OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Still all good so far! It has been a much better connection with no major issues. It connects by the time I pull off the driveway.

I still would highly recommend this mod!
Thanks CO_Jeep, I’m glad to hear it’s working good for you.
Sponsored

rcjpmp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
I followed these instructions and they worked great! Very easy and well written, and the pictures were a huge help! I also bought a course mount wireless charger and use it in conjunction with the wireless car play which is awesome!

I have a couple of questions on the setup:
1. I pulled the dash apart after a few days of the Wireless CarPlay and noticed the red light on it seems to always be illuminated. Which seems to indicate there is some level of constant draw on it. Anyone have issues with this killing their battery after a few days of the car sitting or possibly a week or so? I sometimes leave the Jeep at the airport and would hate to come back to a dead battery after a week.
2. Is there an easy way to switch between phones? Sometimes I’m driving and want my phone to lead the CarPlay but other times I’m in the back with my son and my wife is driving, and of-course would prefer CarPlay to work to her phone.

Here’s a pic of my wireless charger setup. With my iPhone 12 on it, it does indeed visibility of the top right corner, but if I need it, I just slightly rotate the phone and it’s fine. However for 99% of my use, I leave it up right and it’s great.
ACD4A14A-88B8-4748-956B-0A208AD69CEE.jpeg
I have that same Course Motorsports Magsafe charger mount on order. Do you just have it plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter (think thats what i'm seeing)? I am looking for a way to hard wire it in, behind the dash, so it turns on and off with my vehicle. Do you or anyone else know of an adapter to do this with a wireless charger like that? Thinking it will need to be a small USB-C PD inverter that taps into a 12v line, in order to take advantage of 15w Magsafe fast charging.

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So this is what I would recommend to get for what your needs are.
I have that same Course Motorsports Magsafe charger mount on order. Do you just have it plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter (think thats what i'm seeing)? I am looking for a way to hard wire it in, behind the dash, so it turns on and off with my vehicle. Do you or anyone else know of an adapter to do this with a wireless charger like that? Thinking it will need to be a small USB-C PD inverter that taps into a 12v line, in order to take advantage of 15w Magsafe fast charging.
Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/DGZZI-Conver...ocphy=9033108&hvtargid=pla-942094779976&psc=1

rcjpmp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe Sahara

Panda Mafia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
First of big thank you to @Jeepstrangler Lots of help for my little project

Right, finally got around to post.
When i saw this thread, i immediately wanted to do the same thing. With that said I also knew I wanted no wires with my phone charging.

This isnt going to be as thorough as OP post lol

I went ahead and bought 67 design mount. Then bought an amazon wireless magsafe charger and found solution for attaching the charger to 67 design with 17mm-20mm ball joint.

ESR HaloLock Magnetic MagSafe Car Charger [Wireless Car Charger] [Fast Charging] Air Vent Mount Compatible with iPhone 13/13 Pro/13 Pro Max/13 Mini/12/12 Pro/12 Pro Max/12 Mini/Magnetic Cases, Black : Amazon.ca: Electronics

20mm Aluminum Ball to 17mm Ball Adapter | by TACKFORM | Compatible with Garmin and Other GPS Devices with 17mm Balls : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Amazon.com: AGVEE [ 3 Pack] 90 Degree Right Angled USB-C Male to USB-C Female Adapter (Type-C 3.2 Gen 2) Video 10G Data Converter, Black : Electronics

Amazon.com: DGZZI DC Converter Buck Module 12V to USB 5V 3A DC-DC Converter Step Down Adapter for Car : Electronics

The install was simple.
Made a small hole in the 67 mount and into the car dash.
Cut the USB cable in order to fish through the 67 mount hole and all the way down. (needed to pull out the screen for some room. simple to do as well)
Then wired the chopped usb cable back together. (USB cable goes from Charger to Sig lighter Module)
I spliced the cig lighter wires and wired the USB module wires together.
Lastly connected together the USB Module and UBS cable and tucked everything away.

Here are some pictures. Sorry might not be the best pictures.

This is how it was initially.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. IMG_6471.JPG

Little USB corner connecter for cleaner look

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. IMG_6472.JPG

While trying to fish the UBS wire down, Ive had no room. I pulled the screen rubber frame out followed by the screen itself for more clearance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. IMG_6476.JPG

Spliced Cigarettes lighter wires

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. IMG_6473.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. IMG_6474.JPG

Wired Cig lighter wires and USB module wires together then some electrical tape.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. IMG_6477.JPG

Chopped of little plastic piece from USB Module for better fit next to Cplay2air.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. IMG_6478.JPG

Cplay2air with USB Module together sitting on double sides tape.
Yes I did wipe the screen after :P

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. IMG_6479.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. IMG_6480.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. IMG_6481.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. 50D07262-BE64-4DD7-93FB-07DE046BBBDB

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. 3995CF41-98DF-4A71-A18A-264D0C59B639

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rb75

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Can I ask how you're liking the Course Motorsports Magsafe charger mount with wireless charging, and how you ended up powering it to take full advantage of the wireless charging? I'm considering this for my 2018 JLUR. Thanks!

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
This thread has been great and I love no wires! I did it a little differently. I ended up going with the Ottocast U2-Now as it was $40 off Amazon for Prime Day (I believe it is still $40) and also because based on many reviews I read it was rated the highest. I haven't installed it behind the HVAC stack yet, but all the parts are on order and it should be done Friday. For now I have it hooked up in the center console.

I already had a 67 Designs carbon fiber arm and also already had an Apple MagSafe charger, so I ordered a RAM mount MagSafe holder and needed to order the 20mm-1" ball mount from 67d. Installed the converter and couldn't be happier with results.

