either sluggishness, slow to connect, intermittent disconnects, etc.

Once Jeep adds integrated wireless CarPlay and I upgrade to that Jeep, then I'd be happy to use wireless charging.

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I have a cplay2air device that I bought when I had my 4runner and switched it over to the JLUR once I picked that up. I love it, but I would never run it behind the console because with both the 4runner *and* the jeep it will occasionally freak out and never connect to my phone and the only way to fix it (aside from turning off the vehicle, getting out, waiting 5-15 minutes and getting back in) is to unplug it and plug it back in.
Sponsored