Here are the parts I used:

RAM Mount Ball Adapter
Converter
USB-C to USB-A Adapter
Posi-Taps
67d Adapter
Apple MagSafe Charger

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Car Play Project. tempImagezl6TyE

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This thread has been great and I love no wires! I did it a little differently. I ended up going with the Ottocast U2-Now as it was $40 off Amazon for Prime Day (I believe it is still $40) and also because based on many reviews I read it was rated the highest. I haven't installed it behind the HVAC stack yet, but all the parts are on order and it should be done Friday. For now I have it hooked up in the center console.

I already had a 67 Designs carbon fiber arm and also already had an Apple MagSafe charger, so I ordered a RAM mount MagSafe holder and needed to order the 20mm-1" ball mount from 67d. Installed the converter and couldn't be happier with results.

Here are the parts I used:

RAM Mount Ball Adapter
Converter
USB-C to USB-A Adapter
Posi-Taps
67d Adapter
Apple MagSafe Charger

tempImagezl6TyE.jpg
Looks great. I’d would love to know where you got the red carbon fiber arm. Looks like 67 designs but I have seen one before now.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Looks great. I’d would love to know where you got the red carbon fiber arm. Looks like 67 designs but I have seen one before now.
It is 67d. I like the look of the red.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Project: Dash Mounted USB power for e-dock

Tools Needed
1. 10 mm wrench
2. Philips head screwdriver.
3. Dremel cutting tool, or sharp razor and some patients. (For cutting into dash)
4. Ruler or tape measure.
——————————————————————————

Products needed (click for link)
1. Flush Mount USB port (3ft cable)
2. Convert Step-Down Power Supply Module 12V 24V 8-35V to 5V 3A Dual USB Female Output Waterproof

——————————————————————————

Step one remove all necessary trim panels.

Once you have the Control Panel (2) Removed disconnect start button and control panel cables and set aside. Next remove window control panel by pulling straight back. You will want to pull panel out far enough to access cigarette 12v DC plug

Next will need to remove Stereo trim panel

Pull stereo trim panel off starting from the bottom and slowly work your way up Popping off all clips. Next remove for screws holding the stereo in place.

Once removed disconnect cables and push them out of the way. I recommend taking a picture of the back prior to removing cables so it’s easier to make sure everything is reconnected.
Next You will want to remove dash tray cover, and cut hole for USB plug, cut so USB plugs fit snug. Start small and make adjustments so plug fits tight.

Stereo is about 2” deep, so there should be plenty of room.

Insert USB ports by snapping into cut hole.
Next you will connect your power module
For this you will need to remove passenger side kick panel to connect ( - ) Negative ground wire. The ( + ) positive wire will connect to the 12v DC plug wire. Choose mounting location for power module and the run all wires and connect.

Instruction for removing kick panel

Once the plastic trim panel is removed. You will see these three grounding points. Use connect to one that is already being used. I used the one circled.

That will get you going. Everything else is just putting it all back together.
Did you ever figure out why the pictures aren't rendering? I'm thinking that these directions are exactly what I'm looking for to wire up two additional USB data ports on top of the dash (without the Car play mods that you previously posted), but they would be challenging to follow without pictures.

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@Ratbert I honestly don’t know why you are unable to see the images. If I had to guess I’d say it has something to do with your settings. Im not sure of any others who are having the same problem. I wish I could be of more help. Even when I click on your quote they show up for me. If you want to shoot me a PM maybe I can email them to you in a PDF or text them to you.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

@Ratbert I honestly don’t know why you are unable to see the images. If I had to guess I’d say it has something to do with your settings. Im not sure of any others who are having the same problem. I wish I could be of more help. Even when I click on your quote they show up for me. If you want to shoot me a PM maybe I can email them to you in a PDF or text them to you.
I tried using Edge instead of Chrome and they don't render. I logged out to make sure it wasn't some setting that I'd changed (e.g. dark mode that I highly recommend people try). So it doesn't seem to be my browser or one of my user settings.

The pictures in your initial post render fine, so there's something different about those and the secondary set that I referenced. PM them if you can, but that doesn't really help others that can't see them.

Would you mind editing the original post in this thread (it works fine) and the one I referenced, then click the gear icon to see the source? I'm thinking that there's some difference in how those images are referenced.

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I tried using Edge instead of Chrome and they don't render. I logged out to make sure it wasn't some setting that I'd changed (e.g. dark mode that I highly recommend people try). So it doesn't seem to be my browser or one of my user settings.

The pictures in your initial post render fine, so there's something different about those and the secondary set that I referenced. PM them if you can, but that doesn't really help others that can't see them.

Would you mind editing the original post in this thread (it works fine) and the one I referenced, then click the gear icon to see the source? I'm thinking that there's some difference in how those images are referenced.
So strange when I was reading your post I went back to copy the photos, but they wouldn’t load for me either. But after logging in to reply to your message they reappeared. So I’m gonna create a new thread and redo the post

Feb14bgirl

First Name
Norma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Diesel Rubicon JLU. 2022 GMC Sierra
I want to give a big thank you to Jeepstrangler for fixing my problem. Had my Jeep for a couple days and hated that I didn't have Bluetooth instant hookup. Hated being cut off when plugged into the center console. DO NOT want to see any usb cord using front plug. Bought the Car2play and the other three wires he mentions and the links made it sooooo easy to buy everything. My husband installed it in the dash following the very detailed instructions in less that 30 minutes. Today we drove for 5 hours and not ONE hiccup. I'm so happy! All the other threads about usb a to b to c were too confusing and not successful. This worked for me.
Sponsored